Download: AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.8.3 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 27, 2020.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Here in this section we can (should) post problems we find in drivers/suite.
    I have also some minor problems:
    Do not use YT & game in the same time ;) (Yup decoding gets artifacts, FF, Opera & Edge)
    But You can smoothly use Radeon Settings in-web browser and everything is fine.

So there is a workaround :cool:

Note:
    There is also infernal performance in OGL & Older DX9/DX11 games -> not fixed in many, many years o_O (And i like my Old games).
    This is also the factor im into RTX3080 this time around (Waitnig for BigNavi to know for sure)....
    I have in my Uplay library AC Syndicate to finish (Ultra on Vega is a strong no-go :confused:) but AC Unity is fine BTW.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  2. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Older DX9 Games often get Slowdown Problems as the Card falls asleep (for example Apache Air Assault). But I'am with you. I probably go green with a RTX3 080 as well. But I don't care about BigNavi. There have been too many Gremlins, sorry.

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yup, we need the old good ATI back -> Good, stable, affordable & competitive.

4. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    It has been said that Lisa Su clean house with the marketing department. She needs to clean house with this driver department. And start fresh. Because some of these omissions and errors in the drivers come off, as a consumer, as pure unadulterated sabotage.

Just a little bit over here, little bit over there. Just enough to sour the milk sort of speak.

The biggest indicator of this is the whimsical removal of promoted, working features with no tangible, recognizable replacements. And no communication they were removed requiring you to have a sharp memory to recall.

It's like they intend to run off AMD's customers. In the same manner that was alleged of the marketing team leaking info about unreleased products.

OnnA and GSDragoon like this.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Let's go over your complaints:

1) Lack of Video Modes/Options for RDNA cards in Radeon Settings.

Not the end of the world. Just use a renderer that has all those options, like madVR, for example.

2) System stability while gaming

ASUS just put out a video explaining why systems still have black screens and resets. It's because PSU's aren't able to deliver power fast enough for transient peaks. (BTW, this justifies @JonasBeckman and his position on this) Quite simply, even ample PSU's performance will degrade with time, and will not deliver in time what is required for operation. Ergo system instability. Anyone who still has these issues has a potato for a PSU.

ASUS went ahead and now equips PSU's with LED indicators that monitor power draw, and if the situation arises, it will flash RED to indicate a power draw issue. This way you don't need to guess why your card is b0rking, and blame the drivers.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The one thing I learned more recently on top of the higher transient overall peak power consumption and measurements both on wattage and the ampere reported was also that power supplies can have issues with the way that GPU's fluctuate quickly between states of idle load and next to no power consumption and then how it spikes up to full load or these highest transient momentary tops.

I did learn that older PSU's in addition to the overall degradation also had issues around the way that components could draw near zero power but the power supply hardware from after 2014 should be capable of handling this though quality is probably still varied in how well this works.

The fluctuations though and power rippling I believe is part of it was very interesting though my main issue in terms of OS stability was the desktop idle black screen shutdown and reboot which since 20.2.2 hasn't been a issue since and only one black screen temporary but recoverable GPU driver crash in one of the 20.5 drivers I believe it was.

Cables are also a thing there's different tolerances between what a 8 pin and a 6 pin can deliver even with I presume mostly marketing around caps in the cables themselves to handle a bit extra plus what stood out over and over from AMD's Reddit sources.

1x 8-pin to 2x 6-pin double cable connectors or how's it called daisy chaining I think it was, 6+2 8-pin where the full 8 are a whole cable but the 2's at the end are loose sometimes clip-on is one thing but single cable with the power draw and fluctuations I can see being a stability concern and yeah once resolved it's fixed several of the black screen hardware related reports.

Sometimes also mixed with PCI Express link state power saving for reasons I'm not entirely sure of (PCI Express compatibility in some bios updates particularly AMD ones? Both PCI4 and PCI3 hardware too so not just a PCI-E 4 issue.)
    And separate but similar in how it works the shutdown due to borderline RAM instability pushing the hardware just beyond that threshold due to XMP issues and memory training and motherboard compatibility sometimes being a bit aggressive for performance.

While they have a nice big list of supported RAM it seems Gigabyte is tweaking stuff here almost with every bios update, I've been lucky so far here but it seems very varied from one update to another unless the user dials in the values manually maybe with a bit extra voltage for the dies that can handle it though voltage reported and voltage actually used can also vary so that's something to observe too.

EDIT:
    In the future I assume the new 12-pin PCI cable will be a method to make sure there's no problem with power delivery even for GPU's that maybe won't draw close to the full 600W supported but that's not going to happen soon and might be utilized in various ways until more PSU hardware has this connector by default.
    (8-pins on the PSU side and a 12-pin into the GPU.)

