Driver not starting Radeon HD5770

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Patu, May 20, 2011.

1. Patu

Patu New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5770
    Had some problems with my previous card, Nvidia 9500GT, and changed it to Radeon HD 5770.

Took me two nights, before finally gave up on the new 11.5/11.5a drivers.
    "Direct3D functionality not available", no matter what I tried.

The 10.5 drivers that came with the card started working, allthough must "update drivers" through device magager every time the computer is started or rebooted.
    The Nvidia card did the same with the drivers, so I assume it is actually not the card or the drivers, but what might be causing this behaviour?

Once the OS (XP Pro SP3) is up and running, I can go to device manager, and "update drivers" for the card with yellow exlamation mark, and both cards will start working, but at start-up, they just do not want to participate.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
    Motherboard: Asus P5E64 WS PRO
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/28/07 17:35:36 Ver: 08.00.12
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2814MB RAM (2 x 2GB)
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    PSU: 500W (brand new)

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Use driver sweeper to remove all other drivers including old nVidia ones and try 10.10e hotfix, they were the best for those cards I remember

3. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    until 11.6 comes out, that would be the best

if the nv card did the same, then something's really wrong with your OS or directx install right?

4. Patu

Patu New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5770
    Thanks, I'll give those 10.10e drivers a try.

Starting to think that it could be a IRQ-sharing problem.

Both, the Nvidia card and the 5770 (with 10.5 drivers) do work once I have gone through the motions of "updating" drivers in device manager, but have to do it again every time the machine is started or rebooted.

5. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    I've had similar problems with my friend's PC. He had an ASUS motherboard (don't remember model number tho) and he changed old NVIDIA GF 7600GT to Radeon HD5770. New card just didn't want to work properly, very similar to what you had described.
    It turned out that BIOS update fixed all of the issues, because new card wasn't properly supported by motherboard.
    After checking BIOS updated for your motherboard, there is a few since 2007 that enhances VGA compatibility. Newest BIOS for your board is from 2009, so it's good to update.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=22&m=P5E64+WS+Professional&os=&hashedid=8en7slvCnVgj2tr7
    Just select WinXP->BIOS and download the newest version. Under Windows you can update using ASUS Update tool if you don't know hot to do it from DOS. Or maybe your BIOS has an updater built in?

After updating drivers install newest Catalyst, because this card is supported from a long time and it shouldn't be any problems installing any version of new Catalyst.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  6. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    oh wow i completely forgot to look up the motherboard

recently a friend got a 5670 or something (no power connector) for an old mobo (~2006/2007, nforce chipset) & a bios update was needed for it to even post

7. Patu

Patu New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5770
    Updated the motherboard bios, but no change.

The 10.10e drivers seem to be just for Win7, which are the best working drivers for XP?

8. BENtayan89

BENtayan89 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X
    get windows 7. u have a dx11 card but ur still using xp?
    whats the point then?

9. Patu

Patu New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5770
    From my experience (since 1987) with the computers, it has taken MS about 5 years to get their Windows OS:s fixed to a point where the reliability is at acceptable levels in "above basic" systems.
    The amount of unnecessary bloat increases by tenfold with each new OS, which means I have to use that much more time to clean them up, so until they come up with some actual improvement, I am sticking with XP.

The DX9c does work fine with the 10.5 drivers

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Update your experience and get Windows 7 (x64) Pro instead of messing with new drivers on a soon to die XP.

11. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

Hi...

When it Comes to DX9 Games Windows XP is Better , A Slight Increase in FPS with Allmost all DX9 Games and It's Little bit more Smooth too, WEN IT COMES TO DX10 and DX11 Windows 7 is the Way to Go....... So i Have Dual Boot :)

12. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    shift 2 runs worse on xp :nerd:

of course, it's an exception

13. V1tol

V1tol Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    My experience shows me that Win 7 is better. I had a notebook with Turion X2 (1.8 GHz) and nVidia Geforce 7000 IGP. Warcraft 3 on XP with 800x600 and low settings lagged as hell. I blamed slow AMD CPU, sh*t NV GPU. But after installing Windows 7 on it I could play W3 with 1024x768 and Mid graphics mostly with 60 fps. Working on computer also became more plesant because Explorer did not hang whole system when you tried to browse a folder with 2400+ photos in it. System booted faster and didn't lag on easy and common tasks, like opening a Start menu.

Since beta versions till now Windows 7 had better perfomance doing common tasks than XP. If you don't want to have problems on XP with your new graphics card designed for Windows 7, my advice is to install modern OS on your computer.

14. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Since BIOS update didn't help, maybe it's your system that is messing up the drivers. It would suggest so because two graphic cards behave similar.

Can you try doing fresh install on some spare HDD (just to be sure before real reinstall)? That way you would rule out OS software problems.

If this won't help, you will have to check piece by piece, starting from RAM and PSU.

15. Patu

Patu New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5770
    Have no spare HD:s, they are all full :)

Anyway, this gave me a reason to order a 120GB SSD drive for my new OS disk...

Will continue during the weekend...

16. Patu

Patu New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5770
    Okey, the card is working with fresh installation, so now I have to trace the problem in the old XP installation, ie. start cleaning the registry manually...

17. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    I would starting by uninstalling everything ATI/AMD/NVIDIA, including Physx Runtimes, Avivo codecs etc.
    Then go to Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper - newest version is 3.0.0, don't use the old one from Guru3D download site. In sweeper check all ATI/NVIDIA graphic driver etc. After sweeping is done, restart in normal mode, be sure that you see standard VGA under graphic cards in device manager and then begin new driver installation.

Before installing new driver you can reinstall your DirectX to newest build (June 2010):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3b170b25-abab-4bc3-ae91-50ceb6d8fa8d

18. Patu

Patu New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5770
    Thank you for the tip.

Already noticed the one from Guru3D download site leaving loads of related files on the system, just like the registry was anything but cleaned after running the registry cleaner (CCleaner) several times.

Last edited: May 31, 2011