Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread - Pt.1

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I adore this game! It's near perfect apart from some small ingame bugs and that I dont know where to find the control layout for the X360 controller. Also I'd like to be able to make the minimap and hotbar switch places.

I've played it on my TV so far and it runs great on 1080p @ 60Hz. Playing on my computer screen though is a different story. The FPS doesn't go as high up and I noticed that if I use an FPS counter, Fraps or MSI AB, the game crashes after a while, but not if I don't use them.

I give this game 9,5/10 for astronomic amount of content, gorgeous graphics, nice music/sfx, realistic world design, good combat and so fort...

Played around 11 hours and I'm level 7 now. Not finished Hinterlands since the part to the west seem to have higher level mobs, I wish there was some way to see the level of the mobs. Also, does a mobs HP bar + red skull mean he's too high level or Elite?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've clocked up about 21 hours on the PS4 version (plus around 6.5 hours on the PC) so far, my character is on level 9 and I'm enjoying this game hugely, focusing mostly on opening new areas and exploring as much as possible, usually completing random side-quests in the process. I have five companions to choose from now as well. Many of the areas are absolutely massive and after ten hours I have still not fully explored the Hinterlands for example and keep stumbling across new things. This more than anything else is what sets this game heads and shoulders above the dull, repetitive and arguably rushed second game but even when I'm engaged in the story or having conversations with NPCs, the game still comes across as more interesting. There is a lot of dialogue and it's telling that there is a 4 hour discrepancy between the time played on my save game and the time spent playing the game according to the stats because that time must be how much time I've spent watching cutscenes and engaged in dialogue, etc.

My favourite quest so far has been the Champions of the Just one which ended with the first proper boss fight. Oddly, that fight itself seemed to end rather abruptly, the boss died and there was no epic final cutscene, it just switched straight back to the game so at first I thought I'd failed and the game had reloaded to the last checkpoint! It was so ordinary and I admit that I felt slightly unsatisfied, which is made worst by the fact that I got no reward for it either. I may have levelled up but I did not gain any new weapons, armour or powers. Slightly disappointing really.

I had had a relatively bug-free ride on the PS4 version for about 15 hours or so but encountered two CE-34878-0 crashes while exploring the south-west corner of the Hinterlands at the 20 hour mark, one of which occurred during a very tough Rift battle which was annoying to say the least. I've also had half a dozen Dialogue tree bugs, ranging from options not appearing (so I could not talk to the NPC or even exit a conversation) to glitches like having the Command wheel appear over the conversation options (and it staying there) to a bug where the Conversation options appeared but everytime I tried to select a choice then I'd move instead!!! None of those things have been fatal or required me to restart though as they fixed themselves eventually if I either waited long enough or switched to the Home screen and back. Still, there's a sense that the longer I play this game the more glitchy it is going to become, which I hope isn't true! [​IMG]

Performance has been for the most part OK but entering an area with lots of NPCs or detail usually results in a noticeable framerate drop and an increase in the amount of tearing at the top of the screen. Neither of those things render the game unplayable and it still looks fantastic but I cannot help thinking this game might have ran better had BioWare locked it down to 900p like the Xbox One version.

By the way, is there any way to change your character's appearance after you've started the game like you could in DA2? It's just that my character looked great in the Fade/Rift lighting but in the game world he looks annoyingly less great and I'd like to change at least his hair-style. Can you do that on the PS4 (I'd imagine it will be easier on PC if not via a mod)?

3. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    You can, just click on the target. You will see the level above the HP bar.

4. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Well I can't decide what version I want to play: PS4 or PC?
    How is the game running on PC?
    What do u guys think?

5. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Don't know. I'm a PC guy. Have a PS but that's more for social gaming with friends and family.

PC has the highest fidelity but also more teething problems. You have to dial it in.

6. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah,I mean I like to play 60FPS all the time :), but i'm afraid I can't hold on that 60 FPS unless I play at high(And I don't want high).

I don't care too much for AA and for this game I'll use my 50 inch plasma TV:)

7. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    trying to buy PS4 version deluxe edition too but PSn Turkey is broken. wont allow us to make purchase. shame lame.

i will start a new MAGE character today..male or female it must be? is there a shemale?

8. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Mage female.
    Pity we couldn't do body sculpting :p

@ Big, do you have to start over t create a new char?

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    it looks that way. google didnt help me.

there is in game RESET skill points but no character new character..

and this time i will play in HARD difficulty.

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    GET ps4. believe me u wont notice anything that fancy candy effects anyway. u don't need them. just play this beautiful game.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have both versions.

I've mostly been playing it on the PS4 because (a) I got that version a day earlier; and (b) I generally prefer to play games with a controller on a large screen TV with surround sound. Surprisingly, the PS4 version still looks very good, though performance can get chuggy at times but overall it runs fine at mostly 30 fps. Loading times are also relatively quick, quicker actually than they are on my PC (and, no, I do not have an SSD installed in my PS4).

However, IMO, the PC version, from the 6.5 hours I've played of it, looks a little nicer when maxed out with crisper textures and better AA, plus performance is generally better at 40+ fps at 1920x1200 on my system. Loading times can be a bit of a pain though between areas (it takes over a minute to load to the main menu). I do have textures set to Fade Touch quality though but even with Ultra loading times are lengthy compared with PS4.

One gripe I have with the PS4 version is the sound mix; even on Sound Sound or TV the dialogue is frequently too quiet and I've found that is not an issue I've had with the PC version. Even the title music (which sounds uncannily like the bit in The Lords of the Rings: Two Towers where Pippin sings to Denethor as soldiers ride in suicidally to attack Osgiliath...anyone else think so?) is very quiet on PS4 and I normally play all my games at a volume level of 20 (out of 50). No amount of tinkering with the in-game audio options can make the mix clearer unfortunately, short of increasing the volume itself on my amp. :(

Anyway, the PC version can be bought for £28 vs. £38+ on console and can run and look prettier plus has the option for keyboard/mouse and controller so it is the definitive version in my view.

12. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    That's what i did as well. Started over on hard.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    So you cannot even change your character's hair (and beard) style then without restarting a new game?

14. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Seems that way. Maybe we can ask Bioware for some love.

15. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Ok thx Darren an Mr. Bigtime, I will get the PC version then:)

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Erm if you read what he wrote i.e total fail thats why I said it.

Ofc anyone with a brain knows there will be issues...

17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Just got Sera, there's a wonderful dialouge bit where you can ask her where she's from and respond with an equally evasive answer
    (@4m17s)

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I hope I haven't missed the chance to get Sera as I did the War Table mission in Orlais and did not come across her. I presume I can revisit that location and pick her up (so to speak!) at any point?

19. Cubemonkey

Cubemonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970s
    Based on my experiences with my rig with 1 7970 and now 2 7970s, I think you will be able to run on high/ultra and be at 50+ fps most of the time.

20. jimdove

jimdove Master Guru

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    any news on a patch lads?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.