Download & Discuss - AMD Radeon Software Crimson Thread (Beta7 November 2015)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Havel, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Lumaan

Lumaan Member

GPU:
    Asus R9 290X 4GB OC
  2. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Hmmm, i got this message once i believe. However, that was with the leaked version if i remember correctly.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Idk, im seeing people are reporting same issue on AMD forums. Strange, driver is working fine but when i try to restart my PC cnext.exe crashes and just hangs there. Annoying indeed. Let me know if you end up fixing it somehow. :)

4. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    i had ONE cnext.exe crash and it was just a end task and then i started it back up (no reboot) and nothing was broken.

EDIT: oh everyone is saying this happens with every reboot... how about this, don't reboot, you have a desktop for a reason lol. i only reboot when i am forced too, otherwise maybe once a week unless i'm doing some motherboard setting changes.

5. rodrigoxm49

rodrigoxm49 Active Member

GPU:
    r9 380 4GB
    Really good interface, but as always nothing is perfect with AMD.

For now everytime I click on "Display", I get a crash: "Radeon Series: Host Application stopped from work".

So I have a useless drive. Thanks AMD!

ps.: Yeah, I know its beta, but I'm really upset with AMD software since first day i change my old 660 to 285 card.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    crashed once on me too, been fine since i reopend it.

7. rodrigoxm49

rodrigoxm49 Active Member

GPU:
    r9 380 4GB
    How you get their??? Radeon Additional Settings?

If I click on Display I have a crash here. But I'm wondering if it's possible get this screen in other way.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Same here, popped up when i hit restart.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    So, its happening to others as well. I reported issue to AMD. Hopefuly it will be fixed with next beta.

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah its an odd one.

11. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    It bears to mention though that I didn't get this error message upon restart with the leaked Beta driver. Only occurs with the official from AMD's website.

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Am I the only one who can't get the thing to install? It will either hang on 2% or 25%. I had to install each package manually from the extracted C:\AMD folder. These packages don't even show on the Programs & Features any longer.

13. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Is there a way to change the language?

It's gonna take some time to find around in..

Starts impressively fast.

14. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

Are you sure you downloaded right legacy package? I don't use Win10 anymore. The modified inf just lets you install the driver, is should have nothing to do with CCC/other software as long as you install everything manually. Maybe try to install the new control panel using install manager.

I had hope they will stop lying and stop blocking VSR on all cards. Let me remind you that VSR works fine for 5xxx and 6xxx series card using Omega drivers (14.12).

As 1000Hz mouse user I can definitely feel much faster mouse reaction. The driver has finally fixed mouse jumping issues I had in Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter. Weapons also switches immediately now.

Pause the game you are currently playing and start performing ridiculously fast and long mouse moves. FPS should be lower as long as you keep moving (at least it was on my crappy netbook).

Uninstaller crashed when ran from add/remove programs

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2015
  15. Mercennarius

Mercennarius Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Tri-X R9 390X
    So spent about an hour with Crimson and these were my initial impressions:

Valley benchmark scores about 3% higher on average vs. the most recent beta drivers.
    Seems to have changed some sort of lighting/HDR effect for me as Valley shows brighter and darker areas now. New control panel loads quick and has a clean look. Games seemed to load a little quicker than before. Overall, thus far, i'm happy with the update.

This is with my 8GB 290X on a Xeon setup.

16. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    W3's nVidia hair sampling works really well for me--just set your Max Tessellation to 32x or lower (the lower you set it the better your frame-rates will be depending on gpu & cpu, etc.) Basically, I can't see any in-game difference between 32x Tessellation and 64x +...

