Downsampling with AMD: Guide and Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Elajitz

Elajitz Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Hey i just want this confirmed after all tries and no real answers!!
    It is possible to down-sample whit Mobility Gpu's
    i tried CRU and DownSamplingGui_0.6 but it fails under win8!
    so just to be clear before i go back to seven i just want to know
    if down-sampling on Mobility-gpu are possible..
    i will be very great full for an answer

2. neologan

neologan Member

Does the installing 12.11, using GUI tool, then uninstalling and putting 13.x driver on still work?

I just followed the steps in this post but it simply does not keep the setting once i go on the latest driver (13.6 in my case).

Need confirmation others are actually getting this to work these days and if so, how?

3. Techio

Techio Guest

GPU:
    XFX Fury 4096SP Unlocked
    Quote from Overclock.net

"A small correction, or at least this is how it works for me.

1. Uninstall current drivers using any driver cleaning software, I prefer something thorough the first time.
    2. Install Catalyst 12.11 drivers.
    3. Set your custom resolutions with the downsampling GUI utility.
    4. uninstall using the official AMD uninstaller (may not work correctly for windows 8).
    5. Install drivers of choice and simply use the AMD uninstaller before changing to newer drivers, if you like.

This is working for for the latest catalyst 13.3 beta 2 and I have simply uninstalled using the AMD utility before each driver upgrade since the catalyst 13.1 were released." - BZ1891

http://www.overclock.net/t/1261203/amd-downsampling-guide/50

By the way, at 2560x1440, my game resolution has lines going across the screen and being all distorted. Anyone have this issue and know the problem?
    Edit: Only had 1 display enabled and the resolution distort was improved but there was still glitches. (I have to get 1 display extended in order to get audio)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  4. Kaaskop

Kaaskop Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Duke
    Hmm, on 12.11 i still can't apply my res... even tho GPU scaling is disabled, i somehow can't use this res...

[​IMG]

Anyone got any idea why?

5. Techio

Techio Guest

GPU:
    XFX Fury 4096SP Unlocked
    Did you go to advance settings - monitors and un-tick "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display"? Also, I heard that you can ONLY apply the resolutions in games, not sure about Desktops.

6. Kaaskop

Kaaskop Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Duke
    Yeah i did, did the exact steps as i did before on my other win8 64bit install..
    Really odd that it's not working now. But imma switch to green soon anyway, no more issues like this finally..

7. sh4dow

sh4dow New Member

If I understand the process of this correctly, contrary to the nvidia method, here, downsampling is done by the monitor (compare this and this). Why? I somehow doubt my monitor does a better job at downsampling than my GPU. Although it does probably increase performance.

And one thing I have not read a single discussion about - IF the image is downsampled by the GPU before being output (as in the nvidia method), why on earth can't one just use e.g. 7680x4320? I don't see why that should matter to either the GPU or the display.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  8. Derko1

Derko1 Guest

GPU:
    2x1080s
    Good point. I know that it's simply dependant on both the display and the GPU being able to do it. The display doesn't simply receive a signal, but receives information to make the image fit at whatever resolution the signal is. So I think that's where the issue comes in. Then the display tries to display the resolution at 7680x4320... but it can't. If the information that says what resolution to use could be removed, then I guess it work... don't know though.

9. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    No joy again with CRU tool.

Now on Win8 64, and just like Win7 64 this tool does exactly...... nothing.

The fact im on Win8 and cant uninstall any AMD driver properly without bsod'ing everytime, means I cant do the install 12.11 first workaround etc etc

No downsampling for me anymore :(

Got an itchy finger now on a 780 ACX...... and put an end to these AMD woes, which always emerge without fail everytime. With a green card you just don't have to jump through hoop sand workarounds to get stuff to work.

10. sh4dow

sh4dow New Member

I feel your pain (slickric21). I just got a 7970, my first AMD card because I've grown to hate nvidia over the years but based on my current experience I might quickly sell that 7970 again before it loses value...

OT:
    I've reverted to catalyst 12.11, have added those custom resolutions but they simply don't show up.
    I've also tried installing this driver which allegedly enables resolutions of up to 3840x2160. Nothing.

11. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    Don't bother with the CRU tool if you want to downsample. CRU isn't a downsampling tool, and it was never intended to be according to the maker of the software, ToastyX

So far, the ONLY downsampling tool I've had success with in achieving resolutions above the current 2720x1700 limit I have with the AMD GUI tool, has been Tommti-Systems SSAA tool.

With Tommti's SSAA tool, I'm finally able to game with a resolution of 3840x2400 on all of my DX10/DX11 games (Crysis 3, BF3, Metro LL, etc.)

I'm amazed that no one in here has posted this as an alternative to the AMD GUI tool, as it works better, imo, and has no limit on resolutions one can use.

Remember, though, this program works slightly different, as it only allows for these resolutions in-game, and not on the desktop. Also, it requires you to disable driver signature's which can be done by pressing F8 during bootup and disabling them in the menu.

Here's the link.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...i-systems.de&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13710695467906

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  12. sh4dow

sh4dow New Member

SSAA... funnily enough, I was just going to ask whether downsampling from 3840x2400 wouldn't be the same as using 4xSSAA anyway.

13. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    It's the same. Downsampling from 3840x2400 to 1920x1200 (my native resolution) is the same as if I selected 4xSSAA in a game that featured supersampling.

Tommti-systems SSAA tool is OGSSAA, and works well enough. If you want to try it, just make sure to check out the read-me file and follow his directions accordingly.

Playing with 4xOGSSAA (3840x2400 downsampled) is glorious, I must say.

14. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    Downsampling with Nvidia still requires a bit of fiddling and time, and it's not error free either.

I was in the same boat as you until I found out about Tommti's tool. AMD and downsampling/SSAA in the latest games is possible with Tommti's, it's not hassle free, but it works, and that's all I'm concerned about.

I request OP list Tommti-System SSAA Tool 1.02 as an alternative method to downsampling. It's proven to work, and it's been around since 2010.

15. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    Tomtti's tool will work on most DX10/11 games. I've gotten it to work in Crysis 3/2, Deus Ex: HR, Metro 2033/Last Light, BF3, Hitman Absolution (requires manually setting resolution in registry location), Mass Effect 3, Batman AC, and a few others.

The only game which I couldn't get it to work on was Sleeping Dogs, unfortunately.

16. sh4dow

sh4dow New Member

Great, thanks for clearing that up :)
    (And I gotta say... 8xSSAA with EQAA does look mighty fine... makes me wish for a 16x option in RadeonPro. If only to check whether I could still see the improvement)

17. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

SSAA-Tool is too much hassle and defeats the purpose of having a simple GUI.

I don't think it's a reasonable alternative.

18. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    Hassle? I don't know about that. It was pretty straight forward to me.

All I did was download the tool:

1 - Restarted my machine and entered F8 before the Windows splash screen, and disabled driver signatures and commenced to normal boot.

2 - Now, back at my desktop, I then went into the tool, configured the amount of SSAA I wanted, and added the .exe locations of each game I want to play.

3 - I enabled the program.

4 - Opened game, SSAA tool window popped up, I checked "Fix mouse pointer cursor" option. I then went into the game menu and chose the new resolution and played the game.

Again, it was pretty straight forward to me once I disabled the driver signature.

-----------------------

Now, compare that to the AMD GUI tool which in order to work properly with the new beta's requires a series of uninstallations, re-installations, and reboots which can become very tedious after a while.

Uninstalling your current driver, rebooting, re-installing the older 12.11 beta driver, reboot again -- add new resolutions, reboot again -- install 13.6 driver over 12.11, reboot again.

AMD GUI seems like a lot more effort to me. And I was limited to 2720x1700 downsample, whereas with Tommti's allows me 2400p and above and requires no repeated driver un-installs, re-installs, and repeated reboots.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  19. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Only a single installation of the Catalyst 12.11 drivers is required as part of the temporary workaround.

20. mystik

mystik Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6900xt N+
    for myself, i have to reinstall 12.11 everytime i want the downsampling to work.

the only way i can get it to work is install 12.11, then install overtop.
    if i uninstall 12.11, my resolution is also removed.