Downsampling: How to

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by wasteomind, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Godimus

Godimus Guest

GPU:
    everchanging
    I followed this guide perfectly.. but i cant get it to work with Nvidia Surround. . my res is 5760/1080 and i would like to get something like 5760/2160 or anything but nothing works. can anyone help me with this ?

2. dhwang

dhwang Guest

GPU:
    nvidia GTX 560 ti
    non-native resolution

I'd like to downsampling from 1440p to 720p on a 1080p monitor. Is it possible?

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    No.

Everything is downsampled to your native resolution.

4. dhwang

dhwang Guest

GPU:
    nvidia GTX 560 ti
    I see. Thanks!

5. Godimus

Godimus Guest

GPU:
    everchanging
    so does anyone have a clue as to why i cant add custom resolutions in nvidia surround is downsampling just not an option?

6. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I just downsampled for the first time. I'm doing it on Dead Space 3. It works at 2560 x 1440 from 1920 x 1080. However when I select the new resolution in game it seems like the whole screen is darker, as if the brightness got turned down. Is this normal?

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    If you are going over HDMI, it's possible that before at 1920x1080 you were neither getting full chroma resolution and the correct RGB level range. Thus everything by default is set-up for improper 16-235 instead of 0-255.

This is why when it sets to the proper levels with a custom resolution that is being simply sent as a "PC" resolution to the EDID rather than an "HDTV" compatible standard resolution such as 1080p or 720p.

8. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Thanks for your reply. I am using hdmi cable from the back of my graphics card to my sony HDTV. I'm sorry but I'm not following what your saying... Can you explain it to me as if I was a 4th grader ;) When I went into my nvidia graphics setting. I did have the custom resolution from my graphics card. Would it have been better to select "display" and set up accordingly?

Can you provide direction for me so the brightness looks the same when set to my native resolution of 1920x1080? It would be greatly appreciated. Sounds like you know what your talking about.

9. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Ok! I found it. When I enter in nvidia control panel under "adjust desktop color setting" there's an option at the bottom for "digital color format" that changes RGB to YCbCr444. By changing it from RBG to YCbCr444 keeps the colors/darkness the same while downsampling. I wanted to share that info.

10. carpetad

carpetad Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 Lightning x2
    how can set 4k res in control panel?
    plz
    1920x1080 61Hz
    to 3840 x 2160?

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Follow the guide in the OP, except set your Refresh rate to 30Hz

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I think you are thinking of monitors physically capable of 4k. Monitors capable of a decent downsampling shouldn't need 30hz to downsample a 4k res to 1080p unlike actually displaying 4k.

13. wackygoose

wackygoose Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 Windforce
    Anyone here with a 770? What is the max 16:10 resolution you managed to run Dota 2?

Can you give examples for another games?

Thank you!

14. wackygoose

wackygoose Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 Windforce
    I used to downsample with old drivers and my old gpu.... now with the lastest driver I've set things right but custom resolutions are not appearing in-game...

Am I missing something here?

15. Marconiex

Marconiex Guest

GPU:
    Kingston HyperX Beast 16G
    Downsampling Screen Resolution

I was able to downsample a resolution of 5200 x 2900 16:9 to 1080p 16:9 with a EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked card. I haven't been able to get any higher. The picture quality is superb on my Vizio 55" 1080p HDTV.

That's a higher resolution than 4k isn't it?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

16. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    nice guide

17. Kaladin

Kaladin Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    Hi there! I have an unexpected issue with downsampling.

I've been downsampling since early 2014, initially with my GTX 680 and then with the new 780Ti.

Yesterday I had to format the hard drive. When I reinstalled the drivers and everything else, I tried to add the downsampled resolution, but during the test everything looks very blurry, which never happened before (I'm using the same monitor), so I decided not to save the resolution.

Any tips?Thanks!

18. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    anyone know why sometimes when trying to set customs resolutions for downsampling, when testing. instead of going fullscreen, I get a blackscreen with everything being squeezed together in a thin line at the top of the screen.

sometimes I have to keep hitting test and esc key until it finally kicks in and works.

19. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    Thank you for the guide. I am using a Samsung 1080p flat panel via hdmi. I was able to get the following to work @60hz:
    2400x1350
    2560*1440
    2880*1620
    3200*1800
    3480*2160(but no sound :( ) any suggestions? I'm thinking not enough bandwidth at that resolution to carry both signals.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  20. Xanvast

Xanvast Guest

GPU:
    Titan X P 3 Way SLI
    Still struggling finding why anything over 2560x1440 active pixels gives a distorted picture with black bars. Anybody got an idea ?