Works that way because some nVidia GPUs are overbalanced and tessellate ordinary objects far more than is necessary to see an improvement in the appearance of the rendered object that is due strictly to tessellation. IE, in nVidia hairworks the game tessellates the hair far more than is necessary for the visual effect generated--because nVidia GPUs (Maxwell, et al) tessellate more/faster than AMD architectures. But as I say, the extra tessellation power in hardware, over and above what AMD can do in its hardware, doesn't do anything at all for the rendered appearance of the tessellated object--and so it isn't needed (hence: overbalanced.) That's why you can attain performance and IQ parity when using the Hair thing in W3 with a comparable AMD GPU--because limiting the tessellation doesn't affect the image quality of the rendered hair in the game (unless you were to limit it too much--so that you could see a difference...;)).

Basically, the only "useful" forum for more-powerful-than-needed tessellation is a tessellation benchmark which measures tessellation speed. nVidia is very big on benchmarks, imo, that spit out numbers without necessarily a correlation to in-game 3d performance or, in the case of tessellation, without any benefit to image quality of the tessellated object. Basically, a tessellated object looks better than a non-tessellated object up to a limit of tessellation--a limit which when exceeded adds nothing further to the image quality of the tessellated object.

I like the Crimson package--interface opens in ~1 second for me, and is very intuitive. It easily replaces the CCC and is a positive development, imo. It installed right over the 15.11.1b without a problem.

AFAIK, these are the same drivers as 15.11.1, or else so close as to not make much of a difference. I think that everyone who actually enjoys 3d gaming more than just casually should be running a CGN card of some flavor. (Unless you go with green, of course...;))The IQ and performance differences are very real, imo, and the cost of the R9 380(x) 4G cards is right on the sweet spot for value & performance and API feature support. I don't think hanging on to a pre-GCN card makes any sense, really--sort of like squeezing blood out of turnip--and that's no fun...;) These cards have never been cheaper and they've never been better, so there's just no reason to stay with something older and more primitive that is lacking current and future API support.

17. d2kx

d2kx Active Member

You need to manually uninstall the old CCC (open C:\AMD\WU-CCC2\ccc2_install\Core-Static-Net4\ccc-core-static.msi and uninstall)

then install the new CNext and CCCSlim from C:\AMD\<Crimson 15.11 Legacy>\Packages\Apps\CN

The AMD Install Manager doesn't work at all in this case. Runs fine w/ AMD E-350 APU/HD 6310.

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I still have installation problems. The AMD Install Manager always gets to a "Not responding" stage.

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just restarted 3x more times, and all fine, no pop up.

20. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @RexOmnipotentus, OMG :D Dude...I already created downsampled resolution right now...my monitor can't support straight 2720x1530...it goes OUT OF "F" RANGE :D

BUT with Custom "F" Rresolution with NVIDIA or AMD I CAN do that...and guesss what...its working. Yeah...it is. Like it was always working. Like we all doing it before DSR/VSR...but manually.

My pixels and timings are set FOR 1080p...but IT RENDERS at 2720x1530...and DOWNSAMPLED to 1080P...this is how this sh*t works...for years.
    Let me show you an example (I guess you are not a "reader" type person):

[​IMG]

- GREEN is my timings, pixel clocks, etc. They are at DEFAULT native 1920X1080@60Hz
    - RED is created custom resolution (rendered) and refresh rate | 2720X1530@60Hz

SO. Now i'm using rendered 2720X1530 which is downsampled to my native 1920X1080...easy, right? :D

This is how I'm using resolution which are greater than my monitor can support. With ANY Nvidia card I can go even to 4096X2304. With 280x/ 7850(my other gpu) I can go only to 2720X1530. And ofc...4k or my current 1530p - ALL downsampled to 1080p.

Read my lips:

- My monitor can't support "straight" 2720X1530 It will go OUT OF RANGE
    - But downsampled to 1080p, 2720X1530 resolution WORKS
    - I pull out my 280x and putt back my OLD GTX760
    - My monitor can't support "straight" 2720X1530 It will go OUT OF RANGE
    - But within Nvida drivers I can create custom resolutions up to 4k and it's all working gooood - NO DSR...CUSTOM RESOLUTION...which is the same btw.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

...do you get me now? Any other youngling? :D