Download CES 2020: Game Ready Driver

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 6, 2020.

1. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Is anyone bothered that these GeForce driver downloads have ballooned to over half a gig now? I mean, 540MB for a compressed graphics driver? Once it extracts it is 1.30GB in all. It's not the size or the time to download, it downloads in less than a minute and my storage is more than capable; it just seems like the code must be a funking mess.

fry178 likes this.
  2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^Does that include the GForce exp package or is that just the driver size alone?

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, nobody is bothered that supporting code for drivers just like the windows os itself has scaled with drive capacity exploding.

unless of course you have no lawn to sit on and shout at kids from.

4. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    I didn't know Windows was the standard bearer for programming excellence. I just think they might benefit from some re-writes. Patches for patches for patches exploding to 1.3GB seems like novice programming.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The last time hardware supporting code was removed from the source in its entirey, the driver didn't drop more than 5MB.

As a rule, you don't rewrite kernel drivers.
    You go over code, add more, make changes where necessary to address edge cases and potential exploit vectors.

6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    It's proven here on BlurBusters website (also read the other pages of that article for very useful / interesting stuff considering all things about optimising your G-synce experience):
    https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/11/

I was asking the forum here questions about how the framerate cap functioned, because I figured someone here might have researched or read somewhere how it functioned and if it was as good or better than RTSS frame rate limiting in terms of input lag (& frametime variance too now that I think of it). Think of it as spreading information, which is kinda the point of everything we do here right!

My google research on the subject of the previous paragraph hasn't come up with any definitive answers, I'm waiting for competent tech reviewers to thoroughly review this new framerate capping feature for both input lag and frametime consistency. Once review websites have had a chance to test this new feature, I'm expecting people like this guy to publish their findings:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/xFPxAUTh0r1ty/featured. I also hope they do some testing over on BlurBusters website as well.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020