Downsampling: How to

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by wasteomind, Jun 17, 2011.

1. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Removed

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Removed.

3. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Removed

4. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Removed.

5. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Removed

6. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I agree its trolling, hence removed all my post.

7. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Fine, I will do the same. I suppose I was never entirely on point to begin with.

8. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Trying to cover your tracks that you claim Nvidia supports full screen Sparse Rotated Grid Super Sampling Mode!.

9. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Haha, give it up man.

The words sparse and rotated are just words to define the position of sub-samples. I was correct the entire time, but it doesn't have a whole lot of relevance to this thread (especially with you trolling about), so I removed it ;)

10. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I know what sparse (scattered) and Rotated meant, also how they are used to calculate average color value.

One question.

How how can you manage to take both both sub-pixel values of both scattered and rotated location without irregularity of the pattern across all the pixels and without sub-pixel samples overriding each other on the screen...Obviously all that from a single upscaled image rendered in real time (also downscaled in real time into your screen), without the extra overhead [of the already upscaled image to be rendered with the "x" multiplier being used for the number of samples taken on the screen (like 2x, 4x, 8x).]

11. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Look, in relation to NVIDIA's 2x2 ordered grid supersampling, 4x "sparse grid" supersampling uses a rotated pattern (the same pattern as 4x multisampling). That is all I ever meant by my initial comment, but it got taken way out of proportion. Moderators please feel free to delete any or all of my posts from this thread thanks, I am done here.

12. dare2die

dare2die New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560 Ti
    Thanks!

Hey there wasteomind, i purposely created an account here *just* so i can thank you for this guide. Usually i just browse forums without posting.
    Seeing as u made a very good and detailed *English* guide, that unfortunately isn't as popular as it should be :p

It started when i was having AA problems with Dead Space 2, looked everywhere for a solution that didn't require me to lower shadow quality (even Nvidia's Sparse Grid Supersampling defaults shadows to normal with the compatibility bits).

In the end i settled on a combination of downsampling and Nvidia FXAA.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=348097

I Highly recommend combining downsampling with FXAA in games that have trouble with traditional AA. The downsampling helps with "invisible" pixels (like on tree branches/ wires in the distance) while the FXAA practically cleans up everything else without a performance hit. I'm using a Samsung P2450 1080p monitor that i managed to get to 1100 vertical & 2500 horizontal total pixels. The highest multiple of 160 i could get the resolution to is 3200x1800 (which is about 1.66x Supersampling, 5 game pixels squeezed into every 3 LCD pixels). So far no problems, the pixel clock is a solid 165.000MHz (not below, hope that is ok).

I have one question though, what, actually, do those timings that were adjusted do? Lowering a setting that has the name "total pixels" on a display doesn't sound particularly good :p

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  13. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    i managed to get various resolutions working on my display the highest being 2560x1600@50hz 16:10 display and the lowest being 2048x1280@59hz and a couple inbetween. but my games only show the lowest 2048x1280 and cant make em show the highest. i tryd forcing the highest in the games config file but it then starts at normal 1920x1200.
    any ideas? also i get flikering in game at 2048x1280

edit : in bad company 2 i can force the res 2560x1600 on game.ini and launch the game but its flikering and after a couple of seconds the game reverts to lowest possible resolution.

im runing on 285.38 driver if that has anything to do

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  14. MfA

MfA Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    with latest 285.62 i can not use downsampling anymore.. shame..

15. sh4dow

sh4dow New Member

how can i actually tell whether my graphics card is actually downsampling? because for all i know, it could be actually displaying the resolution i've created. at least the jaggies are still fairly obvious and when i take a screenshot, it has the full resolution. unless there is actually interpolation going on, i don't see much use in this technique...

in case somebody also has the problem that they don't see those icons in the custom resolution window, next to the custom resolution... if you select the resolution and then hover your mouse over the space to the right where the icons are supposed to be, you might see them as flickering boxes.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

16. ryan125271

ryan125271 New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    I was wondering what effect changing the total pixels has on the quality of the custom resolutions made or does it just change how far you can go in making a bigger resolution? All I've done so far is change the Horizontal pixel and vertical line fields to a 2720 x 1700 custom res but would altering the total pixel fields make it look better/less blurry or just give me more to work with in upping the res. I'm not really noticing much blur/ quality loss as it is.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  17. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I couldn't seem to find a solution...

The highest custom resolution I can get to for my monitor (ASUS VS248H 1920x1080 native) is 3504x1971 (290.53 beta).

Anything higher results in a pop-up saying that the resolution is not supported my monitor. I have a custom inf with a max res that I plugged in myself (3840x2160). So what gives here?...

Could it be the fact that I'm on HDMI?

18. MfA

MfA Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    nope, it's not because of your monitor but driver itself.. i too am using an modified EDID but it doesnt help either(highest i can get 3648x2052@50Hz).. Have you tried 275.xx drivers ?? 295 series drivers are gonna fix the issue, 3840x2160 will be available again, according to rumours at least..

19. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Wow, awesome. Thanks for the info!

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    can anyone help me on how to create a custom EDID config please ?