Download & Discuss AMD Catalyst 15.3 Beta Driver for Windows OS

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by AMDMatt, Mar 20, 2015.

1. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    use bitdefender if you need a free AV, its way better than anything else out there.

2. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Yep, bitdefender is a way better freeware solution.

I use Eset Smart Security (formely know as NOD32) for me is the best paid security suite for windows.

3. TorrentG2

TorrentG2 Banned

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2 GB OC
    Yup, Avast is on the notorious list. If and when I would have saw it in crash dumps, I would have said step one to rid it. Good job.

For the record, MSE (Defender) is the ONLY security software that does not crash systems (environment is what counts - MSE doesn't care ever.) So, if ever in doubt, COMPLETELY UNINSTALL (no just disable) a/v software and replace with MSE until testing is complete. Or leave it perm.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Avast are good though at support and resolving any issues people have, through their forum, at least from what I've found. Each free Antivirus have their caveats though, and I probably have gone with Avast because of annoyances with the others I've tried. I haven't tried AVG recently, mainly because years ago the free version wasn't as good as people thought. The antivirus comparisons were useless because the paid for version was using a newer engine, the free version using the old paid engine. At least, that's what appeared to be the case.

Avira free is supposedly reasonable, apart from the age of the interface and the annoying popups. Bitdefender never really had a free version until fairly recently, and it didn't work for me. Probably the worst thing that can happen for a new user is to have a bad experience, as it puts you off.

Bitdefender on average though has always been decent in effectiveness, even with the cyclical nature of where Antiviruses are with how good they are. Saying antivirus A is better than antivirus B based on information even 6 months old can be misleading, especially if a new version or build has come out.

BTW, DDR3-1066 with an i7-4790?

5. stitch

stitch Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    It's actually DDR3-1600, no idea why I wrote 1066. :nerd:

Well I'm using MSE/Defender now, that's actually good enough for me.
    Almost thought my System was broken and I couldn't play GTA V in a few weeks. If it doesn't get delayed again.

6. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    lost of things slip through MSE, its usually at the bottom of the list for effectiveness (but top for compatibility/speed), but as long as you are careful it shouldnt be an issue.

I mentioned bitdefender because MaximumPC gave it their fave in their latest roundup

7. T4C Fantasy

T4C Fantasy New Member

GPU:
    R9 290X Lightning
    how come you guys don't match up device ids to gpu names specifically? I find it annoying that everything is R7 200 Series, R9 200 Series....

8. BugMeister

BugMeister Member Guru

GPU:
    2x RX480 NITRO+OC(8G)
    [​IMG]

- can someone confirm these specs, they are from a recent download..
    - they appear to differ from those shown earlier in this thread.. :confused:

9. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56
    2 TDR´S when I watched youtube videos with Google Chrome 41.

2 crash with AC Unity (Freeze and lockups) I have to restart my PC.

Back to Omega Driver.

10. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    This is correct.

I think what you saw was the pre-release driver that was used for FreeSync showcase.

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I find that common sense along with MSE and Malwarebytes for file scans (not running in the background), is the best combo for me.

Did you clean install? The D3D driver in this one is the same as the Omega's.

12. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Agreed, i do as well, but not everyone likes to be that risky...

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Is it that risky? With a browser with Ghostery & ***956;block and https-everywhere I belive I'm reasonably covered.

On the other hand, if it was my mother's PC I would probably have the monitoring version of Malware Bytes on.

14. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Everybody doesnt do that.

My point was for the "average" person, MSE isnt enough.

15. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    Not that risky tbh. I've had two years with w8.1 with only defender. I installed malwarebytes and some other antivirus software iirc bit defender and checked the machine nothing and removed them o_O

Tho I guess we tend to build safer habits for surfing at certain point of time vs average joe.

16. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I usually roll without AV, Defender, and UAC on Windows. At the very least; I have StevenBlack's HOSTS file, uBlock (Chrome), and Windows Firewall protecting me, along with common-sense :p

On Linux, I just roll with whatever comes with the distro. Usually it's a firewall, and either AppArmor or SELinux.

17. Plug2k

Plug2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    Male-ware bytes home premium & ESET Smart Security.

I roll with that combo for meny years no issues at all :)

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I thought I'd give Bitdefender a go... instant crash with NTFS.sys. Apparently it doesn't support Windows 10 TP, at least build 10041. Avast 2015 SP1 does :).

The crash occurred, twice, during the optional initial setup scan. Hey, if it crashes then, there's no point skipping that and having it cause a BSOD on boot. I'm actually a bit surprised they haven't provided at least beta support in it.

19. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio X 2080ti
    gotta be honest mse is fine for me as I never download games or cracks seeing how pc gaming is cheap enough via steam as long as you don't want the latest games. These 15.3s have the same crossfire problems in Alan Wake as the old omegas though. Checkerboard rendering and flashing and weird corruptions. No other game affected and its the same on the 295x2 as it is on 7970s.

Also where's the Assetto Corsa profile? I'm running 1 core and the second is at 300mhz using that. Terrible!

20. TorrentG2

TorrentG2 Banned

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2 GB OC
    Post crash dumps if you want to fix the system perfectly.