driver for 9800 pro questions

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oczad, Feb 17, 2006.

1. oczad

oczad New Member

i want to try the 6.2 and/or6.1 cats and now using 5.12. The reason i want to update is to see if i can get any better performance till i get a new PC with PCI express which will be a ways down the road. In the past i've had problems installing the driver only, and i don't want CCC. Is there a way to install the 6.1 or 2 and get just the driver and CP?

The problem i had in the past was that if i tried installing the driver and CP seperatly the PC would never recognise the driver was installed no matter what i tried.

Also, any other advice is welcome regarding the best driver and/or way to get the most out of the 9800 pro. I also should say OC'ing has always resulted in artifacts unless i didn't OC too high in which case no benefits were seen. All i want to get out of this is the ability to go up one size in res from my current 800x600 in FEAR w/o choppy low FPS.

2. 8itgreat

8itgreat Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb w/Si
    don't think that card is good enough for FEAR... i played around with it and never got an acceptable fps with that game....heck even the latest and greatest cards out there now will be brought to their knees with this game

sometimes playing with settings will help a bit...

3. oczad

oczad New Member

What?! It plays fine with it ! All i want is a bit better performance so i can go to the next highest res. The game CAN look better, but i've played thru it twice with no issues at all and pretty good graphics. I just want to get it a bit better is all. I'm not sure why i keep hearing how hard a time most PC's have with this game. Even with a 9800 at 800x600 it looks pretty close to my other games like FC and HL2 which i run almost full.

4. AzuIe

AzuIe Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6800 Stock 500+core1gig+mb:D
    hey i got a 9800 pro and i just push omptimize the settings.. then i turn off the mofo settings down and kept the shadows on, textures mediam. enable bump maps. Vsync off. 1024x768 reso.. plays around 35-40 fps lowest i hit was like 25.. my settings are 405/364... omega 6.1 drivers. i installed and did not touch any 3d settings... or is it better if u do. anywayz thats what my mofo'in comp is

250$ 9800 pro ****ty card for FEAR? #cries# makes me feel sad for buyin it... runs great on all games.. FEAR is the only game that seems a little down.

5. oczad

oczad New Member

for what it's worth, unlike what i've heard many say about the cat 6.2's, i installed them last nite and got a slight FPS improvment in fear. They definatly work well with older cards, or at least they CAN if you don't have something else going on in your system thats clashing somehow.

6. mildew

mildew Member Guru

GPU:
    Triplex 9800pro
    download the "driver only" version of 6.2 off the ati webpage and use "ati tray tools" instead of the controll panel.

m

7. oczad

oczad New Member

I used fraps last nite and noticed my FPS is actually quite good. Lowest was 29 but it seemed to average about 45-50 ! And this with a 8900 pro ! So to those who say it won't run fear, boy are you ever wrong ! Granted, it's not at high settings. But it looks plenty good enough and when i tried high settings, tho i couldn't play due to very low FPS, when not moving and just looking at the world thge main difference was the antialiasing of the edges. Other than that it didn't look a hell of a lot better. Certainly not enough to notice when concentrating on gameplay.