Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread - Pt.1

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Thanks. That's a shame. I'm not interested in running around collecting things, much. I primarily like the story and dialogue.

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Too bad that's what most of this game is about.. running around collecting items. Collect herbs for potions, collect rocks and minerals for crafting, collect xyz and bring to so and so to complete quest.

I was put off on DAI by how heavy they leaned on this type of gameplay instead of making the locations more alive and exciting.

because of this, I played this game to around level 15 and haven't touched it now in months. needless to say, huge disappointment for me.. just not a gripping game at all, and has little to no replay value, imo of course.

3. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    scooby your opionion is the same as mine.... i will only play more if they continue the main story just for the fact that i want to see what happens with Solas

4. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    I think that now with Pillars of Eternity many gamers will stop playing this..I'm talking about original -C-RPG gamers ofc.

5. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Not me, and certainly not the vast majority of the younger gamers. While I did enjoy games like Icewind Dale, Planescapte Torment, Fallout back in the day, I find it very, very hard to go back to isometric graphics now. I'm spoiled, I know, but I think the true nemesis of DA:I will be The Wticher 3, and thankfully that one is arround the corner as well.

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Well, to be fair PoE is not about graphics.. if the game is gripping enough and has a good and engaging story, graphics won't be the difference at all.

I think many gamers are spoiled nowadays with such high-fidelity.. its definitely cost many games since so many studios prioritize the games' graphics and everything else takes a back seat.

I feel like DA fell victim to this. Prioritized the environments and models and textures at the cost of meaningful stuff like dialogue, story, mechanics and memorable events.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  7. Trixster

Trixster Active Member

GPU:
    1070 G1 Gaming
    Compare BG or BGII to DA and you'd know which you would prefer to play.

Yes DA is very very pretty, but it has a lot of downfalls.

I can't help feeling that after EA took it all over (after Origins) that everything was dumbed down for the console market and they also brought in their short play through times and tacked on dlc's to expand it.

Yes Origins had its add-ons, but in the main it all tied in with the plot - everything that it did story wise made you want to play it, made you want to relate and empathise with the characters.

Not had that in DA.

Started Origins again the other day and omg - the difference in the "banter" level is so so different, hell they even keep a good degree in DA2 with Isabela's comments.

If PoE turns out to be as good as BG, for example, then I dont mind at all as content/storyline is what matters rather than how pretty it is.

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    One of the most stifling things for good stories in games is going for full voice acting and animations. The budget for a fully animated VA scene is so much higher than a text scene.

I recall an RPG developer recently stating that it kind of screwed them over on the whole story part, might of been fallout new vegas actually.

Not saying I don't love both, i'm sure most everyone would prefer fully voice acted with the option to mute.

One thing I think PoE misses is any sort of animation in conversations, obviously not facial but they could have done some body animations for characters.

9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ That's a fair point. That said, as I work in a game dev studio, I see what has to go in for animation, and its anything but trivial. It takes a huge amount of work to get it looking mediocre, never mind making it look realistic.. and that's only for one character, never mind many.

10. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I would have preferred a "fully" 3D / animated game that just uses the camera to imitate isometric for the active gameplay bits, and see everything VO'ed... but that's just not possible with these low budget projects. That said so called 3A's that have that, are in bit of a rut atm. And what better example than Bioware and DA (originally intended to be a spiritual successor to BD) of how far away from caring about the gameplay experience we've come.. Everything watered down to the point where the product (and thats clearly all it is to them from my pov) no longer resembles the originating idea/concept.

I despise the whole idea of Kickstarter, but with D'OS and now PoE.. Thank **** for Kickstarter.

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Absolutely, so you can see the drive in PoE in the kickstarter campaign for people wanting story rich games that don't require tens of millions in corporate investments.

It also means that we see less recycled content, how often do you come across characters in fully voiced games that either have the exact same lines (like fallout new vegas, same lines different voice actors, bizarre) or just straight out copied voices (oblivion was notorious for it's schizophrenia). And animation, damn I hated programming that and the touch of animating I did.

12. Flapdrol

Flapdrol Member

GPU:
    Anyone know if it'll start on dualcores? Used to be problematic. If so I might get it on the next sale.

13. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    This game (and others new DX11 2014-2015 games) will need an Quad-core CPU (or i3 but which has 4 threads) and an x64 operating system.

So you and others who still buy Pentium G series should know that dual-core cpus are obsolete in these days for this games.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  14. Flapdrol

Flapdrol Member

GPU:
    Nah, it's just this game, the other games that were coded to run the main thread on the 3rd core have been patched.

15. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    I bought it anyway and gave it a go. It was much better than I thought it would be from your comments. It's not just a pile of fetch question. Other than some shard collecting and a couple of very short side-quests to impress some Avar, pretty much all of it is closely tied to the story (the Hakon story, not the mainline one). There's quite a bit of world-building in it and it all adds to the history of the setting.

The last couple of fights (the prelude one and the big finale) were both more challenging than the final fight of the main quest. I was around level 23 or 24 when I started it so the opposition had a lot of level 26 opponents. They are pretty nasty.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty good. A fair bit of extra dialogue between the characters as well and a lot of extra conversation with Scout Harding. I liked.

16. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  17. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Just got a 1.9 GB update through Origin. Could be this...

http://www.vg247.com/2015/05/04/dra...onslayer-multiplayer-dlc-announced-for-may-5/

18. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Does the upcoming story dlc take place after or before the end of the game?

Assuming I have saves of before the end.

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    DLC will probably arrive later today, this update was just a patch. :)

20. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I'd just really like to add that I myself was very late to the party for DA:I as I snapped up the digi deluxe edition when it was on sale for £30 and I've now poured a good 65+ hours into it and utterly love it. If anything it's seriously eased my hampering for Witcher 3 with so much content, solid gameplay, superb exploration and some of the best graphics my PC has seen in years. Even GTA V is lucky to get a look in right now I'm so invested in it time wise.

It's the kind of RPG I always wanted where my choices, the look and feel of my characters and the freedom to do what I wish are all very personal to me and had I bought it last year it would have easily made my GOTY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.