Downsampling with AMD: Guide and Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 8GB
    Im running downsampling on my HD 5770 xfire. installed 12.9, set the custom res 2560x1440 and installed latest 13.x driver ontop and no issues. 13.5 cap as well. 1440p is too much for both cards in 2013 dx11 games for these cards. I only use it in older games.

2. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Downsampling Utility doesn't work with 13.8 beta for me :(
    Am I alone in here or it really doesn't work with latest Catalyst?

3. ELCID777

ELCID777 Banned

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    nope. i just tried it for myself. and NO work around works with the GUI tool now. NOTHING. nice going, AMD. nice going. you've single handedly managed to destroy the only true custom downsampling option we had.

this is ****ing bull****. i'm so over this nonsense already. i'm sick of not being able to attain the image quality i want in my games because of all of their ridiculous restrictions and non-existing options to do so.

i think i will go with nvidia for my next upgrade, but only because they actually seem to care about their customer base.

a big middle finger for you, amd.

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I know, how horrible of AMD to silently and probably unintentionally break a non-supported application (I do like how nobody is assuming that the program itself just needs updated). As I mentioned before, your opinions and feedback on issues mean absolutely nothing unless AMD sees em. What's the best way to do this? Go contact AMD directly! Maybe you'll even get a response.

You don't want to be restricted on your options for image quality? Go over to Linux, take their open-source drivers, mod them however you want, or try to do the same with Windows drivers. Can't do this? Then stick with proprietary "restrictions"...

I wish you luck with NVIDIA though :) I tire of seeing this misinformed and misdirected attitude here...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013

5. ELCID777

ELCID777 Banned

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    What in the bloody hell does Linux have to do anything??? Nvidia provides PLENTY of options and support for those who are concerned about image quality in their games through their own driver software, and through first party tools like inspector. Neither is dependent on OS. Why can't AMD do the same?

I spent nearly $1,200 on AMD's flag ship cards for a reason. I can't fathom why anybody would take issue with me expressing discontent over their lack of support for such matters. And FYI, I've contacted AMD directly several times regarding this issue already. And I'm certain others have as well. Nothing is being done.

6. ELCID777

ELCID777 Banned

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    I'd really like to stay with AMD, but the lack of options and freedom is killing me. I feel like starting a petition over this. Who's with me?

7. prcko

prcko New Member

GPU:
    HD 7950
    i think they don't care...

8. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

You said "i'm sick of not being able to attain the image quality i want in my games because of all of their ridiculous restrictions and non-existing options to do so". I mentioned Linux because they have open-source drivers that are freely available to modify to your needs, should you have the knowledge to do so. Windows drivers from AMD (and NVIDIA) are proprietary, so you use them as-is. As for why AMD can't do it, who knows. Maybe it's a planned feature. Maybe it's too unpredictable. Maybe they have better things to implement.

The Downsampling program exists and worked fine at some point. I am almost certain AMD did not go out of their way to totally break Downsampling. Someone probably just needs to update the program, or code a new one.

I see plenty of people complaining about some issues, and majority of them don't report it to AMD. Although I'm glad you did take the time to report it to them.

I'm hoping you didn't spend that kind of money expecting to always be able to use an unsupported feature though, or else that would seem kind of silly (AMD afaik hasn't directly supported Downsampling).

Slightly unrelated, but I bought my GPU because of the OC and OV capabilities, just to find out that AMD doesn't officially support OC's past a certain point (about 100Mhz past my stock clocks). There's an unofficial OC unlock thing MSI has that can bypass this, but I am now aware that AMD can take this away (or, a more understandable option, accidentally break it) at any point. I wish AMD would just have some clock unlock thing available, but I'm more mad at MSI for advertising how OC'able this card is.

9. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    corps never care...never was and never would be...unless they lose profit on long run, then they change the course of their actions and such...

10. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Since when NVInspector is NVIDIA development?

11. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    So you spend $1,200 on AMD's flagship card, just for downsampling?

ha

ha...HAHA..BWHAHAHAHAahhaha

12. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT/290X
    A couple of drama queens in this thread, watch yourselves.

13. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    i am so tired of this thread :puke2:

it's the tool's fault not amd's and the flaming is non-stop i think since it doesn't work anymore it should be closed as it is so disrespectful to AMD.

i loved this tool last year, so burn it down, it's old it's useless, end of story.:banana:

as regarding crying out loud people they are god-awful, go take nvidia and leave us alone.

14. Derko1

Derko1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x1080s
    Maybe just don't post/read this thread? Seems you're kinda dumb if you just keep clicking on it to rage at it.

This is you every time you come to this thread...:bang: and then :wanker:

Edit: I don't think most people understood what this tool did. What it basically did, was simplify a process that could be used with tools that were included in the driver.

The AMD Display Library SDK is what was used to create the custom resoltuions. This app made it easier to simply not go through the process of manually doing it... as described here: http://www.wsg-f.org/article/force-custom-resolutions-amd-gpus

Remove the "-" to go to the page.

AMD simply removed/made incompatible the AMD Display Library SDK from the previous drivers, which is why we could still install on top of the old drivers and have the new ones work.

So it's not AMD OUT TO GET EVERYONE USING DOWNSAMPLING... but it's maybe just them cleaning up their drivers from outdated stuff that they don't really use anymore.

I know that the ADL SDK is a dev tool, so I have no idea if it got replaced with something new.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there, other than just replying to the tosspot above. :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  15. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Using instructions found on page linked by Derko1 I could add a custom resolution of 2560x1600 to my 1920x1200 display, it does appear as available resolution and CCC shows maximum resolution for that display as 2560x1600. However when I pick that resolution, the display goes into sleep mode. So I think the tool used to create custom resolutions needs to be updated, it's not ADL's fault as the commands to create custom resolutions are still working, just need correct timings/settings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Derko1

Derko1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x1080s
    Very interesting. I had not tried it since back in the day when I had messed with it before the downsampling app... so it just goes to prove further, that whatever ADL it was calling for before, it isn't there anymore. It might have been replaced by something new.

Japamd have you seen the error that the downsampling app gives when trying to apply the resolution? I'm wondering if you can maybe do the work to get the resolution in there manually, and then go through adding the exact resolution with the amdgui and see if it applies the extra stuff to the existing res already.

I can't test it, I'm at work... :bang:

Btw... maybe that could be a new feature of RP? Huh?! :)

17. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Derko1, I think the opposite, the commands are still there, if the tool isn't working then it needs to be fixed/adapted to ADL SDK 5 (the latest version).

About adding downsampling to RP, I can't configure my own displays so let's leave alone the other hundreds or thousands of displays and video card combinations out there :p

18. Derko1

Derko1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x1080s
    lol

Well you would know way better than I would about it. I just wish the author of the app hadn't given up on it... hopefully someone picks it up and fixes it. I'm sure now that there's no way around it, someone will try to get it working again.:)

Edit:

Just saw these posts in the german forum where the tool came from...

And reply from the person who tried it...

I wonder what DLL it was that needed replacing from the old drivers to the new ones. :confused:

19. HiCZoK

HiCZoK Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB G1
    any news ?
    Do we have to stay on 13.6b2 ?

20. Derko1

Derko1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x1080s
    Nothing so far...

Anyone has been able to use the SSAATool successfully? I think that I might end up switching to newer drivers and trying to use that tool. I know it doesn't work with older games, but there's not much else to do at this point. It doesn't seem like the AMDGUI tool is ever going to get fixed. :(