Downsampling with AMD: Guide and Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Jul 25, 2012.

1. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

ADL = AMD Display Library.
    http://developer.amd.com/tools/graphics-development/display-library-adl-sdk/

Assuming you did not change anything else in the utility's control panel, it could be either a driver related issue or maybe something needs updating. I would start by re-downloading the application, then reinstalling the latest stable drivers (12.10), also check you have the latest windows updates, java etc.

Then run the utility with administrator privileges, also ensure your virus scanner isn't interfering, as well.

2. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    I checked all those things and nothing work, Im using a Laptop right now with a 4650 Mobility, that could be the reason?

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

That is quite likely why. I also have little experience or feedback regarding using this with a laptop, so can't offer much help. Though, assuming you are using a modified 12.10 drivers, it might be worth trying officially supported drivers.

4. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    yep doesn't work on notebooks i guess due to the integrated display, isn't here even working with an external display hooked up

5. Joe

Joe Active Member

GPU:
    Galax GTX 970 @ 1400/3900
    nice, working fine here on my LG Flatron w2261vp (1920x1080)

running wow 2560x1440 only problem is text is not as clear as native but still readable and looks better with the same FPS.

BF3 looks stunning!!! no need for MSAA!

Cheers OP!

tho still wanting to get myself a native 2560x1440 screen this will do for now!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  6. enskyment

enskyment Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7850
    This tool works fantastic.

Just wanted to sign up to say thanks much :D

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  7. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    i got a high resolution of 2720x1530 on my lge2242t 1080p
    i have HDMI going from my gpu to a HDMI to DVI dongle on my monitor.

8. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I got this working at 2560x1440 max on my setup. It works fairly well for games that have low performance from hardware AA such as Dead Space 1/2, or no AA support such as Halo 1/2.

I'm even using this on CoD MW 1/2 since enabling SSAA blurs the game. DS + SMAA looks great and keeps the image sharp in those games.

9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I got this working at 2560x1440 max on my setup. It works fairly well for games that have low performance from hardware AA such as Dead Space 1/2, or no AA support such as Halo 1/2.

I'm even using this on CoD MW 1/2 since enabling SSAA blurs the game. DS + SMAA looks great and keeps the image sharp in those games.

10. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Started using this since 2-3 days, used the newer GUI 0.6 instead of 0.2. 2560x1440 It's awesome, AC3 is giving more fps after downsampling.

11. Shaneus

Shaneus Master Guru

GPU:
    5970/5850 TFX 899/1150
    How long has that "newer" version been out? I've been using the one that's been doing the rounds for the last eight months or so, didn't think to see if there's a newer one.

12. nitroin

nitroin Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1024GDDR4
    There is a way to have this tool working on Windows 8?

I'm getting INF digital signature (I think WHQL) error.

EDIT: to install a driver without a digital signature do the following:
    - press WIN + I;
    - go in Change PC settings;
    - General -> Advanced Reboot -> Reboot;
    - Restore -> Advanced Options -> Reboot.

The names can be a little different, I've done a literal translation from italian.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  13. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

The latest version adds an AMD splash screen when starting up and allows for custom monitor inf creation from within the utility. I have updated the links, those using the last version do not need to update as a necessity. I will also update the installation instructions as required.

Translated changelog
    Presets for 16:9 and 16:10
    Create window starts only with "standard definition"

Manual windows (revised text still needs to be ^ ^)
    Generate INF files
    surface adapted

start now by exe
    SplashScreen
    Error window when there is no Java + forwarding to the Java download site

stability improvements
    will not boot without AMD Catalyst Drivers

Compiled with Java 1.6
    When creating the screen information will be automatically entered into the fields

Reading, deleting and creating user-specific resolutions
    GUI
    Reading and display adapter index
    There hasn't been much interest from windows 8 users but I will update the original post if required. Thanks for the information.

edit.

The guide has now been fully updated. I have also included the windows 8 digital signature workaround in the FAQ section.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012
  14. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    this is so fun! Wow! No drivers needed. Works like a charm!

15. xNAPx

xNAPx Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7970 Lightning
    I have a couple of question:

there is a way to get back the previous monitor driver before the trick ?

when i install a new amd driver have I to repeat the procedure?

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Yes, you can reinstall the old monitor driver (by keeping a backup) or try the roll back driver feature. Just be sure to create system restore pint if in doubt.

Also, you will need to enter the maximum resolution values again if reinstalling the display driver possibly the monitor driver too. It only takes a few seconds so shouldn't be an issue for most.

17. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    My native resolution is 1920 x 1080. If I downscale using 2560 x 1440 it definitely looks better, but for instance in Crysis 1, the game is slower without any AA at 2560 x 1440 than it is at 1920 x 1080 with 8x AA!

I think I prefer 1080 8x AA over the downsampling. Performance hit is just too great.

18. xNAPx

xNAPx Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7970 Lightning
    in your case i think problem is memory

19. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Doent ssaa pretty much do the same thing? I thought ss aa internally rendered at a higher pixel count then downsampled to reduce jaggies.

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Yes, however, in this case the image is rendered at the full resolution and the display is responsible for downsampling. I would also imagine the algorithm being used is not as complex as that used for SSAA, and certainly not as varied.