Downsampling with AMD: Guide and Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060
    I find myself stuck with a HDTV atm instead of my multimon setup and it looks like it will stay that way for a bit, a shame when I'm running a sackfull of 290s. Installed 14.1 and tried downsampling and seems to be a no go. What are the last drivers that downsampling is easily achieved on? Or if someone knows how to get it working on 14.1 a simple guide would be nice. I have no net access on my pc. Best I can currently do is download to my phone then copy across.

Edit. So I found the new atidmag patcher and have created 2560x1440 with cru which i can select but all i get is a black screen. I know this tv can do that res as I've done it on earlier drivers. Also cant do 2560x1600 on my monitor which has been able to do that before. Gpu scaling disabled. 14.1. Can't untick hides modes monitor cannot handle... Any ideas??

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. ACMPraetorian

ACMPraetorian Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 OC
    Using the old method with CRU I found 12.11 beta's downsampled with ease.

As you can see from my earlier posts on this thread I've had difficulties with downsampling on drivers after 12.11 beta.

Anypaper seems to have really good knowledge about doing it via registry keys though so I'd ask him to give you a nudge in the right direction like he has with me.

He's a spot on chap!

3. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060
    Trying to copy exactly what has been done above. I can create a Mon driver with the moninfcreator but where the hell do you get the create custom res bat file? Trying to create the res with cru gives me no modetimingoveride to modify in regedit

4. ACMPraetorian

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 OC
    afaik you need to run "list.bat" first and then open "Customresolution.txt" and change the resolution to your native res, but add a 1 to the end

So basically..

Example
    Your max res = 1920x1080
    You edit customresolution.txt and change it to the following
    1920x1081

Then you run create_custom_resolution.bat and the screen will quickly flash and the new resolution will be available.

If you aren't seeing the bat files, You need to download the zip containing the bat files and adlutil.exe

Here is a direct link
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=9957265&postcount=6448

Scroll to the bottom of that post and click on the adlutil.zip attatchment.

5. psychok9

psychok9 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    Guys, this utility can works with AMD Catalyst 13.12 WHQL and Windows 8.1?
    I get this error (Windows 8 fresh installation):
    Code:
    ERROR: ADL_Display_ModeTimingOverride_Set() failed!

6. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060
    Managed to get it working 'ish'

Thanks so much

Only problem is when I select 2560x1440 everything goes all fuzzy and jittery. Is this to do with the pixel clock value?

I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable to get from pc to tv. I set it up on my sig pc. Haven't tried the other machine. I know I've used this res before when using the old downsampling gui and it worked fine

Edit. It's probably got something to do with the video card in this machine and the cable. Windows says it's sending single link dvi and I'm not sure what's up. The card is no longer what's in the sig lol. It's an asus 7970dcu2. So guess I'll have the bugger around with the stupid switch on it. That being said again I've had this res working from the same port, same cable, same screen before :s

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  7. wellison

wellison Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 ASUS Strix 4gb
    1080 to 1440p per hdmi ??

i have a TV 1080p 60hz only and i use as my monitor to play pc games too. Ive already managed to downsample in the past to get higher resolusition up than 1920x1080.
    Now i using Windows 8.1 x64 and tried CRU method not working to me (using HDMI).
    I want to know if is possible i use downsample from 1080p to 1440p via HDMI on my window 8.1 (catalyst 14.1)

thx

my tv is Samsung LCD TV LN40C650

8. Anypaper

Anypaper Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 Lightning
    In any case i would prefer the Registry Method over the CRU method Anytime.
    Yes, registry modding is abit tricky and dangerous but the results are always better.

For the later guys asking how to downsample, please don't be lazy and read the thread :)

9. jakdwaugh

jakdwaugh New Member

GPU:
    ATI 7950 3GB
    Hi, i've been following the instructions in this thread since it started and they have always worked, however I can't seem to get it working with the 14.1 betas. I create the custom resolution 1920*1081 to force creation of the registry entry, I export that entry and amend the values and then add this file back into the registry but when I reboot there aren't any new resolutions. I'll show you the registry file after it's been edited, hopefully someone can spot what's wrong as I don't pretend to understand what any of the values actually mean.

10. wellison

wellison Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 ASUS Strix 4gb

yes but i try and dont worrking here over HDMI win 8.1 x64... can help me ?

11. MiljanSRB

MiljanSRB Member

GPU:
    AMD 7770
    Guys, I'm new here. There are a lot of pages, so please tell me how to have at least 2560x1440 or higher resolution. I have philips 22 inches, that's all I know. (1920x1080)

12. MiljanSRB

MiljanSRB Member

GPU:
    AMD 7770
    Please guys, just help me! Read above!!! :( I try with CRU and it say that my monitor can't load that resolution? Please tell me how to do this, with CRU?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  13. MiljanSRB

MiljanSRB Member

GPU:
    AMD 7770
    And sorry for spam, but I really want to do this! Can someone also please tell me how to do downsampling with regedit? My monitor is Philips 220E

14. MiljanSRB

MiljanSRB Member

GPU:
    AMD 7770
    Can someone PLEASE tell me how to make 2720x1530 resolution. I said above what monitor I have. In registry, step by step, I'm begging you guys!

15. TheTrain

TheTrain Member

GPU:
    What problem can I have if I see the custom resolution on the desktop but I do not see it in game option?

16. ACMPraetorian

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 OC
    maybe the game doesn't support your selected resolution?

I'm only guessing but I've found some games just flat out refuse to display higher than your monitors native resolution even with downsampling enabled.

17. MiljanSRB

MiljanSRB Member

GPU:
    AMD 7770
    Guys. Can someone tell me which is biggest resolution for R9 290 or R9 290x with downsampling. Can go with 4k HD resolution (3840 x 2140)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  18. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    Hello fellow tweakers,

I have been trying to get downsampling to work for a while now, with the tools, or changing things in the registry, but nothing is happening.

Could the first post, by any chance, be updated with the newest and latest step-by-step solution for downsampling with the newest drivers from amd? From what I can read, some people have gotten it to work, but I can't make out how they did it.

Also, I read that almost everyone uses DVI. I use HDMI myself. Can this in any way have a negative effect on my efforts to get downsampling to work?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: After buying a DVI-D cable, i got everything to work using the upper most post of page 25 and another page, but I am not allowed yet to post links.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  19. MiljanSRB

MiljanSRB Member

GPU:
    AMD 7770
    Can someone answer me (same question for R9 280X) ?

20. MiljanSRB

MiljanSRB Member

GPU:
    AMD 7770
    A saw now that I can't go higher than 2720x1530 with any AMD card :(