Download and Discussion - AMD Radeon Crimson 16.8.1 Drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vase, Aug 8, 2016.

1. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
    WattMan still crashes randomly with this.

2. spyre

spyre Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6990 and 6970 TF
    Yeah that is being looked into too as a priority.

3. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Btw, right after installing in an HD7870 before reboot, I get a message saying there was a problem with wattman setting, so they went back to defaults.

4. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    ^You can safely ignore the message as Wattman isn't applicable on older cards.

5. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Yes of course, just reporting the weird message. Thanks :)

6. Martin.v.r

Martin.v.r Active Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 1200/1500
    nice driver here win 7 64bit U..

7. Flano

Flano Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 FURY X 4GB HBM
    Thanks so much for this info!!! I've been doing my nut in trying to discover what went wrong.... I had freesync perfect then it went to **** !! thanks.

8. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    CONSTANT crashes at end of matches in Overwatch with this driver.
    Rolled back to 16.7.3 and all is good.

9. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    I'm done.

I hope they fix this within a few days. This was a REALLY frustrating issue to troubleshoot that ultimately prevented me from going full UEFI without CSM on a new image of W10 1607. Now I have to wait to do a reinstall AGAIN once a proper driver is released since the system has been rendered COMPLETELY unbootable even with safemode! :bang:

To make matters more annoying, the 280X I was using needed some bios modding to get the UEFI portion to work, but it still only works with CSM on my MB. ??? Worse still it throttles if set at the boost clock of 1100/1500. I have to set it to anything but 1100 on the core to prevent it from clocking down to 1000MHz by 65c. But if I do it's not stable with anywhere between 1183mv to 1300mv. Then, there's still the fact that I've got the sh'it Elpida memory giving the -9% perf hit because of bad timings. Current drivers also won't let me OC my Korean panel without CRU or if I even touch overdrive (if I do it's fuc'ked and a DDU and reinstall is needed to stop major down clocking issues - I did forget to apply clockblocker though).

But why go through all this??? I'm only getting 33-50% GPU usage with the G3258 at 4.3GHz on this rig.

Fuc'k it. I'm selling it and getting a 970. Pre 400 series AMD can kiss my ass! :thumbdown I've spent far too much time on this card. Swapping out thermal pads for copper shims, putting higher power 970 G1 fans on it (damn though! 3500rpms, this thing could fly if it weren't screwed down!) I even remounted it a few times with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaught until I got it just right and hit the lowest temps. And yet, it's still unstable at 1100/1500 and throttles despite my best efforts in software.

IMO AMD and their drivers still need a year to catch up to or overtake Nvidia. If they can launch their products on time and keep them in stock at competitive, reasonable prices then I have no problem with buying an AMD card again. Just as long as it's new AMD. Not OLD AMD.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  10. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Upgrade worked fine this time for me unlike previous drivers, in fact it said I needed to reboot but I didn't and The Division still worked fine! Rebooted now though as there were a bunch of MS updates :)

11. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Massive stuttering with 16.8.1s in Rise of Tomb Raider in Win7, but game/oc profiles are saved and working ok now, witch were messed up in 16.7.3, so +/- situation. :(

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If you're gaming with a Radeon, Windows 10 is the way to go.

13. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Ever tried maxing out the power tune? And sounds like you messed around too much without knowing what you are doing.

14. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    SAME HERE, not only crashed Overwatch it also failed uninstalling making full screen artefacts at boot, I had to recover my OS.

JOKE DRIVER from AMD for the first time :banana:

15. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Yes I tried that too. I do know what I'm doing, I spent a lot of time with this card and read a TON about it. I will double check, maybe I missed a step or something. Still it's so irritating how you have to do 1000000 things to prevent these cards from throttling. :bang:

16. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Curious as to what brand of 280X you have?

17. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    No problems until now on my 380.. (16.8.1) & w10 AU update.

Update through crimson.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I was getting horrible performance with these in Warframe.. I went back to 16.7.3 whql and Warframe is all smooth again..

19. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    Weird, afaik I was running Warframe fine after install of 16.8.1, will update WF and check now.

EDIT: Using max settings except motion blur and AA set to SMAA (temporal and temp + smaa look too blurry for me but they don't drop fps):

All tilesets I tested were capped at 120 fps (in driver) when there's little or no combat, I didn't drop under 60fps once. GPU usage was 50-90% throughout testing.

Ice tileset = 110fps light combat, 90fps with ~50 enemies and lots of spell fx.

Earth tileset = capped at 120fps without drops whole time

Indoor OLD tileset = 100 fps light combat, 75 fps heavy combat with drops to high 60s.

Indoor NEW tileset = 120 fps light combat, 110 fps heavy combat with drops to 90s

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  20. emsir

emsir Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Upgrade install here. No issues at all.