Driver issue and questions.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by topcat77, Oct 26, 2022.

1. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    Back a couple month ago I asked about a issue I was having where I thought the screen was rolling. You gave me some answers. So I was reading on another forum and someone was talking about the driver timming out. I have never heard of this but, the issue I am having seems to be more like the driver disengaging and reengaging. Dose this make amn sense?

What driver should I be using? The AMD site usually ofers 3 drivers. 1. recommended (whql), 2.without (whql) 3. a pro driver.

Also should I just install the driver without all that other stuff?

2. S3r1ous

S3r1ous Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700
    If you stick to borderless fullscreen/windowed you should have less problems, newest driver also seems to have fixed a lot of those black screen issues.
    You can also switch renderers/turn off Hardware Acceleration for you media player/browser if its still happening.

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6600 XT
    If WHQL is 22.5.1 still, that's ideal for being the most up-to-date driver before the significant changes made on newer drivers. VR and video encoding was broken in various ways since 22.5.2 in May, and still have some oddities even with 22.10.2.

The Pro driver I believe used to be notable for being more up-to-date than the latest WHQL Adrenalin/gaming drivers, without having as-drastic of changes found in the newer drivers. I'm not sure if the Pro drivers have the drastic changes in 22.5.2+ or to what degree.

Non-WHQL are the newest drivers AMD offers and ideally should be tried first unless you're going to be affected by a known issue in the release notes. If you have a 6900 XT, I'd install the latest non-WHQL driver first (currently 22.10.2).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  4. shm0

shm0 Member Guru

GPU:
    6800XT
    Pro drivers are as broken as all drivers after 22.5.1

Cp0 likes this.