1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driver Store Explorer (and cleaner)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by alanm, Nov 2, 2018.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Unless you uninstall your Nvidia driver prior to installing a new one, the old driver will be kept in the Driver Store folder. With several driver installations, these can accumulate to several gigabytes of useless junk on your system drive.

Driver Store Explorer allows you to see what they are and remove any old, unnecessary drivers:

https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer

Must run as admin to remove old drivers.

[​IMG]

evgenim, norton, xlollomanx and 2 others like this.
  2. endbase

endbase Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Me like this tool thx alot :)

3. Venomsword

Venomsword Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX-GTX1080
    Been using this tool for a few months. No problems.

4. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    >Unless you uninstall your Nvidia driver prior to installing a new one, the old driver will be kept in the Driver Store folder. With several driver installations, these can accumulate to several gigabytes of useless junk on your system drive.

the modern disk cleanup removes old drivers.

alanm likes this.
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Thanks, good to know. Was aware of the clean system files option in disk cleanup, but wasnt sure what exactly was removed and what remained. Generally I like to see a detailed list of what is removed.

endbase likes this.
  7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Doesn't seem to do a great job of it. Try it, run drive store explorer, note old drivers.
    Then run disk cleaner with driver option enabled and then re-run driver store explorer.
    disk cleaner listed some small kb amount and I didn't see any difference in the driver store.
    I still had 2 older vid drivers listed among some usb ones.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its on a Days Old filter, if you tweak the registry so diskcleaup removes anything older than 0 days it'll clean out all recently supersceded drivers.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I dont think there are any existing reg keys that can be tweaked as such. You need to create and register additional CLSID handlers for the disc cleaner to do the extra tasks.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/lwef/disk-cleanup#the-windows-disk-cleanup-utility

Which all seems far more of a hassle than just using Driver Store Explorer to do it. At least with the latter you are presented with a list of the items you can selectively remove vs doing some task on the blind that requires multiple steps and effort.

10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    The older drivers weren't days old, more like yr old, I had 3 Asmedia USB in there and the vids were months old.

11. Strange Times

Strange Times Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB UV
    +600mb free thx