1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downsampling: How to

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by wasteomind, Jun 17, 2011.

1. mrmjj

mrmjj New Member

GPU:
    asus gtx 660ti
    I have started following this guide and have got my vertical Total pixels down to 1090. My question is, on the next step when I increase the Horizontal Total pixels do I keep the vertical at 1090 or do I put it back to its default setting 1125?
    I assume that I should leave it at the low setting but want to double check before I continue.
    Thanks in advance!

Update:
    I kept the vertical setting low and the final figures were:
    2352 horizontal and 1090 vertical. This would make the final resolution 2352x1323. Have I done this correctly?

I also tried the resolution at 2560x1440 and that works fine anyway so I am slightly confused!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    Odd, I can do 2560x1440 at 120hz but can't do 3200x1800 at anything over 50hz without a pop up saying that res isn't supported by my display.

3. prodigalson1

prodigalson1 Active Member

GPU:
    3 x gtx titan
    i have a 2560x1600 dell monitor (u3011) it's possible to dawnsampling ? at what resolution ?

4. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 OC
    You know it can be downsampled but you dont know what resolution.

5. prodigalson1

GPU:
    3 x gtx titan
    i want to know if is possible to dawnsampling with my monitor ?

6. Prag

Prag Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 TwinFrozr
    Try 2920x1825 resolution with auto timings

7. prodigalson1

GPU:
    3 x gtx titan
    thanks

8. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 OC
    Oh right. You said that your monitor can be downsampled in the post I quoted.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    bandwidth limitation

@mrmjj
    use adv timings at auto, check my post here :)

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4542681&postcount=290

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  10. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    I cannot select GPU scaling only display. That's the only scaling option I have, any help?

11. bo3bber

bo3bber Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 SLI
    One thing I don't understand is why you change the monitor timing at all.

Why not leave the timing on Manual, set for the native resolution of your screen, then only change the settings in the top of the dialog?

So for example, 1680x1050@120Hz screen. Leave bottom Timing section on Manual, and change the Display mode section to have 2x pixels in each dimension of 3360x2100@120Hz. The monitor would have identical timings to native resolution.

As long as your video card has enough RAM, wouldn't it be better to have the video card do the downsampling instead of the monitor?

12. NeonFlak

NeonFlak New Member

GPU:
    6gb Crucial
    So, maybe I'm confused here, by downsampling you are having the gpu render at 2560x1440, but outputing to your monitor at 1920x1080? So, what if your monitor actually displays everything at 2560x1440 once you set this? When I do this, it's not downsampling but actually creating the 2560x1440 resolution.

13. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 XC Ultra
    @NeonFlak
    When you set it, it is downsampling. Your monitor only has the pixel detail to display 1920x1080, by forcing it to display a higher resolution like 2560x1440 the lack of required pixel detail (2073600 VS. 3686400) effectively resizes the image- reducing detail but smoothening the image.
    You can see the effect yourself if you want, make a pixelated circle and resize it smaller, it acts as anti-aliasing.
    [​IMG]

@-Tj-&BababooeyHT
    Try http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-NVIDIA-Pixel-Clock-Patcher
    Also very useful for getting high resolutions not just refresh rates since it does its magic by disabling the clock limit. (I got my 60hz monitor to 70hz by combining methods)

14. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 GAMING X
    not only it acts as anti-aliasing, but also textures are sharper and sometimes more objects are rendered in the far distance. you get better detailed and smoothed image.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  15. flexy

flexy Member Guru

GPU:
    Riva 128
    I cannot overemphasize enough how much BETTER downsampling is if you use the "SSAA Tool 1.02" which you can download here:

http://www.tommti-systems.de/temp/SSAA_Tool.rar

I get amazing image quality and performance with this tool in Far Cry 3, downsampling from 3360 x 2100 to my native monitor's 1680 x 1050.

I tried ALL other methods out there, including "control panel downsampling", forcing AA with NV Inspector, SMAA Injector, Sweet FX etc. to get rid of jaggies. All those other methods yielded bad results. (SGSSAA via Inspector looks extremely blurry and I also found that SweetFX etc. looked WORSE than without). It seems that with forced AA via inspector LOD doesn't get applied, resulting in horrible blur while, at the same time, the annoying artifact "crawling" effect remains.

With SweetFX and SMAA injector, my own subjective impression is that the jaggies are NOT getting less, but with many settings get actually worse/more visible. I have seen some people recommending SweetFX in various games and tried them and do NOT like the results, most of the time games get even more "cartoon like" and unrealistic rather then looking better or with less jaggies.

Advantages of this tool: You can use games that use DX10/DX11 with this tool.

It is NOT dependent on your monitor since the downsampling is done native from the DirectX10+ API which IMO is much better/elegant than creating a "pseudo resolution" via CPanel.

PS: In Far Cry 3, disable postfx also (gets rid of blur, in gamerprofile.xml have postfxquality="false"), disable MSAA in game, it really looks amazing and is quite playable even on my 660 TI/overclocked.

Last edited: May 6, 2013

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    this downscaling is tricky when you using vga connection. it scales the image differently.
    so far highest I got was 2880x1620

edit: and 3300x2100

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  17. Random Guy

Random Guy Member

GPU:
    GTX 680 SLI
    How are you disabling Driver Signing here? Are you booting with F8 or using a program to sign the Driver first?

I would like to use SSAA Tool but not if it involves constant setting of the System to Test Mode.

Also, compared to the NCP SSAA options, why is there any quality difference at all? Surely both should do the same thing?

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    SSAA Tool never worked well for me personally and perf/quality wasn't that great. Compatibility was spotty too

19. flexy

flexy Member Guru

GPU:
    Riva 128
    I do not know whether this is a "Quality" difference, neither do I know whether there is a performance difference. However, down sampling via the native DX API, like the tool does, seems simply the smarter way to do.

Why should your monitor capabilities play a role in regards to downsampling? Then, I furthermore cannot even bring my monitor to display a "fake" 3360 x 2100 resolution, and even IF I COULD it would likely be at a much decreased refresh rate.

My quality comment was rather about applying (SGSSAA) AA via NV inspector which looks incredible, incredible awful, at least in Far Cry 3. And also that with people who use SweetFX/SMAA etc...many of them claim it gets rid of jaggies but then use a sharpener setting in addition which actually makes jaggies even more noticeable. (Obviously, some people have a taste for making their games all look "cartoon like" and as less realistic as possible using SweetFX...my personal taste is I want to have games look as good and natural as possible, and not LESS realistic than they already are)

20. flexy

flexy Member Guru

GPU:
    Riva 128
    It works well in FC3, havent tested too many other games (eg. GTA IV ENB mods have their own downsampling built in, so it wont work)...and other games already have sufficient AA or NV Cpanel forcing might be the better option. It really always depends on the particular game. However, as for FC3, no question for me it looks best of all solutions and performance is also decent.

Last edited: May 10, 2013