Downsampling with AMD: Guide and Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    Doent ssaa pretty much do the same thing? I thought ss aa internally rendered at a higher pixel count then downsampled to reduce jaggies.

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Yes, however, in this case the image is rendered at the full resolution and the display is responsible for downsampling. I would also imagine the algorithm being used is not as complex as that used for SSAA, and certainly not as varied.

3. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    Awesome

Bonjour and hello!!

First of all: it works magnificently!!!

Second of all: thanks to all parties involved (like that German gentle man who wrote the tool, and BlackZero for offering us a translation and a guide on how to use the tool) :) wink !

I've been using this for around 6 months, and I'm addicted to it! I'm now playing on a 46" Samsung HDTV, using a downsampled resolution of 2560x1440 to its native 1920x1080. (it's a count of 70% more pixels) This is where 2 HD7970 are heating up to show their processing power.

Every Game is better looking. (Sharper resolution/aliasing, less shimmering)

I found that I have better performance using this tool than the CCC's super sampling... (possibly because Super Sampling is dealing with the transparenciesAA and, possibly again, the CCC Super Sampling can/may render the images at a higher pixel count density (like the double of the selected res: Ex: 1920x1080 would be internally rendered at 3840x2160....significantly higher than 2560x1440))
    Honestly... I'm not sure of anything that I just wrote, i just know that i can't play any recent and "good looking" games with decent Frame Rates @ 1080p with their respective AA + Super Sampling in CCC, but I achieve better and playable performance using this downsampling tool.

Also, while efficiently removing the jaggies, the Catalyst Super Sampling technique blurs the entire image too, making the textures less sharp and/or detailed. The downsampling tool doesn't appear to blur the textures, but can make the texts, letters and some HUD elements difficult to read if they are not scaling properly to accommodate the bigger screen res... (like the STEAM friends overlay is difficult to read with it :infinity: )

While I find this tool very very excellent, making the correct illusion that my screen acquired a higher resolution unachievable without that tool, I still got some questions concerning this:

1. How is this working? (I thought a HDTV plugged with HDMI would not accept or work with a invalid resolution; nothing higher than 1080. When playing games, the screen still indicates 1080p, while the screenshots are taken at the rendered resolution of 1440p)
      I wish to know the technicalities of this: Who or what is 'responsible' for the downsampling?? the tool itself, the drivers, the HDMI/DVI cable or the screen itself and HOW and when this process takes place.
    2. How is this tool different than the ToMMTi-Systems SSAA-Tool? (which i didn't use yet) Because I red that the ToMMTi SSAA-Tool needs a running process and a games list for it to work. While the tool demonstrated is this thread "act like" just adding a higher resolution in your windows environment, selectable from any programs, no running process needed... incredibly easy
    3. It's so simple to use: it took me about 11 seconds to download and execute the tool, change 2 values and now I have a new higher screen resolution available anywhere in Windows and games; Why an equivalent tool IS NOT AVAILABLE, built-in our regular CCC?
    4. Do you think this tool will continue working regardless of the drivers updates, which repeatedly break compatibility with 3rd party tools when new features are added/improved. Or is it more like a registry tweak?

All i know is i like it A LOTTTTTT! But i wish to know how the magic is happening :grad:

Thank you for your time and making this gem of a program available to the word (I feel that my HDTV received an update to unlock an higher resolution than its native one... it's incredibly satisfying!)

p.s. Can you all vote to make this thread a 5 stars rated one plz?

Regards

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  4. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Hi Groovy-Music

If you check the last post by me, it should answer most of your questions.

Regarding how other utilities work or if this will continue to function indefinitely, I think you will probably get better answers from the respective developers as they will be in a much better position to answer that question.

5. Haneul

Haneul New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950
    Wow, can't believe I didn't discover this earlier.

Anyway, I have a question. So if I downsample from 2560x1440p on a 27'' 1080p monitor, what would be the difference between that and playing on a natively 2560x1440p 27'' monitor?

6. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
    27' 1080p also has huge dot pitch, so jaggies will be far more evident even with downsampling 40% fsaa like effect. Native 2560 will look much better, and you could just use fxaa/mlaa for problem non AA games.

7. Bullu$

Bullu$ Master Guru

GPU:
    R290X CFX@1050/1350
    Tested also with farcy3

native resolution is 1920x1200

1920x1200
    [​IMG]

2560x1600
    [​IMG]

:)

8. BAZOKA1942

BAZOKA1942 Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire r9 390
    hi i have samsung t220 1680*1050 max resolution but it does support 1920*1080 with warning message and in bios osd right 1920*1080 but PP 67. khz
    ok when i use your software make this resolution in windows as recommended but other resolution cant be applied black screen !?
    and i like to make it 1920*1200 any other tweaks ..
    and one time my resolution turn to 1920*1080 but PN mean pixel native with 66 khz without warning message
    so i would now how to do that another time to support as native 1920*1080 or down sampling biggest res for my hd 4850

9. BAZOKA1942

BAZOKA1942 Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire r9 390
    is this softwares can allow more than you real max res supported ? because i get black screen cant apply them
    and how add res with let desktop same as 1680*1050 for my t 220 samsung

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    BAZOKA1942

I am not entirely sure if the software support the Radeon 4 series but, assuming it does, you should be able to have the desired resolution by following all the instructions and disabling GPU scaling, as explained in the guide.

It could also be that your specific display does not work that well with your chosen resolution. There's a link to a list at the top of the guide containing many display models and confirmed working maximum resolutions.

I hope this helps. :)

11. alientorni

alientorni Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770 (bios6770) Hawk
    hi!, it seems amd has changed some display manager or something, because tool isn't working with 13.2 drivers

12. Derko1

Derko1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x1080s
    Yea... a lot of people know. I've been checking that german forum... and while there has been talks about it. Everyone is just saying to go back to 12.11s.

Some have said that if you install the 13.x's on top of the 12.11s, then it works fine. That's only because of the ton of stuff that gets left behind... or not moved at all... when installing the new drivers on top.

I would not risk it though. Be patient and maybe a new tool will be made or a work around found.

13. sekta

sekta Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    I get corrupted display with any kind of setting. I got a Samsung S27A950D. 1080p 120hz.

14. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    I have not personally tested with a 120Hz display so can't really provide any insight. Regarding the catalyst 13.1 drivers, I will try to post an update when there's any news on a fix or a newer version.

A note has been added to the first post.

15. Joe

Joe Active Member

GPU:
    Galax GTX 970 @ 1400/3900
    I'm running 13.1 drivers & haven't had to touch the Program since installing the new drivers & no issues with running 2560x1440

16. Surridge

Surridge Member

GPU:
    HD 7970
    I used the AMD utility to uninstall 13.1 drivers, installed the leaked 13.2 betas, and downsampling still works fine. I had it configured some time before with the 12.11 betas, and haven't touched anything.
    I don't know if it worked with the official 13.1-s, since I haven't really tried.

17. alientorni

alientorni Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770 (bios6770) Hawk
    this is the error i get

[​IMG]

18. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    there shouldnt be any ADL errors, nothing has changed in the library...

19. alientorni

alientorni Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770 (bios6770) Hawk
    you see.
    when i installed latest 13.2beta. games wich where i was using downsampling looked like if i resolution wasn't scaled.

i mean i just could see 1440x900 (my native) from entire 1920x1200 image(for example) so i thought maybe i needed to re-do the resolutions to make them work with this driver. i eliminated old custom, and when i tried to make the new ones, i got this error.

what is ADL btw? is there something broken on my driver install maybe?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  20. Derko1

Derko1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x1080s
    No... there's nothing wrong with your install. I get the same error. It seems like the tool or process will need to be updated for whatever files were changed in the new driver to get it working again.