Driver Cleaning/Clean install help

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by OrdinaryOregano, Feb 12, 2013.

1. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Hi there, I wanted to get a consensus on which driver cleaning software are people using for the ATI/AMD drivers. I had been using Driver Sweeper and then Driver Fusion for a while but I feel the free version of Driver Fusion doesn't work and I'm not aware of any other methods for a clean driver install.

Thanks.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I use Driver Sweeper (the latest build). Have done for years.

And no it doesn't mess up your system.

3. OrdinaryOregano

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Did it not get discontinued? And that its "successor" was Driver Fusion.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Yeah driver fusor is their new version. I dont use it, still use the old lastest driver sweeper

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The full version of Driver Fusion costs money.

6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Yes, its successor is Driver Fusion.

The thing is, you need the paid version of Driver Fusion to delete some registry entries that the latest Driver Sweeper can do just fine, but DF does clean a bit more thoroughly than the latest DS.
    So, what I usually do after an express uninstall (the preferred way to uninstall a driver set) is to run DF first, then DS, under Safe Mode right after restarting post-uninstall.

7. Joe 69

Joe 69 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB
    For my win 7 64b I use ATIman, driver sweeper and cc Cleener like this:

I Use atiman:press automatc full mode, he works, then reboots and after start-up he works again. when he stops press to continue for next generation mode till he compleates.
    At this point, atiman says to install new driver without rebooting, but I don't do it.
    I close atiman, reboot and enter in save-mode.
    At this point windows uses his basic vga low resolution drivers (you can change the 400x800 resolution in controll panel>monitor for a higher setting to work better )
    I use driversweeper to see if there is something to clear (i never found nothing) then open CC cleaner ( and here I always find a lot of things that atiman leaved and I delate them).
    I reboot and at start-up win uses his vga drivers.
    So now I install all with ati install manager and when all is installed, the last reboot.

This is what I do....I don't know if it's right but never caused a problem to me.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  8. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN... Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7850 OC 2GB
    On Windows 7 I simply use the amd uninstall utility, works like a charm. I have been trying out various drivers/betas over the past week with no issues.

On windows 8 the uninstaller can cause issues so be a bit more selective.

9. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Windows 7 x64.

1st Amd Driver uninstall utility
    2nd ATIMan automatic mode
    3rd Reboot
    4th Driver Sweeper (old version) to catch any stragglers. I ignore what ATIMan says about using driver sweeper afterwards.

Then...

Install new version and set all CCC options that will have become reset eg. GPU scaling etc.

(ATIMan is the only one that seems to clear OpenCL properly if you want to downgrade to an older OpenCL version)

And if that entire lift and shift driver removal operation still plays up, I re-install Windows 7 x64, which should only really be used as a completely last resort.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  10. Luumpy

Luumpy Master Guru

GPU:
    470gtx s/c
    Driver cleaners are a total waste of time. Haven't been relevant for years now.

11. popeye

popeye Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    I'v had glitches only cleaning drivers would fix. Then again, I have switchable laptop which is a nightmare anyway. Most people may not need to clean other than use the CIM uninstaller.

12. Joe 69

Joe 69 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB
    Strange thing..
    Making a lot of tests I sean that if I only use atiman without reboot (like atiman says to do), I allways fail driver install....so I have to reboot to install them.

I'm a little affraid to use Amd Driver uninstall utility because in some threads guys saying that sometimes it makes messes, exactly more in win8 (AMD now put on his site that it is for only win7, see http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx ) and sometimes even in win7.

I agree that ATIMan is the only one that seems to clear OpenCL properly if you want to downgrade to an older OpenCL version but like i'm doing now (see my previous post) I discoverd that atiman leaves something that only CC cleaner sees and driversweeper dosen't.
    Perhaps why I'm with last version of driversweeper.

What version of driversweeper you have ?? Because I read that the old one haves bugs that make messes sometimes.

Anyway atiman is the best....goes cleaning almost everythig, if use only driversweeper it leaves a lot of stuff.

Did you ever had trouble with Amd Driver uninstall utility??

13. OrdinaryOregano

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Anybody have ATIMan link? I found a Russian page but no download link.

14. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
  15. OrdinaryOregano

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X

16. Joe 69

Joe 69 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB
    Hei guys look at this about AMD Uninstall utilitiy......

..... http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=374850

that's why I'm affraid to use it.......like i said in my previuos post, sometimes it makes messes.

In a lot of threads I discover that it's never used one solution or method to make a clean install for new drivers :
    utilities going good for some going bad and making messes for others so.....

now I think that it’s even appropriate to prepare your system for using utilities to make a clean install……using CC Cleaner then sfc/scannow and then rebooting first of your utilities because if the OS haves an unknown previous problem and then something goes wrong after using utility…..can’t be sure to blame your utility or your installing method for the problem.
    This little waste of time is better than a big waste of time for reinstalling all the OS !!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  17. poppy10

poppy10 Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 280X
    Yep. Even AMD Catayst Maker says he just installs new drivers over the top of the old ones, doesn't even bother to uninstall through the control panel let alone using some driver cleaner utility.

Driver Cleaner hosed my Win7 system back in the day, wasn't able to install SP1 and had to reinstall the whole OS. Since then I've just installed new drivers over the top and never had a single issue. Frame rates and 3dmark scores are right where they should be so no performance hit at all either.

18. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Heh...no wonder the driver team seems like it's having difficulties pinpointing reported problem(s) in a set, and always manage to fix one thing and break another.

19. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Hmm, so I uninstalled 13.2 beta drivers recently, manually removed files, and manually removed some registry keys, and then installed 13.1

GPU-Z complained about some OpenCL bug though, which seems to only occur if leftover files exist and somehow break it? Not sure if OpenCL even worked after that or not, but it was still kind of concerning...

20. Scyphe

Scyphe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon 7950@1150/1700
    I express uninstall with Catalyst Installer, then I directly run the last version of Driver Sweeper before it became payware. Have never caused any issues for me.