Driver issues with Sli

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PurSpyk!!, Aug 6, 2009.

1. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Hi

I am trying to sdetup my new Sli setup, I have a Asus P6T Deluxe Motherboard, and 2 XFX Black Edition graphics cards, and and I am running Windows Vista 32 with SP2.

Both cards are shown in the Device Manager, but the Nvidia Control Panel has no option to enable Sli. If I disable one of the graphics cards in the Device Manager, and then reboot the computer, and then re-enable the disabled graphics card, then the Sli option is available in the Nvidia Control Panel.

The problem with Sli enbled is then when I reboot the computer crashes, with a blue screen IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I have tried the follwoing drivers:
    182.50, 182.42, 186.18, 190.38, 190.56. Each driver give the same problem.

I use a driver cleaner each time before installing the new drivers

I have also installed the lassted motherboard BIOS, and also the latest Intel chipset drivers.

Nothing helps, any ideas, please!!

2. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Check if youre X-FI shares IRQ with youre two cards? I had the same problem earlier when I had my Titanium sharing IRQ with my 2 260´s. I had to swap out my titanium for my older Xtreme Gamer X-FI because I had no PCI-E lane that had a different IRQ than 16? Now I have both my 260´s sharing IRQ16 (which is perfectly fine) and my PCI X-FI @ IRQ17. Now my system is stable, and Im happy! :) But it was really hard for me to get everything to fit, but now it works fine! So I think it could be a nvidia problem, or else its the poor drivers from creative? Hope this helps!

3. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3080
    He's using Vista, IRQs are automatically managed and you can't mess with them.

Have you tried switching the order of the cards to verify both of them work without issue? One card could have a problem. Also get GPUZ and verify your PCI-E lanes are running at 16x.

4. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Yes IRQs are automatically managed, I never said He could change IRQ. I said if he only has IRQ 16 available to him he is propably screwed. Took several days for me to get everything as it should. Try reading my post, and you´ll see what I told him?

5. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Hi,

My sound card is using IRQ 17, the one GTX is IRQ 24 the other IRQ 30. I did notice though that the sound card is sharing the same IRQ as PCI Express ports 1, 5 & 6

6. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Master Guru

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when ever i got this message it was due to a bad stick of ram

"Sometimes though, especially with the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error, even that is not enough. This is where you get hardcore with the troubleshooting. In the BIOS, load Fail-Safe defaults, disable the onboard modem, sound, and LAN (where applicable). Take out all the cards, with the exception of video, and run the machine for a while. If the machine stays stable, then start adding/re-enabling the devices one by one. Keep in mind that modern motherboards share IRQ's across PCI slots, so try not to put a sound card and a modem right next to each other. They don't seem to think that's funny every once and a while. Anyway, do this one by one until you start crashing again."

7. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    Does it happens when your cpu is on default clocks, sounds like something is unstable in your system, cpu preferably, or low voltage of some of the chipset part (NB SB or PCIE).

8. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Yes you can. IRQ can be changed depending on the installed port, the PCIE version of Creative sound cards are very, very well known for causing problems anyway.

9. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    I have tested my memory using memtest, tested overnight without any issues. I will try the Fail-Safe BIOS options. The problem I have with 2 GTX graphics cards is the only slot availalbe for my sound card is the PCI slot betweeen the 2 cards. I have the PCI version of the sound card.

Reset all the BIOS settings, ie no overclock same issue. I have a Corsair HX850W PSU, so there should be no issues.

As a test I used a new hard drive, installed Windows 7, with all devices installed, ie not other hardware was chnaged, same BIOS settings, I used the same sound card and graphics drivers that I used in Vista, and Sli is working 100%.

So does this mean the only solution is to reformat my main drive and re-install? I have been trying to avoid a reformat.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  10. SumLeetNub

SumLeetNub Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 780Ti DirectCU II
    Formatted, installed, updated graphics card drivers THEN x-Fi drivers? thats how I only ever install sound drivers (old problem with an ooooooooooooooold sound card years ago) and i've never had problems.

Have ya tried uninstalling the x-Fi drivers, cleaning em with sweeper or cleaner.net? enabling sli then installing the drivers for the x-Fi?

11. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    I unistalled the sound card drivers and removed the card, same problem. I think it is something to do with the way Vista has assigned IRQs to my various devices. My Windows 7 install on a different drive solved the problem on the same hardware, with both cards installed and the sound card.

Can you change the IRQ the sound card uses, I have noticed in System Information that the Sound card is sharing the same IRQ as 3 PCI Express Root Ports.

12. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    thats pretty normal.

if you want to reassign device iq's though, just force an update of the HAL.

13. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Hi, how do you force and update of the HAL, I am using Windows Vista? If this solves the issue it will save me having to re-install.

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    i used to have vista 64 worked great for me,however ii now use windows rtm and it is better than vista,i suggest you dump vista and go get windows 7 and clear your problem up

when i installed windows 7 only driver i had to install was my gpu driver,you dont have to install anything,its very good windows 7 is,forget vista,also make sure you get the 64 bit version,forget 32 bit

send me a pm and ill show you were to get windows 7

15. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    you won't if you keep being so open about it....

16. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Hi, I am a Windows Technical Beta Tester, so I am getting Windows 7 later tonight. I still would like to know how to force a HAL update.

17. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    check memory voltage, even tho its not oc'd it may still be wrong

18. BoudahXL

BoudahXL Member

GPU:
    GTX295 BFG
    If your OC borderline temp wise, if so, consider this. Those cards are real good heat conductors, while a setup can pass multiple OC torture, getting everything to push heat at the same time is something else.

If your 2 cards are pushing 80 degrees through the pci-e slots to your mobo, your chipset might get hotter than tested throughout your OC tests.

If you fan case are blowing air upward your memory the same results can occur. Try lowering frequencies to defaults, then test again. If this work try upping those frequencies after extended time of gameplay.

Another thing you might wanna try is running the same problematic app/game with videocard fan at full speed and see what happens.

19. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    updater the computer type driver to standard, then use Devcon

that was for XP though, so not sure if it still works on NT6 versions.

20. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Hi,

Got it working, re-installed Windows, the actual problem with the IRQ blue screen crash was changing the Windows boot files. If I edit the file using System Configuration, click on the Boot tab, select No GUI Boot, the crash reappears. So I have left this all on the defaults and all is working. Games run fantastically well. The only issue I do have is the newer of the 2 cards does not downclock, ie it always runs in 3D mode. According to XFX this is by design. Odd as now there is unnecessary heat.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009