Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread - Pt.2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Aug 14, 2015.

1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]
    http://dragonage.bioware.com/inquisition/

The previous thread can be found here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368588

2. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I've just finished the Descent DLC. It is more linear than JoH and more focused on a story. But I rather play JoH. At least JoH is somewhat connected to the Inquisition and does a great job expanding its lore. JoH is also a bit harder. I really like visiting the Deep Roads, though. It also had some nice schematics. Let's hope there will be another DLC where I can actually use those, because Descent was really short. ;)

3. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
  4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Hopefully they do some sort of pack or something at a discount, so far the dlc seem to be above average and not really worth their current price.

5. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah, I won't get it at this price, but definitely will at some point when there's a discount and replay the whole game with all DLC.

6. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    I have bought both but it's not going well. I'm about an hour into Descent at a guess and the game repeatedly crashes. It did not used to have this problem so I don't know if the problem is the DLC or that I reinstalled the game in between finishing it and adding this DLC. All crashes so far have taken place during combat. I've detected no pattern as to what causes it. Some battles I have had to play through five times in order to pass and I've gotten into the habit of using up all my most powerful tools whether I need them or not, just to end the battle as quickly as possible in case it crashes.

I have turned almost every setting down to the lowest it will go (except resolution) and played in every different display mode (full screen, windowed, windowed full screen). It seems to crash less often but that may just be coincidence. It is still crashing however.

7. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Turns out it's a bug in the Lunge power with Sword and Shield tree. I removed this from the character that had it and the game played without problem.

I enjoyed Descent, though it's got very little in the way of characterization. It was a quick play-through, however. Trespasser was quite a lot of fun and added quite a bit to the setting and had a lot more character interaction than Descent. It was also worth it to truly finish the game properly (once you complete Trespasser, you are done and all is finished). The end credits are great once you sit through the music.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    goty version with all the dlc coming soon, I will have to buy it for the ps4, seeing there no way i puting origin on my pc, if it came to steam I would get it for that isntead

9. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    For me story was average - just rehashing the lore.
    Visual design and level design are better in DLC than in main game.

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Even in the last dlc? Heard fairly high praise for that one, higher than the other two anyway

11. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Descent is basically follow a linear path, fight things, learn some new things about the setting and its history. I quite liked journeying through the deep roads. It's also like Christmas for those who like crafting.

Trespasser adds significantly more to the world setting, is still fairly linear but at least has added more character interaction - it's set two years after the end of Inquisition's main game and you get to see how everyone is doing, etc. It also brings in more about the Qunari as well as tying into the stinger at the end of the main game.

You will probably want to get these DLCs earlier rather than later because as well as the actual adventures, they add new functionality. Every enhanced version of a power now lets you choose between different types of enhancement. E.g. do you want the lightning cage to prevent people leaving it or do damage to them whilst they're outside of it? You choose. It also adds sigils which are runes for armour. You don't have to be in Trespasser content to use these. So long as the DLC is installed, sigil slots are available on armour and can be found. (pretty rare, though, I think).

EDIT: Be aware that Trespasser is the END of the game, final chapter, close the book, you're done. Once you start that DLC, all other areas including Skyhold, are closed to you.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Picked this up again now that it works as it should and must say that it's fun to play. The setting and atmosphere is still very nice (especially Storm coast with the rain and all).

13. remicius

remicius Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Ti
    ive run into a low gpu usage in Dragon age INQ,33-43 FPS,60 some% usage on both card,cpu usage around 70%.Does anyone have a more aggressive working sli bits to me?Thanks

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    All I can tell you is that when I ran my 970s I had about 90-95% usage on both cards. Think I was running 355.82 at that time.

15. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    I'm just about to start playing DAI and I'm looking for advice on the best graphic settings for my 6950 2GB.

I intend to run it at 720p as I like to play games like this from my sofa and my TV's panel is 720p native, although it accepts 1080p. I haven't tried with DAI but often at 1080p the text in RPG-type games is too small to read comfortably from the sofa anyway, despite having a 50" TV.

Also, running at 720p allows me to increase the settings. I ran a benchmark with the settings posted below and it gave Min: 64.3, Avg: 87.3 (I can probably improve that a bit by closing some other programs but I can't do that just now). Would you recommend increasing the settings and aiming for a capped 30fps with better graphics (assuming that increasing any of the settings will make a noticeable improvement) or keeping them more or less as they are and aiming for a capped 60fps?

I tried adding the commands to the shortcut like
    "S:\Games\Dragon Age Inquisition\DragonAgeInquisition.exe" -GameTime.MaxSimFps 59.99 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 59.99+ -GameTime.MaxVariableFps 59.99
    but that didn't have any effect, so I put them in user.cfg in the install folder like so

WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
    GameTime.MaxSimFps 59.99
    GameTime.ForceSimRate 59.99+
    GameTime.MaxVariableFps 59.99
    perfoverlay.drawfps 1

The last line has an obvious effect and shows the overlay so the file is working but the fps settings don't seem to be having any effect, as the benchmark goes well over 60fps. On the menu it does seem to be capped at 59.9/60fps but when the benchmark is loading it goes up to 200fps and then when it's running goes well over 60fps.

I know with The Witcher 3 it was useful to limit the fps with Afterburner, on top of the in-game cap and vsync, and also to run in Borderless Windowed mode to enable triple-buffering but that doesn't mean any of that is a good idea for DAI.

My ProfileOptions_profile:

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I caved in and got all the DLC, played them all on my first endgame character and now I'm Trespasser with my second as well. They are all good stuff, but Trespasser and Descent are clearly better thanks to the dialogue and more story content.

Jaws of Hakkon as bland as it may seem at first, is actually a GREAT farming zone. I farmed those rifts for veil quartz and pure essences and that awesome +5 Guard on hit fade-touched silverite so that all my level 27 capped party members have tier 4 crafted gear with tier 4 materials, item level ranging from 26-28. My tank for example is basically in god-mode with over 2k health and tons of guard and other defense stats, though I find myself playing as Varric for 90% of the time, he can burn through a dragon's health like a hot knife trough butter. :nerd:

Overall, they are worth the money in the end for me. DA:I is still one of my favourite "new" RPGs, it could have been much better though if they didn't waste resources on that lame MP and make some of the SP zones more livelier and not so desolate...

17. remicius

remicius Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Ti
    Thanks mate.i know it sounds like a cpu bottleneck but my cores are on 60-70%.hmm

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It may be 2015, but that 990X sure as hell ain't bottlenecking anything. I too have almost 100% usage on both cards (had the same on my 3770K), do you have the game vsynced? Maybe the game simply doesn't need 100% horsepower on your settings.

19. remicius

remicius Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Ti
    Yes,i have the vsync on in the game menu,and also i playing at 4k dsr.the fps and the gpu usage goes down at certain places,maybe some glitch with the sli profile?tbut,thanks for your answer!