Dramatic Radeon RX 6800 Availability even worse than RTX 3080 launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Some people did get cards, some did not. I did not get mine due to our shops not being ready.
    But launch is not over. AMD had certain number of reference cards. And there is unknown number of non-reference cards.
    But considering stupid number of variants there will be...

... next Wednesday we should revisit this. But certainly, there is going to be another wave of cards on that day. And it may be quite larger.

2. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor
    Of course. But I'm talking about here and now. It's a wasted opportunity, even more so considering they have a decent product and there were a lot of people ready to buy it, especially considering nvidia's supply woes. Who knows what's going to happen in a year. For all I know, I could be dead by then.

3. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Give it a month or so. Look at the situation with Nvidia, it is slowly getting better by the day , the cards still sell out the same day they arrive but thousands of people have already received the new card .
    I am more concerned about how many are reporting coil whine noise , I hate that , hopefully I will be able to find a card that is silent in this regard .

emperorsfist likes this.
  4. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    This was not paper launch , end of story. Both Nvidia and AMD have shipped out cards , not as many as we would like but it would be stupid to say there were no cards at all .

Fox2232 and Aura89 like this.

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I hate that as well, and it's what is turning me off this generation (along with the shortages). If I'm to pay for an expensive card, I don¨t want it to squeak when it's doing "just" 60fps. I've had that with my GTX 970 and it took a year to "bake in". It definitely didn't "fade in among the fan noise in a closed case. Seeing that both brands seem to suffer from this, I'd rather wait for some refresh that does not exhibit this.

ZXRaziel likes this.
  6. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R5
    This is what people get for building a Chinese/Taiwanese company up so big only to have it turn face and hoard 5G chips over to Huawei (what else did they expect) after the last 4 years of US trade foolery & now export "hall passes". Thought there'd be no repercussions from all of that?

The US over the last four years has really made some provoking moves towards Chinese business giants & done nothing to prepare itself for reprisals in the wake of those moves. Probably going to have to request more of GloFo now that TSMC has become a rebellious juggernaut and create competition again that or you'll have Manufacturers and Semiconductors outsourcing their own M&S wings - odd I know. A bit antithetical to the idea of Intel being Intel.

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    This is also that´s causing me great concern. I thought coil whine was an issue from poorly built GPUs/components, but now it seems something that exists in every card, why???

I also don´t want to pay a large amount of money to have a card that squeeks every time i use it to game.

The only time i had an issue with coil whine was with a PSU that i returned during warranty, and they gave a new and better one right way. Are GPU sellers going to do the same???

ZXRaziel likes this.
  8. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Poor capacitors or coils can exhibit this when under stress, but I had hoped that poor parts wouldn't be present in 800$ GPUs...

ZXRaziel likes this.
  9. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Years ago I had cheapo gigabyte motherboard that started making high pitch noise after about 4 years of use , I like gigabyte but I was not happy about the noise . Now seeing that even £1700 graphics card could be doing this has me feeling little bit disappointed , I am certain that this can be sorted by using the correct components or is there something that I don’t know ?

10. Lordhawkwind

Lordhawkwind Member

GPU:
    Palit Jetstream GTX970
    I think you're forgetting that Ampere was first launced some time ago as a data centre card where the margins are huge. You're also forgetting they make the GPU for the Nintendo switch which has been selling very well. And as someone else has pointed out they released the 2060/70/80 supers at the same price as the older cards but effectively moving them up a segment. This is a huge revenue generator as this is where 98% of gamers exist. Whilst the margins on the 3080/90 are nice they're halo products and most of the sales are made in the lower tiers which Nvidia haven't produced a card for yet. So it's highly unlikely the 30 series had anything to do with the increase in revenue. Generally speaking sales figures start to impact on bottom line in the Q2 after launch especially if the launch was late in the quarter.

So, with regards to availability are you saying three people is a big number now wow, interesting.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Don't call me a liar Trump. Everything I saw said that, I have no idea where your self righteousness comes from.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I view the shortages (for both Nvidia and AMD) as a blessing in disguise. I prefer cards to be out for several weeks, months so we get a more through understanding of their strengths, weaknesses, faults so we know which are the best to choose from. Some early buyers of the 2080ti got defective cards (space invaders artifacts) resulting from a faulty batch. Some buyers of certain cards (5700xt) may have had driver issues (black screens), that took several months to resolve. The longer you hold out, the better chance you get a satisfactory card, usually.

HandR and ZXRaziel like this.
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Coil whine is result of big current spikes. Sure, Capacitors could reduce its effect. But better build quality does good job at dampening sound.
    One can use thermal glue like substance around affected components. But considering temperature and money paid...

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    You and emperorfirst have explained why this happens but this sort of issue is not acceptable on GPUs that cost much more than a modern consoles...

GPU makers should be embarrassed by this problem...

ZXRaziel likes this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes, they should be embarrassed. Especially since it can be prevented even when cheaper components are used.

ZXRaziel likes this.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If I were going to "upgrade" resolutions....I wouldn't stop at 1440P. I'd just plug my PC into the 4K TV that's sitting next to it.

Quite frankly, none of my monitors is even a year old yet. One purchased in December 2019, one purchased in January 2020 and one purchased in February 2020. All 3 are 1080P with 2 being TN 144hz and one being a VA 75hz panel. All 3 are Freesync monitors. I'm set on monitors for the next couple years. I just need the 3060Ti for my son's computer so he can play Minecraft RTX. Both of my TN 144hz panels are on NVidia's "G-Sync Compatible" list.

I stuck with 1080P because it's a resolution I'm comfortable with and it's easy to deal with on a 24" panel.

Fox2232 and Maddness like this.
  17. Kevin Mauro

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R5
    What does any of this have to do with TSMC refusing to supply at the number of orders or reserve the space for amounted lots various OEMs need leasing?

18. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I went shopping with a mate to look at both CPU and GPU last night. Zero 6800 or XT arrived in our region. ZERO.

3080 sold out, but here were some 3070 and 3090 at inflated prices.

I found a 5800x for 25 USD over MSRP, his hunt for a 5950x was insane at 200 USD more, so we gave up because without the GPU, we would have crippled our systems with the old GPUs.

We'll wait for the next shipments or spring + price reductions to go full RED team or 3080ti if that comes out. It had the effect of shifting our goal post so we can spend some of that PC upgrade money on family for Christmas to make up for a crappy 2020.

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  19. Kevin Mauro

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R5
    Yeah I hear ya. I have a "would be" ready system minus the GPU. Barely managed to grab a Ryzen 5 5600X. I did stare at it in disbelief when I opened the package. Then I thought "now what" I have a machine but no GPU. I went through the entire list of parts after selling my old rig but now it's - oh well I have many mobile units around the house doing the lifting for now and I game on Stadia/Playstation but it's annoying when I can spend my money and AMD or NVIDIA can't take it?

EDIT: From politics to gaming (health) what hasn't embraced the suck this year

Valken likes this.