Download: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    That's odd I just played for an hour yesterday without issue.
    Have you gone back to 20.2.2 as per your 2 other posts this past Friday as it was a better option for you then 20.3.1.

2. HD64G

HD64G Member

GPU:
    SapphirePulseRX5700
    Exactly! 20.2.2 is working with Div2.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Division 2 has trash of an engine. And proof that developers had no idea what to do and what is F*ing bad idea.

1st time I launched game, it went into character creation without setting graphics or asking me if I want F*ing annoying narrator for people which can't read to robotically repeat itself every time I move mouse over some element.
    I had to turn off sound output, because it went on my nerves. I had to create character on some mediocre detail settings, having no idea how it will look in game with max details.

But it did not really matter. I got into game, switched to DX12 and game did crash. Restart, crash within 10 seconds. Restart => repeat.
    Game that crashes because of DX12 is game that has been coded for it improperly. At least it did not crash entire PC or anything like that.

But I believe that such bad code can actually achieve it. It says a lot about developers when they had so much time to fix those issues. (While they have money behind them.) That's why I am not playing it.

4. HD64G

HD64G Member

GPU:
    SapphirePulseRX5700
    I cannot disagree that something in the game engine is causing instability on DX12 but I have friends that we play together and they have Polaris10 and Navi56 and they play on recent and older drivers and don't face that bug at all. Me on the Navi10 have this bug only on 20.4.2 drivers (haven't tested the 20.4.1).

5. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800XT
    I can confirm that the 20.4.x branch has borked the Freesync 2 HDR in The Division 2 (see my earlier posts), however when on 20.4.2 (SDR) and D2 is stable for me (VEGA64 LC)... So I cannot replicate other issues like crashes, only a very occasional crash under DX12 (rarer than once per week and with a gameplay each day you can nearly ignore it). For me D2 is stable, have some internal bugs and issues which are definitely not driver related, except maybe FS 2 HDR.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  6. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 UV
    just admit that you made a mistake buying 5700/xt

7. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Ive been having a blast though. 1440p gaming and no issues for the past few months. My only issue is that the video options are broken.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Stability's better, performance could be improved though some of that is also on the game in question itself including usage of DXVK however the drivers can still be improved further.
    Various surrounding issues across multiple GPU architectures and other bugs need to be looked into though, time to get these fixed and AMD's responses to some of these issues too although at least Vanguard program users are more involved now in discussions and also relaying feedback but some of these are long standing bugs or other issues and not much has changed so it can improve further.

This whole randomness to it is also a big question mark, users on new systems having to switch to Vega or Polaris or go NVIDIA and while improved Vega is also experiencing some of these black screen crashes and again it's kinda random though going with Vega or Polaris rules out potential micro hardware flaws or other problems of the Navi cards or general finicky or sensitivity to power fluctuations and the PCI Express interface.

When it can do it's thing the card is a pretty impressive piece of hardware for a mid-range part but having the card operate around 20 to 80% of peak performance is too variable and the issues on top of that as a big might or might not and then other bugs or problems with the drivers or other software but that's been mentioned over and over now though it is still a concern.

EDIT: The 20% figure is a bit extreme but stuff like Minecraft and a few other games dropping into the teens even in situations where that should never be possible, clock speed fluctuations has improved but the card can still drop to lower than expected performance even if it's less frequent.

And then stuff like DXVK and having the GPU performance increase instead of decrease, would be nice if that was a rarity only for very problematic games and their usage of D3D but that's not entirely the case.

EDIT: Or OS issues like "Game Mode" on Windows 10 which should improve CPU usage for foreground and 3D applications doing well on NVIDIA but newer AMD drivers might just see erratic performance and stuttering until this is disabled.
    (Unrelated to full-screen optimization or the Game DVR or the overlay and it can be disabled in the settings app for easy testing.)

EDIT: There's been a lot of fixes over the last 10 months or so not discrediting all that work or anything but there are still issues with Navi that's been around since launch and the regressions in driver performance and stability for Vega and Polaris plus the existing problems on Vega Frontier and Radeon VII too.

Things have improved but it's taken a lot of time and there's still work that needs to be done if at all possible without upgrading the hardware and if there are hardware issues or flaws AMD isn't really saying anything.
    (It doesn't have to be some underlying broken bit or stuff like that but some of these sensitivity problems and the way the GPU immediately alters clock speeds and scales up and down for some things.)

Curious on what RDNA2 can do but I'd like to see the current situation improved if at all possible (Fixing some of the issues on earlier hardware should be at least.) and as to game specific issues well that might improve but AMD likely does need a larger team of coders for the driver software too before it can really turn around for that situation.

