Driver install failed win7

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by s3fr, Jun 3, 2011.

1. s3fr

s3fr Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4770 900/1020
    Had 11.5a installed, got rid of em via driver sweeper, tried installing 11.5b and its been failing. Heck now 11.5a even reports a failed installation. Also tried installing via device manager manually, it gave me a message saying the .inf doesnt contain any information about my device. I got an older hotfix to install, the one that was out with a fix for the "incompatible cards error"(11.5).

Ran driver sweeper again and gave 11.5a n 11.5b another shot to no avail.

Any idea whats wrong?

<-- System config

2. mstcobra

mstcobra Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti (H2O)
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. I too have had this same exact problem once and since then I have never again used driver sweeper.

As to finding a solution to your problem can you explain the exact process in which you used to uninstall your driver in detail?

example:
    -Uninstalled from control panel add/remove programs
    -restarted, checked for/deleted all ati folders that were still there
    -restarted again into safe mode and ran driver sweeper as admin
    -restarted and attempted to install

3. s3fr

s3fr Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4770 900/1020
    nvm, i reinstalled windows, ran into some issues with my xp setup, thought while i was at it why not reinstall 7, the hotfix installed sans error.

Gonna skip driver sweeper from now on, on 7 atleast, that was the 2nd time the problem happened, solved it the first time by performing a repair install :(

thnks fr the reply tho.

as fr the order it was control panel uninstall>safe mode sweep>reboot n install attempt

4. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    I don't touch any registry cleaners with Windows 7 now. Registry cleaning does more damage than good and I've never read a good reason for doing on Windows 7. There isn't any evidence to show it's a good habit.

I just use the normal uninstaller (express uninstaller), reboot and install new drivers. Haven't had any issues, hotfix or official. This is what AMD says to do anyhow.

5. mstcobra

mstcobra Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti (H2O)
    I personally just install over the old drivers. The only time I uninstall first is when I had a problem with a driver or when I wish to go back to a older driver/CCC version since the install manager wont allow a "downgrade".

When the $*** really hits the fan then I do a express uninstall, reboot, run ati crap cleaner, run CCleaner, check for left over files and folders and delete them, reboot again and reinstall. This process has never failed me but like I said before, I only do it after I have a serious problem. Other than that I view it as extra work and an unnecessary risk.

I avoid cheap or aggressive registry cleaners and I will never again use drive sweeper. As for CCleaner I find it to be a good program and after about a year of use with it on windows 7 I have not yet had a problem with it. I have even tested it by doing things like deleting a programs folder but not uninstalling it and viola CC picks up the extra reg entries. Also before doing a registry repair it gives you the option to backup all the changes that will be made to your registry. So I say why not but to each his own.

6. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    I prefer to follow AMD's recommendation on driver install than doing whatever it is I think is better or whatever I think is how it should work.

But whatever, do your thing, you know better than AMD.

7. mstcobra

mstcobra Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti (H2O)
    Typical **** from a typical flamer :bang:

Where in there did I write that I know better than AMD? Where in there did I offend you? Where in there did I say that my way was the best way or the right way or the way that you or anyone else should do it?

I even put this in at the end:
    To avoid offending or giving crybaby over sensitive flamers like yourself a reason to try and burn me or turn your flame guns on.

What is it with people like you anyway? Are you normal people with just a bad temper?

Or are you this:
    [​IMG]

and the only way you can feel like a man or feel big is to jump at any excuse to flame or try to insult people that are only trying to help.