Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread - Pt.1

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Had it twice. Save game, load game, bug gone.

2. slayer213

slayer213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 8 GB
    just started with this and the game runs great. I have MSAA & AO turned off but thats because i had the DX error crash and as per suggestions by users on the official forums, this kinda helps. Also, lowering MSAA helps a lot in the FPS department. Don't see much difference in the quality either if i turn it off.

Enjoying my playthrough - just exploring Hinterlands currently. Game is supposed to be huge - 200 hours+ and I will definitely be taking my time playing it. :)

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    A new patch has been released. :)

EDIT:

EDIT: Looks like the Black Emporium which was part of the closed beta is not part of this update, perhaps a soon to be released DLC.
    http://forum.bioware.com/topic/547670-is-the-black-emporium-no-longer-part-of-patch-5/

EDIT: Black Emporium is still in testing.

https://twitter.com/bioware/status/572832394446807040

EDIT: Actually you can tint armor already via a new table in the undercroft, just that they forgot to put it in the patch notes.
    (The storage chest there is a nice addition as well.)

EDIT: Tinting armor appears to work the same as crafting armor, costs one material to use per slot (cloth, metal and leather.) and instead of a specific bonus this is just to change the armors tint.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Since the patch, I noticed performance has actually decreased a bit. Anyone notice similar?

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I'll try it out this evening and get back to you.

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Cool. It may just affect SLI/XFire users, as the patch supposedly fixed that terrain flickering. Lower performance may just be a consequence of that.

And by lower performance I mean that SLI scaling now isn't as good as it was before.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Well I ran around in Stonefort for a while but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. There was some slight stuttering though which I've not noticed before but maybe I should have fast traveled outside to whateverland. I also noticed a small flashing texture on a wall so I'm not sure it's completely gone for me.

8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I assume by Stonefort you really mean Skyhold :)

Anyway, the only thing I really noticed after the patch was that panning the camera wasn't as smooth as before. The frame rate though hasn't changed at all. I'm still at locked 60 FPS..

It might be that I have V-sync enabled in the game rather than the control panel like before. I'll go check and see if it makes a difference and report back..

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Woops :) Which game has Stonefort in it? (if any)

No, you might be onto something here. Like you, I have V-sync enabled in game only since I have the ROG Swift and therefore V-sync off in NVCPL by default (since the monitor requires it). So when I want to game on my TV, I just swich Vsync on in game settings instead of struggling with NVCPL.

10. chuuey

chuuey Guest

Hey guys, is there any way to increase the LOD distance even further than the game settings allow? It's annoying :/ and it's maxed out in-game. Any config or tools that will push this further? Cheers.

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    No idea :D

Frostbite 3 engine games typically have issues with in game V-sync, which is why it's always better to enable it on the control panel.

Anyway, I tested it and sure enough, panning the camera is definitely smoother with V-sync enabled in the control panel vs the game menu.

Still not as smooth as it was before the patch though, but close enough.

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Nope, there's no way unfortunately as Bioware locked the engine settings for it. But for what it's worth, I think this game's draw distance is phenomenal!

DAI uses the latest version of the Frostbite 3 engine, and as such, it has much better draw distances than the BF4 version, especially for shadows..

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    It is good overall compared with other games but in the more exposed and open desert areas there is very noticeable LOD transitions on cliffs, hills and mountains as you approach them as they are not as subtle as they should be. Some tessellation on those would not go amiss IMO.

14. chuuey

chuuey Guest

That's exactly what I'm trying to eliminate - it's really annoying for the details to just pop in my face. So i've found that DA:I Cinematic tool - there's a Increase LOD button there but you have to manually activate it every time you change zones it seems. But it does deal with that problem ;)

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've just loaded up the game now, since I remembered it had recently been patched and I've not played it for a few weeks. I am in the Exalted Plains and that suffers not so much from bad LOD transitions as weird dark shadow artifacts that appear at a distance then jarringly disappear as you get closer. There is still some pretty bad pop up in the distance as well (trees for example and very distant hills) but it is those closer shadows that are far more distracting.

I wonder if they're are an ambient occlusion bug? I am playing the game maxed out at 1920x1200 with 4xMSAA and HBAO+ and everything set to Ultra (High in the case of Post-Processing as that is the highest setting). I haven't tried the other AO options but maybe those reduce the issue at the expense of less realistic ambient lighting?

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    P.S. Could you post a link to that DA:I Cinematic Tool you mentioned please? Thanks.

17. chuuey

chuuey Guest

I don't think that's AO actually, i've been playing with SSAO and HBAO Full - same thing, and those wierd black shadow patches are so annoying I can't stand them, the tool I mentioned does fix that. So i'm guessing there is a way to increase the LOD in the engine or something - I've been googling for a long time to find anything and nothing :/

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ chuuey - OK, I will try that tool you mentioned. I managed to find it, download it and locate the Increase LOD Distance setting you mentioned. I will try it later.

As you say, if the tool allows you to force a longer LOD distance then it should logically be possible to permanently edit the settings so that the game always uses it. Unless those particular settings are encrypted or something? Could be considered cheating for the multiplayer, something like that, due being able to extend the draw distance and see further?

19. chuuey

chuuey Guest

Good to hear, well it doesn't significantly increase it - i don't think it will allow you to see further objects but for a fact it does unfluence at what distance the objects switch to their lower detail versions, i've tested this a bunch of times.

Basically I launch the game, load the latest save, load the tool, apply the increase LOD button. However the biggest pain is that you will have to do it every time you switch zones :/

20. scaredchimp

scaredchimp Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX970 SLI
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.