Embra, OnnA, PrEzi and 1 other person like this.
  9. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800XT
    I love your posts mate. These are wise and thoughtful ones and it is really a pity that they won't take you into the Vanguard program. There are still issues even on older cards (polaris and up) that were never fully solved....
    And I fully agree that some users having those irrational issues can really really think about changing sides.... And I consider myself an AMD/ATI supporter since day one... always supporting the smaller, honest player that tries to give more to the customer than just trying to milk them with closed source/proprietary solutions.
    I owned AMD/ATI cards since 85xx series up to VEGA64.
    But the latest issues with 2020 (black screens), or -- silly regressions that are EASILY reproducible (Freesync 2 HDR in Division 2 // not an indie game, not an exotic format supported only by one game either, not a proprietary format
    AMD has no control over) are really pushing my limits...
    And since I also build custom PCs for my work colleagues and I always try to stay neutral giving, them options and explanations on all of the sides incl. several benchmarks and reviews /// preferably from different sources to show a big picture...
    But the silly issues (and to be honest --- the remaining black screens I don't consider as the "silly" one, cause it is really hard to nail the final issue, which I unfortunately tend to have....) makes me really rethink the whole idea.... I know that on the green side the grass is DEFINITELY not greener (or shall I rather say --- greedier) but I really really have a hard time... and on the verge of thinking about something silly. I do own you and some other guys on this forum some thanks for the advices that got my VEGA64 finally stable & without black screens.... but for a quite high price of locking into P1 State 852 GPU 810 mV.... thus higher thermals and higher idle power consumption... and since my work/gaming//mediaserver/everything-station runs 24/7 well..... it IS suboptimal.... and quite inefficient.
    I would really welcome some proactivity from AMD e.g. at least unlocking P0 in wattman so I could set it to for example --- 300 GPU with 800mV and P0 RAM at 500 / default mV.... or --- in a long shot a stable final fix for the power problems...

Oh and lastly --- I still DO hope, that AMD can fix some things with the WDDM 2.7 driver.... Hope dies last...

OnnA likes this.
  10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    I don't see myself as having the technical expertise needed for a full contribution to the Vanguard program, it's easy to see it from the perspective of a regular user and as a longer-term AMD GPU owner I have some experience with the hardware and drivers over several years but there's so much that has also changed and that I've not kept up very well with at all or only have a brief simple perspective about how they work. :)

I do feel like AMD has prioritized the CPU division a lot more with the success of the Zen architecture but the GPU division had rough moments also before the acquisition back in the ATI days even if their history in the business is a very long one.
    It also feels like they are stretched a bit thin so while it will take time I do hope the improved revenue and success recently for AMD overall (If it also lasts.) can also see improvements to the number of staff positions for the GPU team and that they can get some good talent going whether temporary or long term, hardware seems to be doing alright considering RDNA here is pretty new but the software situation both on Linux aided by open source development and Windows makes it very hard to currently recommend these cards even if they can be good when there is still such uncertainty about their performance and stability.

It all goes right out in regards to the whole price / performance ratio and competition between AMD and NVIDIA if AMD's flagship launch has issues for near a whole year now and the launch of RDNA2 could improve things if there's hardware issues involved but that's also a bit of a dual edge situation if it indirectly confirms that yeah the hardware actually had problems that were being kept silent about or it just divides work even further between these earlier GCN GPU's and their old and new and regressed issues in newer drivers and RDNA/GCN whether hybrid or going more fully into RDNA once Navi20 and it's variants are on the market.

Support for new and current games, fixing issues, OS problems, game specific errors and general usability and convenience tweaks and updates is also a huge undertaking, NVIDIA spent well into a year retooling their D3D11 code alone and AMD I think it was ATI back then spent more than that back in the early 2000's trying to refactor OpenGL which ultimately I believe didn't pan out as expected.

Marketing keeps being a problem too focusing on features and buzz and less on core improvements and getting stuff fixed which well now there's a large part of the net reviving the whole AMD driver problems and situation and multiple posts about people just returning AMD cards or just skipping them for NVIDIA even if it means paying more, I'd see that as a pretty critical issue myself and a big priority to rectify but together with issues for games that multiple millions of daily users are playing still going unresolved there's clearly some issue behind this situation taking so long to improve.

Randomness is a factor of course if it can't be easily replicated and tested it can't be easily debugged and resolved in-house plus the problems around the current pandemic with Corona which is affecting a lot of businesses and just about everything else in daily life and might for some time so yeah that and possibly AMD's GPU division being stretched thin is going to mean it will take time to resolve some of these issues.

