Download & Discuss Geforce Driver 361.43 WHQL

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by alanm, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Sorry to quote myself but it makes sense to repeat what I've said here so others can see it in case, they too, are experiencing the same issue.

Well, it seems that reverting back to the v359.06 driver DID fix the BSOD issue with Legend of Eisenwald and Pillars of Eternity BUT while I was navigating the NVIDIA control panel I experienced another BSOD, the same error as above: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (nvlddmkm.sys)

Not really sure what is going on here to be honest as I have never ever experienced a BSOD before while using the NVIDIA control panel or, indeed, while loading up a game!!! :3eyes:

Could my graphics card be damaged? When I Google-d the error, I found similar threads regarding this error and the general consensus seems to be that it is a software error related to nvlddmkm.sys and fixable by updating to a newer driver. Somewhat ironic considering that THIS is the latest driver. :(

Now I do have a new Dell monitor and the only thing that I have installed since I got it last Saturday is the Dell Display Manager tool, a program that allows operating system control of my display such as brightness, contrast, screen saver, etc. I'm wondering if it is this program that might be causing a conflict with the display driver as I would guess that it is integrated into Windows at a low-level in order to be able to do the things it does.

Thinking about it, I did notice a lot of errors in the Event log relating to nvlddmkm.sys when I was playing around with the DDM tool's option to turn the screen off when the Windows screensaver kicks in. It could be a coincidence though. Logically, this has to a software issue because the issue is not random but can be triggered by loading specific games or using going to a certain section of the NVIDIA control panel.

Wish me luck! :D

P.S. My issue may appear to be an isolated one simply because I am one of the few people to own that Dell monitor, a display that is primarily aimed at professional users not gamers.

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I am curious... what error did you get when the game BSODed? Do you own a Dell monitor and/or are using the Dell Display Manager software?

3. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    Did you ever do a fresh install of Windows Darren? You mentioned ages ago you did not want to when you were getting other errors.

I have Pillars of Eternity and it runs fine on this new driver. Don't have the other game though sadly.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  4. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    bsod nvlddmkm.sys can also happen in bad windows. Better check with dism commands.

I also dont have problems in any game, also not in BAK, etc.

5. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    Downclocking and temp loss in signal in rocket league were actually fixed for me, yay!

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I played BAK for about 6 hours on these drivers yesterday with no issues (Win10x64). Check you system.

You are getting the same performance in AotS right now, not less, and with the CPU load increasing there is a small advantage with DX12. These "thin" APIs are overrated in PC space. They will surely help AMD because their DX11 drivers are crap but for NV you should not expect much performance improvement.

You do understand that "low GPU usage" may be due to these games being limited by your CPU or some other thing beside GPU? Try running them with DSR 4x and check what the GPU usage will be there.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Did that...found the usual OpenCL error when running sfc /scannow but fixed it by running dism /source and then re-running sfc /scannow. This error reoccurs every time I install a new NVIDIA driver but remains fixed for as long I am using that version.

And, no, I have not done a reinstall of Windows 10 Pro, only upgrade installs (two). I cannot see how the BSOD can be related to the Windows install when prior to installing these new drivers I have not experienced a single BSOD in years (and I have been using Windows 10 since July). Yes, I have experienced TDR driver crashes but they have now gone, presumably fixed when I reinstalled the Intel chipset drivers (at least, that is my guess since I am using both Chrome and Steam with hardware acceleration re-enabled with no issues and have been doing for well over a week now).

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I got one bizzare system hard reset while watching flash player, it happend when I resized it back to windowed mode.

I raised vccin cpu input voltage from 1.78v to 1.79v and it didnt happen again. Old 358.91 didnt have such issue. Windows was in balanced power plan in that time..

It was like driver did some weird high power spike or something and it glitched the system. Although now Im also using ai suite 3 for fan controlling, but then again I had that installed with 358.91 too..

Imo its a bit funky driver.

9. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    dual 3090 FE SLI
    driver report

Driver report

the 361.43 driver continues the same theme of issues for me/my build and running at 4 GPU Sli and 4096x2160

OpenGL games seem to have common SLI issues, especially older titles.
    SLI disabled seems to resolve, however, in point, why cripple drivers?

