Download inSpectre

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 17, 2018.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Thanks for clarifying! It's a pretty useless info they tell you that way... I guess it's to calm down the less knowledgable.

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    It's the OS that should report whether you're vulnerable or not. You shouldn't need extra tools for this :-/

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    [​IMG]

I'm vulnerable to Spectre according to this program. My windows is fully updated and I have the microcode updates issued by intel. There's a flaw in the program or I have left out something?

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    If I wouldn't know better I'd say that there's probably a flaw in the microcode update.

Wait, it could be the issue. :D
    Although I think he just checked if you have some windows update installed or something?

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think the author just checks for the updates in newer versions of win10 (different KB number). I'm still on 1607 :p

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    lucidus likes this.
  9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    All good!

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Someone checked and this inSpectre utility is a 32-bit application. And my utility was 32-bit at first (just overlooked it), and it happened that on some 64-bit Windows installations my utility demonstrated results (namely for Spectre) different from PowerShell script which was absurd since both share same code. When I discovered about 32-bitness and changed it to 64-bit then results became the same.

11. x58haze

x58haze Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    Is there a way to disable the meltdown patch security on amd ryzen? cause i tried via registry + inspectre and not working.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More details of Inspectre:

More info about inspectre:
    This 64-bit OS on AMD Processor:
    OS is Meltdown aware: Yes
    OS is Spectre aware: Yes
    OS Meltdown data: 0x2020
    OS Spectre data: 0x1192
    PCID/INVPCID support: n/a / n/a
    CPU microcode updated: Yes
    CPU is meltdown vulnerable: No
    This system's processor identification:
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor
    Documentation of Meltdown (KVA) and Spectre (branch control speculation) bit flags returned by the NtQuerySystemInformation call which, when supported by updated versions of Windows as shown above, provides detailed information about Windows' management of these vulnerabilities:
    KVA (Meltdown Vulnerability) flags:
    ==================================
    0x01 KVA_SHADOW_ENABLED
    0x02 KVA_SHADOW_USER_GLOBAL
    0x04 KVA_SHADOW_PCID
    0x08 KVA_SHADOW_INVPCID
    Branch Prediction Speculation (Spectre) flags:
    ==================================
    0x01 BPB_ENABLED
    0x02 BPB_DISABLED_SYSTEM_POLICY
    0x04 BPB_DISABLED_NO_HW_SUPPORT
    0x08 SPEC_CTRL_ENUMERATED
    0x10 PRED_CMD_ENUMERATED
    0x20 IBRS_PRESENT
    0x40 STIBP_PRESENT
    0x80 SMEP_PRESENT
    The presence of the relatively recent PCID and INVPCID support allows Windows (when it chooses to take advantage of this) to protect against the Meltdown vulnerability without significant system performance impact.
    AMD processors do not require, do not offer, and do not need the PCID and INVPCID support since they are inherently invulnerable to Meltdown attack.
    "CPU microcode updated" indicates that this system is using recently updated Intel or AMD microcode which provides the control over branch prediction speculation required to allow an aware operating system to protect the system from the Spectre vulnerabilities.
    This application will run under WINE and can therefore be used on non-Windows systems. Although its operating system data may not be meaningful under WINE, its display of the underlying processor capabilities will be accurate.

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    @x58haze

Ryzen is not vulnerable to Meltdown, only Spectre. The Meltdown Windows security patches are not active on Ryzen, so there's nothing to disable as they are already disabled. The InSpectre log you posted even says so. You should probably read it :p

13. x58haze

x58haze Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    The thing is by default ryzen has the meltdown disable?
    Cause i dont want meltdown on

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Yes.

15. nick0323

nick0323 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Disabled mitigations on my Surface Pro 4 Core M3 as it's been running like garbage. Even though this utility says the performance is good it just isn't! Runs so much better now with protection disabled, icons in the tray appear instantaneously.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am sure almost all mobile devices like laptops and tablet suffer greatly from these "fixes" how much peformance you really get from device that is probably less then 25 watts compared to desktop? I know my surface 3 is suddenly slower and it has all this stuff, but seeing I dont use only my parents i dont really care, I rather that stuff be enabled in there case

nick0323 likes this.
  17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Haven't noticed anything out of ordinary on my M3 (TabPro S)

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I did the same thing with my X58 emulation rig with a xeon x5675 as precaution because what I do with that machine I need as much performance as I can get.

It depends on what generation of the mobile chip you are working with. Because My MSI gaming Laptop has a Kaby lake mobile chip in it I haven't noticed any performance degrades.

nick0323 likes this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Gaming laptops a aside.

Most mobile chips in most mobile devices Tablets/Phone and the 400$ laptop most people have are not in the same league. I have the new iPad (2018) and while solo reason I got it was just so i can play FFBE on it and not my iPhone, If find browsing the web on still much slower then my old PC Then again I find browsing the web on my iphone 6 slow too, I would though at a min the 2018 iPad would been faster browsing the web then the iPhone but just as slow.

On other had the 2018 iPad can play FFBE compared to the 2nd Gen iPad I had that while it could run FFBE it ran crazy slow, so there was improvments

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very true that gaming laptops and even most business grade laptops are not in the same league as Tablets/Phones. Yeah I have the same problem with my old hand me down Smartphone if I let the battery go dead and then I charge it up again and turn the phone back on it takes forever to boot up.