RDNA2 / Navi20 will be a interesting launch, situation could get a lot worse if these cards get out early again and the driver has problems that necessitate months of focus and fixing aimed mainly on this with the situation remaining problematic or even getting worse even further for existing older cards which would be a big issue and competing with NVIDIA not only doing a die-shrink but also a new architecture and process for what might be a larger than average performance jump and further lead and market dominance could be a problem for AMD as well and next year Intel might be ready to compete with them on the CPU side more than the current situation depending on how things go.

I can't claim to know for sure and I'm far from a expert whether hardware or software, I see the situation and read up on issues for both AMD and NVIDIA and some irregularities and oddities like this DXVK situation causing a 40 - 60% performance gain if not more which just further highlights that the drivers need work beyond also what the GPU hardware and earlier limits for GCN and getting it to work at or near full capacity required even if that was and still is a thing much as Navi has made improvements to this far as gaming and gaming related performance is concerned. :)

Or what to say about it, obviously the PC shouldn't shut down at random and other problems and then the performance issues and other stuff all of that too, I've been fairly critical if not downright negative towards some of this for some time now but then the situation itself is also pretty bad much as AMD has fixed a lot of issues much still remains and other stuff you just wonder about what's going on.
    (Earlier drivers disabling hardware acceleration for a few browsers raising questions as to why this keeps breaking and if they can't even fix it if these drastic workarounds were needed but I believe that got turned around even if it too took a while.)

NVIDIA regresses too, hits issues and problems between driver updates and new GPU models like the jump in major branches but you also get communication going and see hotfixes rolled out for any immediate problems though they have a larger team as well behind much of this.

Communication overall could be better from AMD on that note but at least they've acknowledged and discussed more of this with some more active discussion and feedback even if part of it comes from the user involved Vanguard program and some strict directives for what can be discussed and what can't going by some of the leaks and AMD's responses here and not just for when a driver is coming out but what it might fix or how certain fixes are going.

Well this is getting pretty lengthy as usual heh, suppose AMD also can't outright admit hardware issues or flaws that easily or you get these finicky investors all panicking and stock prices go falling much as that happens for any little thing already.
    Much as outright denial and silence or other issues are already part of this business and the computer industry overall. It is what it is.
    (Open source Linux driver situation is going pretty well I think and that allows some comparison and insight into part of what's going on and differences in behavior and issues though there's been problems here too but it's improving also.)

So yeah bit of a wall of text but the driver situation is a problem, NVIDIA is going to be a bigger factor still once their new cards are on the market and the RDNA2 / Navi20 GPU's on AMD's side could be a improvement but it will also make the driver situation possibly even more of a struggle. :)
    Some communication wouldn't be bad but then that's not exactly a new thing whether it's the computer business or overall really and it's not like this ongoing pandemic is helping anything either and who knows how long this situation could last.

EDIT: Well...a bit might have been somewhat optimistic ha ha.
    I do like what AMD is doing with Vanguard as well for that matter, this is just going to take time and hopefully we'll see improvements on both the GPU and CPU side from AMD much as the CPU has been a bigger win for them currently and thus likely a bigger focus and priority for resources and all that but they have invested into the GPU one as well.

I can mostly just speculate and guess from how the situation looks like and what's happening or has happened over these months, it's not exactly ideal for AMD and turning it around and gaining back community goodwill and such will also take time.

And I do like the hardware but the last few months has changed my opinion on a few things.

OnnA likes this.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Plenty of videos and other articles about most of this too, not like a longer wall of text is needed when there's plenty of other material on how the situation on the GPU side is and consumers don't really benefit much from lack of competition either so AMD struggling could be even worse for things like the increase in GPU pricing as if that wasn't already problematic.

Well let's just see what 20.5.1 can bring I suppose is the only thing left to be said after all that, hopefully it's a good one whether it's a WDDM 2.7 / Win10 2004 jump or more bugfixes before that happens.

EDIT: (Yeah another one.) Well trying to summarize 11 some months of ongoing issues and even just parts of it like the Catalyst Settings redesign or bits like Wattman would be lengthy on their own so trying to write up something like a mix of a summary and personal opinions on it like this yeah it's going to be a longer read even just skipping or glancing over some of it ha ha.

I'm glad 20.2.1 and on has really made a difference so I'm not all negative or critical but it's not all there yet on the software side.
    (So curious as to what the actual issue is for some of these longer standing remaining problems but I wouldn't even know where the core problem might be or even if it's hardware or software to begin with.)

EDIT: Sigh yeah I could have summarized a bit faster I suppose.
    Let's not have a repeat where it takes over half a year for some of these fixes, hopefully it'll be avoided or at least resolved faster if things do happen for the next GPU lineup and launch.

