Driver sweeper

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Saifz, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Saifz

Saifz Guest

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    3 questions

what does it mean by the nvidia chipset?

can i go ahead and clean it?

how can i update my chipset drivers?

im running asus m4a87td-evo and when i goto the site for downloading drivers i only found the amd/ati chipset drivers

2. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    This is for motherboards that use Nvidia chipsets. Yours does not.

You could, it shouldn't find any enteries.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

Drop down list " Component Category " Select Chipset drivers and continue down to further select your motherboard configuration.

You can also download AMD Catalyst drivers which will not only update your AMD video card drivers but also your AMD motherboard drivers.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  3. Saifz

Saifz Guest

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    thnx

i found 7 entries and i deleted em

4. TomCat5

TomCat5 Guest

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    Hi,

I too have a question regarding Driver Sweeper...

I do get entries under 'NVIDIA - Chipset'. Actually, I get three NVIDIA entries:
    - NVIDIA - Chipset
    - NVIDIA - Display
    - NVIDIA - PhysX

Do I clean them all or would that get me into trouble?

Just trying to uninstall the driver that gives a 'code 43', since it makes my system ignore my graphic card and makes me end up in VGA mode :-/

Help would be appreciated big time! ;)

5. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Make a restore point before you do anything.

Follow directions from here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html

and here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=16154 < While following the directions, use Driver Sweeper instaed of " driver cleaner pro " unless you would like to purchase " driver cleaner pro " which also works well.

No reason to clean the chipset.

Clean the Display and the PhysX.

Follow the dirctions above and you should be good to go. Remember, you can always fall back on system restore if you run into trouble.

6. TomCat5

TomCat5 Guest

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    Thank you for replying!

Yesterday I gave it a go, before I had read your reply, just cleaning 'Display'. I was amazed to see it work, I actually got my grafics up and running again... untill I tried to open the nVIDIA configuration screen which made it crash again, dropping me in VGA mode again.

Today, after reading your post and studying the links you gave me, I tried again. This time I did it even more thouroughly. These were the steps I took:
    - Made sure I had the proper exe-file for the driver on my pc.
    - Unplugged internet.
    - Turned off my anti-virus.
    - Uninstalled the driver.
    - Re-booted infto safe mode.
    - Ran driver sweeper and made it clean both 'Display' and 'PhysX'.
    Immediately after cleaning, I saw windows automatically installing something again concerning nVIDIA, though have no idea what exactly. To make sure, I let driver sweeper search again and, though I had just cleaned them, I got a number of hits again, though less than before.
    This couldn't be good, I thought, so I turned off the driver, let driver sweeper clean again and let it search again after finding nothing. Indeed, I didn't see windows installing anything again automatically, so I thought it was ok.
    - Rebooted into normal mode.
    - Installed the new driver (did a 'clean' install, making it delete profiles too, just to be on the safe side). It installed very quickly. Too quickly and asked me to reboot already, not really having installed it completely, but I guess that had something to do with me ordering it to do a 'clean' install.
    - Rebooted again.
    - The nVIDIA-installer automatically took off again, actually installing it this time.
    - Rebooted.
    NO RESULT !
    Remembered reading somewhere on a forum that some people in some instances had to re-install it right after to get it to work, so, being desperate, I did just that, this time doing a 'custom' install. The driver installed again properly.
    - Rebooted.
    STILL NO RESULT !

Getting really desperate here! I know my graphic card itself is ok, since I got it to work again from time to time over the past week and a half, but each time I reboot it goes sour again and sometimes it even just crashed shortly after having worked for a while, each time resulting in the same deal... VGA-mode and blue, vertical stripes. The resolution does seem to stick now however, while it used to get reset to 800x600 after each boot.

So, I can't shake the idea that it's purely a software conflict and that it has to do with windows vista's updates. That changed something somewhere and is causing instability, forcing my graphic card into a kind off safe mode. Well, that's the feeling I get, being a noob in some degree.

So still... any thougths and help is much appreciated!!

7. TomCat5

TomCat5 Guest

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    To add to my last post...

Today, when I booted my pc, nVIDIA was up and running again, though my screen was reduced to a resolution of 800x600. I opened the nVIDIA configuration screen to change the resolution, chose the recommended one and clicked 'Apply'. Upon doing that, I got a 'BlueScreen' followed by a 'Crash dump'. Rebooted to presented once more with the same old problem... low resolution, blue vertical stripes and the nVIDIA-driver not functioning properly.

I had this happening 2 times earlier, exactly the same way, earlier this week. After reboot, I get the message that windows didn't sign off properly and it asks me to search for a solution for the problem. It comes up with the brilliant idea to try Windows update in order to search for an update for the driver (duh). It also states that the BlueScreen was provoced by 'nvlddmkm.sys', so it is indeed a driver-conflict.

It is strange though that trying to change the settings for the driver causes it to crash, isn't it? They can't expect me to watch a 800x600 reoluion all the time, can they? ;)

Would it help if I could copy/paste a certain txt-file or something? Maybe that would give some better insight to the problem to those people who have proper knowledge about these things?

8. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  9. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Did you re-istall the Chip set drivers? They don't have that driver in thier regular driver. Must get it seperate.

10. Shinzok

Shinzok Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 2GB

:eek::eek: what buy a driver cleaner, why would we do that ? :3eyes:

Companies need to make proper uninstallers, that is what needs to change.