Download: MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 Beta 5 (and a friendly note)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    It's nice to be able to finally have precise manual control over the fan for the 5 of us on Earth who have RTX 3K cards. Thanks for the update.

PrMinisterGR and INSTG8R like this.
  3. EngEd

EngEd Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Yeah, this is something that was dearly missing out, had to put fan speed to 75% in order to actually get 50% true fan speed on my RTX 3080 based on some increased temperature. Hopefully, this release will fix that issue.

4. KillSw1tx

KillSw1tx New Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    I can't understand how the OC Scanner is still broken ... there's no initial "error" that's true, but results are always "unstable" :(

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

And I cannot understand “pleasant” posts like that from new users. Your understanding and knowledge is the only broken thing in this context. OC scanner is propiertary NVIDIA’s technology implemented inside NVIDIA driver.

blurp33 and cowie like this.
  6. KillSw1tx

KillSw1tx New Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    You are totally correct and my apologies... it wasn't a good start.
    Ok, as for the OC Scanner, I was not actually pointing out that the problem is on the Afterburner itself, but the feature behavior. Thank you for clarifying that this is a Nvidia side issue and Afterburner only "acts" like a bridge between the user and the Nvidia feature.

7. Unwinder

No worries. It is not an NVIDIA side issue too. Overclocking is never guaranteed, it is always a bonus. Some cards overclockable, others are not, some factory overclocked cards can be unstable even on stock clocks (which is a good reason for RMA).

chinobino and jura11 like this.
  8. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Does it show CPU clock on OSD of new ryzens ? - Right now it is buged.

9. Shoonay

Shoonay New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Still doesn't let me save my profile, even as an Admin.
    What does "Use firmware control mode" in [Fan properties] do?

10. Unwinder

There is magic thing called context help and release notes. It can easily answer both of your questions. And this magic thing is also available for "Lock profiles" button, which _still_ works fine.

11. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 2070 aurus
    Unwinder to your health dude def9c8540a73026db2ee797881bd9fca9f8d67f6199641f8f5ab4eb9d5ec63af.gif :)

12. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ref 6900 XT
    Does for me.

13. Shoonay

Shoonay New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Yeah, the unlock works just fine, then the numbers start blinking after pressing the disk icon, and keep blinking, no matter which one and how many times I press it. Only thing I can do is lock it again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: okay, I'm sorry, I'm an idiot, had profiles turned off in options.

14. Tellthetruth

Tellthetruth Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Does anyone had their GPU locked on highest frequency when use any profile that had changes with the curve?
    I suspect this is a Nvidia driver issue, so reinstalled drivers but no changes, reinstalled and reset AB, but nothing.
    The stock card settings work as intended, and frequency goes down when card not in use, but any of the other profiles I had with changes on the curve will put the GPU on maximum freq. even at zero GPU usage.
    And this is new, I had Afterburner 4.6.3. beta 2 before, and all profiles I had worked as intended: freq. went down when gpu not in use.
    I had stock settings on Profile 1, and my owns on the rest, so only changing to profile 1 (stock) is letting the gpu freq go down.

Forget about it, I was pressing "L" when modifying the curves, so I was disabling GPU dynamic voltage/frequency, and I remember reading it in the tooltips several times.... dumb of me, sorry.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  15. Pieter Venter

Pieter Venter New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6900X
    Uhm Guys the download contains MSIAfterburnerSetup463Beta4 installer. please upload the correct one as im eagerly awaiting for this on my XFX Merc 319 6900XT

16. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ??

Untitled-1.jpg

17. Tellthetruth

Tellthetruth Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    The download contains v4.6.3 Beta 5 build 16047 compiled on 28-01-2021 02:10:06

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  18. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    it's something we all know but don't really understand it until the day you're faced with it

1) bought an OEM 9900k (in a factory to factory industrial box) at release it's running fine 5.0@1.28v@75-85°C or 5.1@1.36v 85-95°C (aio or custom loop change nothing the die is too small to be properly cooled, the instant you stop using the cpu it goes back to 40)
    2) last year bought a second one new, in the "pretty" retail packaging for a 2nd computer made of second hand parts...it can barely run at 4.7Ghz :/ to make it run 5.0 on all cores it needs 1.4v and goes to stupid watts like 240+

It was a revelation to me, now I "know" what having a really crappy bin means, not only do you lose on the frequency but it overheats and generates more watts for no reasons, it sucks.
    Good luck at your next silicon lottery

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  19. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Thank you Guru3D! Please keep-up the great work!

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    @Unwinder I've wanted to ask: Is there something about how nVidia drivers/BIOSes work on RTX 3K limiting the maximum power draw below manual settings, or is it potentially something that can be changed/improved in Afterburner? For example my TUF 3080 OC can be set to +~10% power to have a cap of 375W, but no matter what it seems to never go above 105% power draw (aside from the very rare instant power spikes all cards experience), usually hovering even lower, barely above the stock 100% cap.

I'm always extremely power limited, so I was hoping there is an easy way to push the power a bit higher.