HD64G likes this.
  12. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800XT
    Well... I really am all in for AMD... I do... but my patience is running out... I mean... for god's sake... We are talking about Polaris and VEGA architectures that are showing some serious regressions compared to the 2019 drivers branch.... You would have expected that these are well documented.... And even if the earlier (2019) drivers included some workaround and fixes that allowed them to run stable.... doesn't matter what it was... ... You would expect them to be well documented and re-implemented in the newer 2020 branch.... OR --- don't offer any upgrades at all, just tweaks for newer games but with older framework.... To be frank - doesn't matter for me....Even If I would loose 1 or 2 % performance.
    But I want the hardware (which I payed premium that time // Liquid cooled Vega64 Edition) to be damn stable 24/7/365 a year without jumping though hoops and finding workarounds by myself or with your help in that case costing additional power drain and higher temps....
    My final hope is with 2.7... If I won't see any improvements I might consider switching to the greedy side... Which I would obviously hate... As ALL decals in my PCs are RED, even my gaming chair and RGB Keyboard + Mouse... Obviously the most matching to the set is the red RADEON logo inside of the case :D

AMD Team... if you are reading this... please... I have already left countless reports, including a confirmation to contact me freely and anytime via @ to confirm some of the issues that I am able to reproduce...
    I am really standing behind AMD products and I do like the strategy to open source the technologies, or to offer them to other parties without and hindrance or ... some shady strategies...
    But I really have a hard time as Jonas has above... and might reconsider my options in the future, which I would personally hate myself for.... but... I am on an edge atm... And the whole Corona situation doesn't make the situation easier for us... Just get things done with WDDM 2.7 please. And fix the goddamn stuff or open up the P0 states so I can fix it myself with minimal impact on the temperatures and power draw....

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you are free to join the amd discord where amd employee's work and run the vanguard program from.

14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    Driver stack is re-made (almost from scratch) for any GCN+Navi parts [Educated guess].
    IMhO they will -eventually- iron out this issues, it seems complicated & time consuming process.
    From My perspetive ATI/AMD are moving drivers into Next-Gen era to be more in line with new Consoles (Next Platform in general) features -> thus Developers will have easy way to port games to/from Consoles.

Note:
    We should have working -good- driver for WDDM 2.7 sooner than later.
    Maby 20.5.1? Who knows.
    Im still on 20.3.1 & have no issues as of now, Playing games as usual.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    HD64G likes this.
  15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I had recently had some issues with black screens / lockups with the GPU, and some audio issues. They all stemmed from one source, Corsair iCUE's motherboard plug-in for Effects Control. Once I disabled all plug-ins for iCUE, my stability returned.

:sigh:

OnnA likes this.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    First black screen in a few months, guess they're not gone entirely that's interesting but it was just a display signal loss so the Win+Ctrl+B key or what it was to cause some OS stuff and get it back. :p
    (DWM and kernel error report but the Catalyst settings retained the Wattman setup for fan profile stuff and what not which usually resets but I guess it didn't register as a full driver crash either this time.)

Quite a improvement at least, still curious if it's a HW flaw or a software issue at the core of this.

17. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    What was you doing at the time it BS'd?

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Just idling on the desktop nothing really running, there's the browser but it's not using hardware acceleration nor was anything running in the background like the OS apps that would be utilizing D3D acceleration.

19. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I see, what browser do you use?

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    I'm on Firefox, problems with that browser and hardware acceleration since I had the 290X GPU means I ensure it's in software mode it works well enough most of the time but even when AMD's driver or Firefox don't mess with it any other driver instability means the browser goes crashing if the driver acts up which I dislike.

Media playback especially what with Youtube and their backend changes got notoriously problematic as well and AMD setting Firefox and Chrome in the earlier drivers (Gone now?) to simply not do hardware acceleration is kinda telling as a "fix" for the recent stability issues but I expect it to be worked out eventually, for a while as it always seem to return ha ha. (Edge affected too?)

EDIT: I do try occasionally too but a tab going black or a driver crash or browser crash or just behavior with the GPU when doing media playback are pretty telling and for Firefox the time it took to get the new GPU acceleration supported for AMD and problems back and forth also makes it clear they had their fair share of issues.

It's nice when it works but it's too erratic to ensure it will continue working or not break in later browser or driver updates plus until it's needed software mode works well enough for the majority of the browser needs thus far.

EDIT: Think it's less problematic than the hardware video playback at least but that's also improved though I haven't read up much lately for madVR or the MPC-HC video hardware decoder and AMD but I'm expecting it to be well hopefully mostly OK at least.