Downloaded some patches on my internet 6GB=125 bucks

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by gerardfraser, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Geralt

Geralt Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    Australia's internet prices are quite good now. Just a few years ago it was normal to be paying $70 for just 10GB a month with either excess charges per MB or being capped to 64kbps. Now for $70 you can get 200GB depending on the ISP and/or where you live.

I'm in a rural area and consider myself very lucky. I can get ADSL (5599 kbps usually, up to 6000 kbps on a good day) and am currently paying $90 a month and get capped to 128kbps if I exceed my quota (100GB).

100GB doesn't sound like much for $90... however, I also get loads of unmetered content (doesn't count towards my quota) -- I can download most Steam games completely quota free, I can watch and download demos/videos/mods/patches from http://games.on.net/, I can watch some TV shows online, etc. So really I use far beyond that 100GB. Well worth it IMO.

Feel sorry for those who can't get decent internet though. Really must suck. :( One thing that really pisses me off is seeing some people complain about their "slow" 25mbps connection with unlimited quota.

2. jellysheep

jellysheep Banned

GPU:
    Elitegroup GTX 570
    i get Xfinity cable, phone, internet (30mbps) all for $99 a month.

3. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    And people in the U.S. still insist upon not letting the government tell ISPs to get reasonable...just stupid.

Canada and the U.S. are really screwed up in the telecommunications firms-government dynamic. These telecoms get away with so many shady things, and their buddies in the government ensure that they can keep up this consumer-raping.

- PR-0927

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    ye, we just do a peaceful protests on those instead, we did protest the gov't on it before, we protested against UBB and succeeded as a matter of fact.

Agreed, and it doesn't help that CRTC (the FCC counterpart in Canada) which is the civilian regulator (which means it's not technically part of the government and the government is technically not allowed to override CRTC policies) have people who used to be executives at the Big 3 telecoms >.>".

deltatux

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

5. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 840M
    Dunno.. perhaps the wire doesn't reach his place? At home, I'm limited to mobile Internet too.. :(
    Even my residential phone number is wireless

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Well then, I'm guessing he must live in a rural part of Canada then, which kinda sucks for him then since landline is available to anyone living in a city.

deltatux

7. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    $30/Month here for 10Mbps with no cap or limit... it's fast enough for our needs and apparently is cheaper than most of my fellow North Americans are paying. :/

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    True that, my family's paying $46.95+an extra $5/month + tax for 12 mbps down, 512 kbps up with a 60 + 20 GB cap. It's ridiculous.

deltatux

9. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    IS this mobile internet though, not a land connection? If so then you can't compare to a land one.

Also it looks like it was $76 for 1GB and the rest was included in your $35?

I pay £25 a month for unlimited internet and texts and 900 mobile mins. MAx I've done is 4.5GB in a month when I moved and had no proper connection, that was tethered to my PC. Wasn't charged extra though.

10. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor 8G OC
    say what you will about the US but gotta be grateful for the type of ISP infrastructure that we have allowing such incentives as unlimited down/up bandwidth.

11. Bogdy2160

Bogdy2160 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 380 Armor 2X
    Im payng 8 $ for 100\40 mbps.In Romania.

12. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I am currently working 2000 miles from home out in the sticks,I am lucky there is a connection to the net here,most phones do not even work lol.

Back at my house I have both big internets in Canada where the prices are cheaper in the city.

13. Metz

Metz Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5850 TOP CF
    Even in Michigan we have lots of rural areas and places where the only line your gonna get is a standard phone line and 56k internet. Some areas are within 5 miles of some towns or other locations that have cable available.

The only internet I can get where I'm currently living besides dial up is 3mbit Wifi and the only reason I can even get that is because the ISP is privately owned. An open 900mhz system. Tower is about a mile away with a radio + 8ft yagi on the roof. Top quality stuff.

There are lots of places in the states that do not have access to anything but a standard phone line. Some people still do own farms and live outside the city and lots of these places are hit and miss when concerning high speed internet solutions. And if you do happen to find someone providing in your area the prices are horrible.

I pay $60 a month for 3mbit/1mbit wifi and that's when its working 100%. The other provider in my area is another private wireless guy but wants to charge the same price for 1.5mbit and even sells 256k connections for $25+ a month.

Some people seem to think we "less fortunate" should just pick up and move to where the internet is good but yea its not always that easy.

I talked to my ISP guy and he was telling me the funds the state received with Obamas deal was/is all of course controlled by the state and they were denying a lot of projects to expand our high speed internet in the sticks but apparently they didn't think it was needed and did not provide grants or were very selective about it and where. The big carriers have no interest in expanding in areas so they have said very recently around here which also makes it frustrating.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  14. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Sweet mother!!

I'm paying 27€ for a 100/10 mbit fiber line (no cap, no restrictions), and I think it's expensive :3eyes:

15. Kenpomasta

Kenpomasta Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 570 SOC
    Dude your the ignorant for sticking with bell, I'm using Telus 6GB data all included 10 numbers unlimited call text and free iphone4 plan for 80$ tax in, And videotron at home 12mbps unlimited business, I dont like having any caps at home, stream to my tv and all 100$ including a landline, but once my contract ends ill upgrade to a 50mbps :)

16. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I get unlimited local talk, Canada/US text and data for $25/month with Mobilicity :p

However, Videotron does offer one of the best Internet packages available in Canada, no lie. Unfortunately, they're Quebec only.

deltatux

17. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Dude you tell me what you need downloaded and I'll 2 day air you a DVD disk of all the patches which will be a fraction of that cost in regards to the shipping vs that rip off internet cap...but I feel your pain. I'm sure any guru here would do the same if you asked!

18. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    no its infrastructure that kills us here in the US/Canada. See all our lines are very old in technological years - hell some copper lines are prob over 60 years old maybe pushing 100. Everything in Europe was destroyed in WWII so they got the grand opportunity to rebuild all new and better lines.

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Sounds like complete rip off it me.

We pay 13,90/month for 3G connection (max 15mbit) and no download caps. They offer 50 mbit 4G connections for 19,90€ and 100 mbit 4G for 39,90€. Unlimited data.

20. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thanks man for the offer.It really is not about the money for me.

I do have a connection at work in which I use everyday to download 90% of what I need or want.I download some patches because I could not wait LOL to get them at work.

I just posted my bill because I thought it was over the top for 6GB worth of downloads and they can charge you up to a maxium of $500 a month.

Some people do get gouged when there are no other options for them.