Downsampling with AMD: Guide and Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Member Guru

GPU:
    haven't found a way to driver downsample from anything above 2720x1530 on my 7970 (my hazro 27wc craps out at anything above that) and 2720 to 2560 isn't much of a downsample & with Gedosato i can push up the DS res in 16:9 steps till i find the limit were i start to dip below 60fps of each game perfet for using your hardware to the fullest

2. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    I was having problems to get this working with 14.4 + R9280X.
    I've followed what @ablev said and now is working flawless.

Thanks man!

3. Happy1337

Happy1337 New Member

GPU:
    7970 1100/1400
    I thought the same. Doesn't it still get "all blury" ?

4. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    (This goes back to the TXAA discussion)

No, it actually doesn't.

More so, you can see more details clearly after you downsample the FXAA'ed or SMAA'ed motion onscreen.

5. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    Maybe we should start a new thread just for discussing GeDoSaTo and game compatibility. It'd be great to have a spreadsheet like the one in the Catalyst AA compatibility thread. I've used it in Dead Space 2 and Syndicate and it works great, although lately I've been playing older games that all work fine with driver SSAA.

edit:
    nevermind, such a spreadsheet already exists:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...alZoX25nVUtOT2FOLUw3S0Fzenc&usp=sharing#gid=0

edit2:
    Works great in Mars War Logs (except UI scaling), SpecOps the Line, and Wolfenstein 2009, which are not on the spreadsheet yet. These games were all in dire need of a facelift, glad I held off on playing them until now.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  6. Gizmo

Gizmo Member Guru

GPU:
    A new thread would be a great idea,i tried to sign up for Neogaf GeDoSaTo thread to add to the discussion there but its been 2 weeks and im still await mod approval to post....

Beta 7 is a great step forward with compatibility a lot of games i tried pre 7 are now working without issue a few still have a some quirks so i'll have a look at editing the above xml you linked to with my findings

Tombraider Underworld : GeDoSaTo res needs to set in launcher (you might need to remove the games reg entry to get the launcher to refire) also gives d3d failed to render errors after about 4000x2250)

Lara Croft GOL : same as TRU

Transformers FOC : any res above 3200x1800 cause's a failure of ingame textures to fully load Also needs the GeDoSaTo.ini setting of modifyGetCursorPos true so you can access ingame Teletran 1 upgrade menus

SpaceMarine 40k: Also needs the GeDoSaTo.ini setting of modifyGetCursorPos true for settings menu access

Deadpool : Also needs the GeDoSaTo.ini setting of modifyGetCursorPos true for settings menu access

These are a few of the games fired up to just test and now i ive ended up doing complete replays of because they look so fresh and clean.

7. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    If you rename TFOC.exe to TWFC.exe and create a steam_appid.txt in the same directory with 213120 in the text file, you can force SSAA via CCC or RadeonPro (make sure to create a new profile targeting the new executable). I used to be able to do the same by creating a AA Compatibility Profile using RadeonPro but for some reason that method doesn't work for me anymore.

Here's a screen with 8x SSAA. I usually use 4x SSAA and it looks good.

[​IMG]

If anyone knows how to get GeDoSaTo (or any forced AA) working with Timeshift, please post.

8. Gizmo

Gizmo Member Guru

GPU:
    Timeshift (retail dvd) is working ok for me with beta 7

first off make sure its patched up to 1.02 then launch the game and set the rendering options (minus GeDoSaTo) & exit,now go to your timeshift install dir and find the newly created UserConfigs\Default\user.ini file

here you can reset the

VIDEO_SizeX =
    VIDEO_SizeY =

to those you want to use with GeDoSaTo (you can also tweak your various rendering setting inc FOV settings in there

default fov is 75 (written as is 56.25) bumping it to

FOV = 67.5

will give you 90

save the file exit re-start GeDoSaTo start timeshift and you should be good to go

[​IMG]

& thx for the transformers tip will give it a go asap :)

9. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    ^Tried all of that with my Steam version and it still wouldn't work. Then I installed my old boxed copy, patched it up to 1.02 like you suggested and that version does indeed work! Only thing is for Crossfire I had to use the F.E.A.R. profile to get things to play nicely. Thanks for the help!

