Download: AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.8.3 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 27, 2020.

1. qwertydrive

qwertydrive Member

GPU:
    Sapphire rx 480 nitro
    CPU overhead issues with dx11 and OpenGL, no WDDM 2.7 support no GPU scheduling yet.

Not huge issues but still annoying

2. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    no 2.7? what i have 27 since 20.5.1 on same gpu. cpu overhead well yeeaah they didnt even try to fix this in 5+ years. scheduling? just wait for adrenalin 2021 edition

3. Michael Lange

Michael Lange Member

GPU:
    Navi
    What are you talking about?

CPU overhead???
    The driver is WDDM2.7!
    What do you expect from HAGS?

4. zheega

zheega Active Member

GPU:
    RX6800XT
    We already had this discussion in the 20.8.2. section;

"With only two cards and two games, I can't draw a hard conclusion across the board but we can see a tale of two different expectations. High-end enthusiast cards with plenty of VRAM to go around seem to not be impacted at this point, that could easily change over time as this is still a very new feature. BUT, if you're a bit more down the rung and your card has less VRAM or is in the entry to mid-range when we see the GTX 1650 SUPER gain 7-8% performance in Gears Tactics and 8-9% in Forza Horizon 4 there's no denying that this update gives graphics card users in that range a welcome push upwards in performance."

https://wccftech.com/hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling-performance-with-turing/

Users were also reporting better frame-time consistency on cards with plenty VRAM, where average FPS didn't change.

https://i.redd.it/ke7phmp3s9851.png

HAGS should also help in (very uncommon) situations where the game is CPU-limited.

5. Jouven

Jouven Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro OC
    You better lose any hope of AMD fixing anything OpenGL, it has been like this since the 17.x-18.x? drivers, IIRC 16.x were doing fine but at some point it went out the window, I don't know how intel performs on OpenGL but nvidia hardware does fine, AMD should have at least made a vulkan-opengl wrapper, like the Glide wrappers, but alas... maybe some third-party will do it in the future

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I assure you, most of the posts there are not even issues in the driver.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah those myths about amd awful drivers and nvidia downgrading older gen gpus will never go away. Both true you know or is it...

8. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    If you don't like my user name, you can always hit ignore button. It's not like it will change my opinion on AMD driver in any way.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    they had issues for 6 months which appear finally fixed (and the remaining issues are likely faulty Zen 2 io chips)
    its hard to discard a bad driver reputation for the long durations that issues were occuring for after navi launch so i do hope NAVI2 is painless, that'll redeem them for those who were waiting specifically for high end cards.

They will never of course compete with nvidia for OpenGL and DX11 unfortunately and that's just how it is, its a trade off you make for wanting the cards that adhere as correctly to DX12's spec as can be, whether or not that makes the drivers bad is a matter of perspective, for me, yes it puts me off ever wanting a Radeon card (among other reasons i stick with nvidia listed previously)

Atleast theres DXVK for testing DX11 titles with now :D

HD64G, Undying and MerolaC like this.
  10. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Nvidia do indeed nerf older gen cards .. there I said it, do not hate on me xD

Chastity likes this.

11. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Hell yeah!
    That thing is like magic.

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Todays drivers and the ones back in the days is an Night-Day in comparison.
    Now we can easily play UE3/4 games....
    in 20.8.3 they optimise this further on UE4.

If You want, check this out -> install 19.5.1 & 20.5.1 (Test Vampyr UE3) or other problematic game. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    HD64G likes this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    We already knew that. Ask Kepler and Maxwell users how they doing these days.

Pascal and Turing next. :p

Passus likes this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yeah, there is no evidence of this at all.

Neglect and no optimizations yes - but there isn't any intentional negative performance and nobody has been able to prove it with benchmarks.

The last person that tried to make the claim was forced to retract it because his testing was impaired by the initial spectre patches.

https://ithardware.pl/testyirecenzj...szych_kart_graficznych_odc_3_kepler-8591.html
    https://ithardware.pl/testyirecenzj...h_kart_graficznych_odc_2_maxwell_v2-7927.html
    https://ithardware.pl/testyirecenzj...szych_kart_graficznych_odc_1_pascal-7747.html

If anything, performance has been up.....
    https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-353-62-vs-376-33-vs-398-36-vs-411-70.248256/

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Neglecting and no performance optimization for older cards are not a secret for nvidia. We all know they are focusing on newer cards but thats something one can talk about. Users should know this when they are buying their products. Amd is optimizing all range of cards for the newer titles therefore the expression finewine. I remember initial 2080 review where 1080ti was similar performance not anymore.

16. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    The same can be said about AMD. At launch polaris/vega/vii and rdna1 based navi from low to mid tier were so close. Now rdna1 from 5500 non-xt to 5700xt destroy hands down for fun all non rdna1 cards from gcn, polaris to vega. All companies optimize the latest hardware. It is a golden rule.

17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    This would mean RDNA1 had the potential in the hardware to outperform Polaris, and they managed to bring that performance up to the surface with development and optimizing.

PrEzi likes this.
  18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Vega had it's issues with gaming performance so that's not surprising even if it removed several bottlenecks and built on Polaris (Like how the 580 eventually almost matched or exceeded the earlier Fury GPU model in benchmarks.) Wave64 plus every 4 clock cycles and here's Navi10 with Wave32 instead and every 1 clock cycle.

Done well and taken to it's full capacity Vega is really good but that required I think a fully populated wave and how this worked and a thread count of 512 instead of 128 here plus other gains that RDNA has over GCN and gaming performance improvements and less of a front load on the hardware level where it's good at shaders and compute calculations but rasterization performance and such can still be problematic thus even with less cores and how these are set up for Navi10 just does really well from the get-go matching up to almost Radeon VII levels at times.

Although the newer drives have seemingly focused less on Vega and earlier and performance might even have decreased and on models like Polaris it sounds like it's similar so some users even go back to prior drivers and there's also something with API's like Vulkan showing a performance decrease from what I can find and reading up on things since Adrenaline 2020 here and particularly the 20.2.2 and 20.4.2 drivers that helped stabilize much of the launch issues the 5700's / Navi10's had.

EDIT: Ongoing tweaks and driver optimizations and improvements as well. Fixing GPU scaling and clock speed fluctuations and such too for other gains here. :)
    (Some titles still behave a bit inconsistently but it's improved.)

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    No, Jonas
    Vega is still a thing for ATI driver Team -> look at APUs
    Besides i have now 29k+ in 3Dmark !
    28.285 Valid score with the same clocks (Tess at default) it means on 20.5.1 & Win 2004 Vega gain big this time (Last Valid was ~27.5k :rolleyes: that's almost 1k uplift)

Do not underestimate Vega.... Now im waiting for Big Navi.

20. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    TL;DR

Worth an update from 20.5.1 on a Vega 64?