1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downsampling with AMD: Guide and Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    o_O, why do you need upscaling for Skyrim?.

You can just set AA to 4x in-game and set AA-type to Super Sampling in CCC <- which is loads better in IQ than upscaling image rendered like this (also your MENU UI elements won't become small)

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Alright, well you could try the custom inf utility posted by teleguy or the other monitor drivers. Also it could be that the displays colour profile needs changing. I am going remove the last post from the OP and will re-add it once you have it figured out.

Thanks. Will add this to the OP too.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Using a custom one made from this gives me the same error as before.

I was about to install a game to try it on, but for a quick test I tried 2560x1440 on League of Legends (yeah yeah, I know) and it does a great job getting rid of the aliasing. Forcing SSAA on it causes some strange artifacting, however downsampling is nice and smooth.

Edit: Reinstalled Street Fighter X Tekken since that had some annoying aliasing issues. Running it at 2560x1440 with its own MSAA maxed out at 16 certainly helps but there is still noticeable aliasing in the char selection screen. I would try 3840x2160 but that screwed up when I tried it on the desktop.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  4. Derko1

Derko1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x1080s
    Nope. Nothing seems to fix the color... I guess it's just simply the density of the image is more and things maybe overlapping and so creating a more saturated contrasty image.

This should be affecting everyone, if that's the case. Can you maybe look at a specific shadowy area in a game and set it to your native resolution and then back to the higher one and see if there's a color difference?

Also, is there any info on how it stands up against using SSAA in regards to performance and IQ? :nerd:

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Just tried skyrim. Didn't notice any darkening at 2560x1600 but it looked a lot sharper and the extra detail it brings out is quite amazing.

1920x1200

[​IMG]

2560x1600

[​IMG]

Comparisons to SSAA are going to be very subjective and will need to take into account all sorts of things like the SSAA settings and the game itself so the only way to do it would be to compare both methods on a game to game basis. I could add screenshots to the OP if someone does some comparisons, I will also try to add some when I can.

Of course not every game supports SSAA though, but downsampling should work with all games.

6. tty8k

tty8k Active Member

GPU:
    Ati 5850
    I tried this a while ago, games look better indeed except for the blur added to gui that doesn't scale properly and the huge drop in fps in some demanding games.

7. bouuman

bouuman Active Member

GPU:
    6650m + 6620G
    whare i have to insert the monitor.inf file?

8. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    ^
    Alternatively rightclick on the inf file and select "install".

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
  10. Derko1

Derko1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x1080s
    Does not work with that type of file. :) (Try it before you tell me it has worked for you. ;) )

So I am having other issues with drivers it seems. SO I will come back and report later in regards to how it's working. I'll also try to get some pics for comparisons. Maybe some benchmarks too... I'll probably use Dirt 2/3.

Edit: So as much as i tried, can't get it to work right. The drivers crash on me like a minute after using the new resolution in game.

I made sure that it only happens when activating the higher res... sucks for me. I wonder if any with a similar set up as me has gotten it working?

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    @Derko

It might be worth checking if Nvidia users with similar setups encounter the same issues when using downsampling. There's also an Nvidia downsampling thread on this site.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=346325

It would also be interesting if we could get further details on the 'monitor inf creator' utility as it may be of more use than what has been understood so far. Perhaps someone with better understanding of German can add to this.

Also, YouTube finally fixed the sound for the video.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Is there a reason why this method wouldn't work with any card? Is that java program designed only for AMD cards or something?

13. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    I would imagine so as it needs to interact with the display driver.

14. Miken420

Miken420 Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    I linked to/copied the content from this thread over on SWTOR.com forums.

I hope it's alright.

Thank you so much for posting this guide, it has improved my SWTOR gaming experience drastically.

I no longer have to disable Large Address Aware flag on SWTOR.exe and run injectors like FXAA or SMAA.

The quality is AMAZING!

here's the link to my SWTOR.com thread.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4914116#post4914116

Thanks again for this awesome guide!

15. Derko1

Derko1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x1080s
    Thank you for that! I looked around and it seems that the display driver itself has issues with resolution that just simply don't work for the display.

I am now using 2560x1440 for my display without any issues. So that's the main ideal 16:9 resolution.

I also did some comparisons for performance in Dirt 2.

I am using UltraVeryHigh settings for shadows, water, and reflections... maybe something else, don't remember this second. Basically they are extended beyond ultra settings that came with the game. Everything else is Ultra... with 4xSSAA.

As you can see. I lost 23fps from average... which when comparing to how well it runs as it is, is minimal.

[​IMG]

I ALSO!!! Was able to fix the darkening problem... my display was setting it self up to use RGB limited when using the non-standard resolution. So all I had to do was to tell it to use"non standard" in the HDMI options, which makes it go full RGB and it's fine now. :nerd:

16. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Its performance destructive to use this technique in Skyrim, higher resolutions provide more CPU overhead for this game.

Best to set in-game AA to 4x and AA to SSAA in CCC.

17. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Good to hear Derko1.

I will also add the explanation regarding forcing full RGB to the OP.

You're welcome.

Linking/copying is fine as long as credit is given accordingly.

Also I wanted to add that there is a performance loss when using downsampling but this depends entirely on the game and is of course relative to original performance. Though it does work for every game (unlike many AA methods) and provides FSAA quality at relatively lower performance cost in most cases. Graphics card ram will also have a part to play.

A good example of this can be seen by the numbers provided by Derko1 in the post above.

Actually running at a higher 'display' resolution should have very little effect on cpu usage or, more likely, reduce it slightly.

Display resolution is not directly linked to CPU usage. Instead, a higher or lower display resolution increases or reduces GPU usage, respectively. All other things being equal, a higher GPU load means less data required from the CPU and therefore lower CPU usage.

In the specific case of Skyrim, the shadows, A.I, water and other physics are CPU based so the CPU is quite important, however running the game at a higher resolution will not change the number of calculations for any of them as the cpu based (internal) shadows resolution does not change, and neither will the water/physics calculations increase with resolution.

What will change is that the GPU will be more busy rendering everything at a higher resolution and therefore will refer to the cpu for data less often.

Proof.

1920x1200

[​IMG]

2560x1600

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  18. Miken420

Miken420 Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    Thanks for giving me your blessing on hotlinking your guide!

I edited the post name to reflect the fact that there might be a performance loss.

It works great with SWTOR though. I see where you're coming from with some games not working properly with it. I tried it with League of Legends and Arma II, and while ArmaII works great with it, it cut League of Legends FPS in half.

Thanks again!

19. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Again, you're welcome.

I had a read through your guide, seems very well written!

20. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    What are you using to overlay that information, I'd like to check the same on my PC.

(I use AMD 6950 2GB)