353.62 was the last OpenGL driver with functional SLI.
    On new driver, severe stuttering occurs in many classics.

some new games that are not openGL such as the Unreal 4 engine games, do not really work well with SLI. However using 353.62 and Inspector I've been able (with considerable help from some very technically savvy members in this forum) to get many titles to work - but not with the 354.xx to 361.43 driver versions/

Also there is a performance hit in 4 GPU SLi from 354.xx to 361.43. This coincides with their driver base catering to windows 10.

so I'm reporting issues, performance drop and instability in:

Idtech 4 engines, and idtech4.5 engines -stuttering in 4GPU SLi
    Idtech 3 engines -stuttering in 4GPU SLi and issues when FXAA is used

Soma - crash on launch
    Fallout 4 - poor SLI scaling, better with 353.62 and custom inspector profile

on Glquake - no launch driver error reported
    Crysis engine scaling not bad on 353, abysmal on 361.43 in 4 GPU SLi

titles such as ethan carter U4, stuttering on high, not an issue on 353 with inspector custom profile

etc
    also custom profile for withcher 3 in 353.63 is fluid and fast, but in 361.43 the play is choppy and stuttering, lag

Overall, it seems a continual trend from post/after 353.62 to the latest 361.43

trend has been consistent on drivers catering to windows 10 from nvidia.

Affected titles in some form that is negative (at these settings: 4096x2160, full max eye candy, low fax variants, full tweaks i.e. POM, HBAo, physics, 16x AF, bloom, soft shadows, light maps etc etc)

Fallout4
    Soma
    Witcher 3
    Vanishing of ethan carter
    ID software titles from RTCW, Quake series, up to Wolfenstein 2009
    Doom3 and RoE with the HD mod
    Outlast
    Shadow warrior dx11

I have many other titles, and they do not seem as affected in SLI with this driver

Overall, it seems a continual trend from post/after 353.62 to the latest 361.43

trend has been consistent on drivers catering to windows 10 from nvidia

fresh install back to 353.62 for me.

my rig: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=403963

10. SturmButcher

SturmButcher Member

GPU:
    Zotac AMP GTX 1070
    Did you check what CPU I'm using? a God damn I7 4790k

11. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    majority user don't face any BSOD. c'mon u also didn't show any statement. everyone know BATMAN is a bad port pc game so nobody playing & since u knew it then y still whining? roll back older driver.. previously i got serious TDR issue but now pretty darn stable. please blame games not driver.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    There's nothing wrong with your hardware, i also had the same issue. It would BSOD everytime i opened up the nv control panel, corrupted files till i couldnt boot up lol.
    Did a restore, ddu > repaired windows using tweaker.com tool > reinstalled and seems to be ok for now.

I still get artifacts on the map combine in black ops 3, flickering/black dust clouds

13. rstalcup

rstalcup Active Member

GPU:
    2x GTX980Ti STRIX 6gb ea

Installed on my new system last night, no problems, played about 2 hours of fallout 4 in sli / maxed out settings no issues at all

14. LOVEandROCKETS

LOVEandROCKETS Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Bad Company 2 is one of my favorite games. HonoredShadow confirmed that the BC2 low GPU usage problem is solved – yes… that was the problem with BC2!

With that said and due to all of the above statements, I’ll keep with the "good old" 353.49 driver, best overall Kepler driver so far – at least for my system running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 EN 64 bits.

15. JulioCesarSF

JulioCesarSF Active Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 780 Ti
    SLI and Rainbow Six Siege?

I will install and report.

16. skunksmash

skunksmash Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5970 + GTX260
    didnt catch the actual fault.... but i am using a new Alienware 15
    (DELL) I7 6820 laptop... could be related.??

rolled back to 359.06.... all is well again!!

17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    So? Where does it say that it should max out your GPU in all games? The games you've listed are known to be CPU hungry and it's more than likely that you're CPU limited there. Try the DSR 4x. If the GPU usage will go up then you are CPU limited in these games and GPU drivers have nothing to do with this.

BAK is actually rather good if not great now after all the patches. It still doesn't support SLI but in every other respect it runs very well.

18. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 980Ti Gaming
    Just want to reiterate here, since I ditched my SLI 970 setup for a single 980ti ALL of my BSODs and game crashes have been resolved. No issues with these drivers yet. I won't be going back to an SLI setup for a very long time, or until it's clear the inherent issues with it have been resolved.

19. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    Im the same as you , so a small improvement but i would like to run my display at the 144hz instead of 120hz ,anyway i will keep it 120hz and at least the fans now stop on my top card as before with the high clocks the temp on the top card was always 59-60 so the fans was always sop start

20. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    SLI won't be supported on BAK. not impossible but it will cause a lot more side effect. i personally don't have money to go for any SLI. #poorpeople#

nowadays nobody wanna hired tester, so we're the tester for NVIDIA, AMD or even MICROSOFT etc. so even thou, stated WHQL doesn't mean stable.

TDR does exist on previous driver but not now. now NV is slowly back on track. i'm still not satisfied with GFE + NV control panel loading damn slow.