If GPU's would ever hit that sort of demand I guess, NVIDIA 8nm here and still 300 - 350W and then AMD well we'll see.
    (It's up a bit from the reference 2080's - 2080Ti's but the hardware is up by quite a bit in turn on the 3080 and even the 3090 Not-A-Titan ha ha.)

EDIT:
    For AMD the upcoming GPU core is a further refinement of the 7nm node wasn't it though this new GPU also carries more hardware than the "mid-range" Navi10 did even though it scaled really well to hit the high-end Vega56 and Vega64 performance segment so perhaps something similar too but that's pure speculation until something concrete is available on this.

And then here's the undervolt which is also just speculative for now but with former result being stuff like reducing voltage on the GPU core by like 100mv or even more and the power draw wattage could be reduced by almost half (Or more.) and then the resulting performance drop was still less than 5% if even that much, well I wouldn't be surprised if AMD pushes the default values here once more for maximum gains. :D
    (Not like it's a problem since it's within parameters and all that but it looks a bit funny when you can get a reduction like that on power draw and voltage usage but a minimal performance reduction.)

Remains to be seen though, improvements on how the GPU boosts could be one way this might change even with the extra hardware.

It's all speculative until some actual confirmed info but it's getting closer as more details emerge or are leaked or announced far as the upcoming Navi20 / Big Navi cards are concerned.

EDIT:
    Well there's like a week until reviews for the NVIDIA 3000 series comes out maybe also about a week until the new driver branch here including support for these.

Hopefully also a week or so for the 20.9.1 drivers, I like upgrading. :D
    I like good lengthy release notes too and seeing all the known issues steadily shrink down but eh fixes are fixes at least stuff is happening. It could be better but things have improved.
    (I can admit to that by this point, won't quite forget the time it took though and some remaining issue but well it's hopefully going to continue improving.)

Jackalito and Undying like this.
  7. ms178

ms178 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    AMD re-released Adrenalin 20.8.3 yesterday - I can't wait for 20.9.1. :)

OnnA and HD64G like this.
  8. zheega

zheega Active Member

GPU:
    RX6800XT
    It just got WHQL. Great, since some games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey take longer to start if you have a beta driver, probably because of Denuvo protection.

HD64G likes this.
  9. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Great, 20.9.1 it is then...

Lets see if they correct/fix the profile for MW2019. Which is one of the most popular AAA games out right now. And a response to the "feedback" given to them about some of these bugs/missing features.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm both the prior AMD Log service and the new AMD Fendr ("Defender") service are included in this for some reason.

Probably just a packaging issue but it's a thing.

EDIT: AMD Audio CoProcessor Bus Driver got a version bump too.
    2.81.0.48 -> 2.89.0.61

amdacpbus.INF

EDIT: Ah there's a release note text file.

That's a few versions since 2.81.0.48 yes, heh.

EDIT: Though I don't know what systems install what components, from a quick check the only additional GPU component I have is AtihdWT6.inf or the HDMI audio driver.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Krteq and HD64G like this.

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    At last WHQL (2 months of wait pays off) :p

Installed -> everything is Fine

1. Yes they fixed watching YT when Gaming in FF :)

Note:

Overdrive Tool & PP States working OK
    HBM Tweak is also fine.
    AMD-Catalyst-15.11.1Beta-Nov14 -> Gamma settings working OK

Note n.2
    IMhO this driver is fastest to date, not tested 3Dmark yet (Gaming so far).
    Need to test UE3/4 Game to be sure that they invested some into it.
    2. HoMM VII runs a little better (UE3 Game from 2015) but there are still some GFX bugs here & there.

Side Note:
    I can easily say that im content/happy with ATI drivers at ~90% (9/10)
    Im talking about: HD58xx, HD7970GHz, Fury and now Vega XTX :D

The remaining -10% is for infernal OGL/DX9/11 :oops:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    Jackalito, DanielRX, HD64G and 3 others like this.
  12. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    According to AMD it's not WHQL and labeled as optional.

LocoDiceGR and Undying like this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    all drivers are whql now

14. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Can confirm.
    They are WHQL.
    [​IMG]

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Why your diag sais wddm 2.6 it should be 2.7?

16. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Sigh..it would be nice if they properly communicated this kind of stuff...

17. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Well, ****. Time to rebuild cache for HZD and DBH, they are both together around an hour. :confused:

18. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Do you have a link for the video?

19. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I am on 1909 still.
    No WDDM 2.7 here.

DanielRX and HD64G like this.