10. Gizmo

Gizmo Member Guru

GPU:
    No worries glad to help :) ive read that the steam version of timeshift is somehow locked at 1.0 and can't be updated? i did manage to get version 1 working as well by using beta 4 + ini changes,but i was randomly crash happy with or without GeDoSaTo

11. TheTrain

TheTrain Member

GPU:
    hmm
    I've the same problem, Steam version of Timeshift and Gedo doesn't work at all. What driver do you have? I'm with the 14.6 Beta, maybe the problem is here?
    Oh, Gedosato beta 4 doesn't exist. Do you talk about Alpha 4 or Beta 6 in this post? I tried to downsample with every release btw and nothing worked. :eek:
    Also in the Whitelist I need to add only "TimeShift" right?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  12. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    ^Yeah, I don't think the Steam version is able to be patched, which is really a shame. If I had noticed that before, I wouldn't have bought it again since I already owned a retail copy. If I were you, having paid for a copy of the game that is incomplete, I wouldn't think twice about acquiring a copy through "unofficial channels" and then patching that up to 1.02.

13. Gizmo

Gizmo Member Guru

GPU:
    Sorry alpha 0.4.471 built on 2014/05/01

Worked with my timeshift retail 1.0 (but not when patched to 1.02) as long as i did the ini editing as above and didn't touch any ingame menus (will mini dump if you try and accept any changes once ingame)

Im still using 13.12 because all the 14.x drivers totally suck (BSOD,Blank sleep,temps boost i could go on) i never used the white list (pre 7) i just ticked black list so it pretty much hooked everything,now i use the exe folder name/.ini for each game i try

as millibyte says just grab it from "unofficial channels" if you can and patch/nocd it to 1.02 :banana:

14. TheTrain

TheTrain Member

GPU:
  15. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    Sweet, gonna reinstall the Steam version and check it out. 0.8 is great so far, Borderlands 2 is now working perfectly for me, I used to get graphical corruption when it would autosave but that's gone now.

edit: Yeah, Timeshift (steam) is working good with 0.8, thanks for the heads up. In fact, compatibility is getting better and better. A lot of games that were giving issues before work flawlessly now. What a brilliant little tool this is.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014

16. Gizmo

Gizmo Member Guru

GPU:
    With Gedosato 0.8 TombRaider Anniversary no longer has the screen skipping glitch when using the its own ingame "Full screen effects" setting,although there is some z - transparency errors when swimming underwater that make it hard to see where you should be going.

Dead Island is finally working with the new "forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes" set to true yay! just need to reset the res everytime its restarted,this is a game ive started a few time but never played more that an hour of because of the jaggies & i never could get AMD's forced msaa/ssaa to work with DI and fxaa never did a good enough job

just off to retry transformer FOC to see if the texture loading over res'es over 1800p is resovled.

17. Harrison Jones

Harrison Jones New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD5870 1 GB
    Can someone explain the registry values in Anypaper's post?
    Code:
    Resolution Hex Numbers
    1920x1080 @ 2560x1440

Width = 00 0A
    Height = A0 05
    HTotal = 20 08
    HSyncStart = 30
    HSyncWidth = 20
    VTotal = 57 04
    VDisplay = 38 04
    VSyncWidth = 05
    PixelClock = E0 22 02

-------------

1920x1080 @ 2720x1530

Width = A0 0A
    Height = FA 05
    HTotal = 20 08
    HSyncStart = 30
    HSyncWidth = 20
    VTotal = 57 04
    VDisplay = 38 04
    VSyncWidth = 05
    PixelClock = E0 22 02
    I know they're hex values, but the width and height don't make sense to me. (For example the width isn't 1920 nor 2560).

I'm trying to do 1680x1050@1920x1080. Can anybody help me find the correct values?

18. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070S
    You should be able to apply MSAA and SSAA with out downsampling if you use Radit

I was able to force 4xMSAA and 4x SSAA on the demo some time ago since downsampling does not work on my monitor (Yamakasi Catleap 270)

19. Harrison Jones

Harrison Jones New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD5870 1 GB
    OK, I understand now that "00 0A" should be read as "0A 00", which is indeed the hex code for 2560.

Now the problem I have is that the resolution I've added disappears when I reboot.

20. Maxinova

Maxinova New Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X
    What have I to modify to do 2560x1440 @ 3840x2160 ?