Driver broke card?! (1050)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Lex Luthor, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Yesterday I decided to update to 385.28 from 381.xx. Got the "Nvidia installer failed". So I think great, time to do the windows dance. After many attempts, DDU safe mode, device manager, other drivers, head banging, I reinstalled my old gtx 275...no issues during install and all works as should.

So did the driver break the GPU? Probably not but it is possible. Most likely it just decided to crap out at that time. EVGA ticket submitted.

Thought some of you would want to know and comment.

Lex

P.S. Damn you Superman! Just for that I'm getting you a Vega for Xmas...cook your arse!

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Driver can't "kill" a GPU.

Shady757 likes this.
  3. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    If Nvidia can change cards' idle state clocks with just the driver, without touching the bios, then I say it's possible.However, a pre-existing gpu fault, needs to be present in order for the driver to have such an impact..i.e., The gpu in question was already on it's way and the new driver just gave it that lil extra push out the window.

4. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Have you installed Intel iGPU?

5. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    Alot of users have had driver installation failures, doesn't mean it's hardware related.

6. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    @Dragon, yea pretty much what I think.

@Khan, no igpu install.

@guru1, oh yea, dealing with drivers and stuff for more than a couple decades.

What caused it is and will likely be unknown but interesting to theorize about.
    Bottom line is the card is dead and RMA received. Will mail tomorrow.

Lex

P.S. Superman you did this somehow AND I WILL GET YOU!

7. Fearmania

Fearmania Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 650 Ti 1 GB
    I'm sorry for my bad English.
    Everyone thinks the same. But when I updated the driver of my display card many years ago, the stability of my display card deteriorated. I could not fix this with dozens of windows setups and different drivers. Obviously I do not trust drivers very much.
    Actually I think this problem is caused by poor quality PSU.
    (Palit 9800 GT - 190.62 Driver)

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    What?
    Poor quality PSU for a GTX1050 when a GTX275 runs flawless with that exact same PSU?
    You need to read a bit up on power consumption for the different Nvidia chips m8.
    The lower end chips like GTX 750 Ti, GTX 1050 both as Ti and none Ti is what can be used for gaming in prebuild machines with a 300-350W PSU!

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You also probably have slept around this time? So maybe it's you sleeping that is killing GPUs?

10. Fearmania

Fearmania Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 650 Ti 1 GB
    I don't understand.I do not trust drivers anymore because of this problem.

11. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Easy fix OP, just install the latest Intel Chipset Driver then disable your page file.

12. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Thanks for the advice but the card has hardware failed and drivers or settings won't fix that.
    Would like to hear the logic/citation on the page file statement....

P.S. Superman, get away from that boot del key!

13. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    HAHHAHA Yes it can.

Guess you dont remember the nvidia driver that broke fan speeds on GTX 260/GTX 280 cards and shut the fans off completely and some did not have thermal protection and cooked themselves.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Probably, hopefully, it was just a coincidence, GPU was on it's way out and when the driver reset the device as part of the install process it just shut down. Hopefully the RMA goes through without issue and you get a good replacement. :)

Without too much of a wait time too which can be a bit of a hassle, at least if you have a spare GPU or a on-die iGPU it's not as critical but it's never fun when hardware fails, though what could have caused it?
    (I'm a bit of a amateur at best so I don't really know everything but a faulty GPU should show signs of failure no? Or perhaps it just shorted or failed, guessing it might not even show signs of damage if so.)

15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What's driver has to do with some cards not having thermal protection? Did it remove it as well?

16. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Hi Jonas, yes gpu's usually show a sign of failure. Typically for guru3d members it's likely OC'ing and artifact with progressive heat degradation of components on the board. But there's many ways and reasons for a failure. As an old engineer, and just guessing, it's a semiconductor pci interface failure on this card. No physical issues, burnt components or bad solder connections are present. 1 in X.XXXX% of semiconductor manufacture. As for the driver, as I said I just wanted others thoughts but it is possible the driver toggled a combination of things that exacerbated an existing fault/weakness. I do think, without any evidence and just intuition, it would not have failed if I didn't do a driver update.

A mute point though as arguing about why it's raining rather than we're all wet!

P.S. Curse you Superman, may your semiconductors get over doped!

17. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yes, this is clearly a driver's doing and not some wise guy pushing the card outside of safe power parameters manually.

Shady757 likes this.
  19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I remember that, although trying to look it up the driver reports the fix being the fan increasing to 100% load not fixing it stopping although the 590 seems to have ran pretty hot for a Nvidia GPU. (~80 Celsius somewhere from a few searches.)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-295.51-beta-driver.html
    EDIT: Ah it was a few years earlier even.
    https://betanews.com/2010/03/18/nvi...-responsible-for-fan-problems-issues-updates/
    (Seven years ago, and I don't think it has been a problem since. :) )

20. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Years ago, and it's a well known fact among IT geeks, NVidia released bugged driver (19x.something, can't remember exact number) that was causing a GPU fan issue, slowing down or even complete stop. Cards were overheating and dying, two of my friends lost their GPUs because of this driver, iirc both were 9800GT. NVidia pulled those drivers week or two after enormous number of user complains and GPU RMAs. Guess you were using Radeon card backthen....