driver install only without nvidia control panel and other stuff?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by jeff69dini, Apr 21, 2017.

1. jeff69dini

jeff69dini Member

GPU:
    evga 2gb gtx 750ti
    hello, sorry for posting this question as I just switched from an amd card to a nvidia one, I know under amd I used to always manually install the driver only using device manager

I tried doing the same under the nvidia one but it also installed control panel and other stuff, is just the driver install possible? or do you guys just leave everything as is, control panel and all?

thanks, as I am really unsure about the whole nvidia driver scheme :)

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I don't think there's any reason to not have the panel. It's crucial for configuring the card.

3. jeff69dini

jeff69dini Member

GPU:
    evga 2gb gtx 750ti
    thanks, it also installed something called nvidia 3d vision driver, physx system software, and vulkan run times

are these ok?

4. Sabbath

Sabbath Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Hi jeff69dini,
    Download the driver you want too install. Pick custom install uncheck the things
    you don't want/use. PS: driver & control panel go hand & hand.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    You don't need the 3D vision driver if you don't have a 3D vision monitor and 3D vision glasses.

When you install, you need to select the "custom" install option. There, you can uncheck the stuff you don't want. I always uncheck everything except the driver and physx. Everything else (3D vision, Geforce experience and the audio drivers) is something I don't need. If you want to use your graphics card as an audio card which sends the audio through HDMI, then you need the audio drivers too. I assume most people don't have any need for this either.

The Vulkan runtime is for being able to run Vulkan games and is not optional. It always gets installed, otherwise you can't run those games (Doom 4 is the most known Vulkan game.)

Whether or not you want Geforce Experience is up to you. It's this thing:

http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience

I don't use it. However, if you want to capture in-game footage, then it's needed since it provides "ShadowPlay", an almost zero-overhead video capture function (no FPS loss while recording game footage.)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  6. jeff69dini

jeff69dini Member

GPU:
    evga 2gb gtx 750ti
    thanks to you both! helpful :)