Download: AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.8.3 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 27, 2020.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    My take on it is that it improves DXVK behavior and performance plus compatibility, they still don't support all the latest extensions but these are good.
    Also still using the 1.2.135 runtime but since these are backwards compatible installing the latest 1.2.148.1 is easy enough. https://vulkan.lunarg.com/sdk/home

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases

I use this in almost everything especially D3D9 as it makes performance more in-line with what it should be although overall it just usually works though not everything is a big performance gain but it's there though Windows compatibility is secondary to DXVK's main usage as a wrapper for D3D9-11 (12 soon enough maybe?) under Linux working through Wine and also Proton I believe the effort Valve is doing also tied to Steam. :)
    (Things are happening there, looking really good but there's always going to be some compatibility cases that either won't work or needs special effort to resolve.)

Good boost in Fortnite and D3D12 sadly I doubt it applies to UE4 in general even UE4 D3D12 but it's a improvement. (Even if it's sort-of expected for the biggest games on the market to be covered as early as possible and supported quickly. ~ )

EDIT: Emulation too but far as gaming overall goes outside of state of the art Vulkan or D3D12 usage in emulators I think a majority uses Vulkan 1.1 and I don't know any Vulkan 1.2 supported titles even DOOM Eternal and I believe Red Dead Redemption 2 are on 1.1 though I could be wrong.

1.2.130+ and the newest SDK's are going to take time as they are still very recent and driver wise AMD and NVIDIA are still implementing extensions over the course of a few months of testing.

Think there's still a few API driver bugs and a couple older extensions AMD's dragging on implementing though I couldn't say how important these are or if it's for some good reason or just meh performance or low usage in programs or games even some of these emulator efforts or wrappers like DXVK here.
    (Though I think the Linux driver situation is going really well in regards to this compared to the Windows driver code.)

EDIT: Although it'd be nice if the driver was performant enough that DXVK didn't give a boost like this and became less of a big thing to just use and improve the driver behavior (And performance.) but in particular for D3D9 this also applies to NVIDIA the API itself is just limited like that.

For AMD D3D11 and lacking certain functions and optimizations is still hindering things a bit though at least for Navi10 / RDNA1 the stability has improved noticeably far as my own situation goes although I'll never really know why. (Part of it was the driver and initial code part of it's likely hardware and a third part is seemingly DMA transer related and by extent stress for RAM particularly on Ryzen and the infinity fabric and overclock sensitivity and stability.)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Jackalito, GSDragoon and OnnA like this.
  2. siriq

siriq Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    I don't know what do i wrong but for me just works. Got the monitor , plugged in then started windows. All i could see everything is in order. RX 580 with freesync monitor.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Different displays different hardware and different issues, VA and flickering was a big thing and then there's Freesync, Freesync2, Freesync 2 updates to Premium Pro something and more hardware differences.
    NVIDIA's expensive but effective solution is the scalar module though the V2 and whatever the latest is does add a bit of a cost although it helps make the hardware do as it should and you don't get this firmware reliance and partial support from certain vendors and manufacturers plus the panel hardware itself and what it is.
    (Well...kinda it lessens things somewhat here but it's not like it's perfect even so.)

Or using tools like Custom Resolution Utility to forcibly alter min and max freesync ranges and the clock situation with how the GPU has a tendency to run at least the VRAM state at max.
    My own displays a bit of a mix LG 27" 850 not quite 10-bit not quite HDR (Even the "HDR" 400 thing.) not quite FreeSync (Adaptive Sync, VRR instead.) and that's just a few variables.
    (It's a good display but more affordable and not quite up there with the really great stuff.)

HDR in particular is a right problem thanks to specs for 400 and then somewhat better for 600 and better yet for 1000 certification but it's still highly varied in what the hardware and compatibility and compliance actually is let alone testing and driver compatibility although NVIDIA is determined enough to give it a go which is admirable for how [beep] the situation is without the OS and it's HDR support and the actual implementation in games and software and then Vulkan and D3D12 and different driver HDR standards and yet more of a [beep] of a situation sigh.
    (Their ongoing G-Sync certification and compatibility in drivers doing testing across a lot of different displays that might be VRR but not G-Sync or have the full hardware.)

I don't doubt there's some real issues here particularly some of the displays that AMD might not have done full testing with and then add to that firmware updating and the loose standards including FreeSync2 in addition to HDR itself and probably more beyond my knowledge on it. (Backlight situation and then panel differences from TN, IPS, VA and variants like LEDs or OLEDs and more all with varying requirements and how well it's actually done and then from there to software support and the drivers.)

After all that Display Port and HDMI and varying issues here so it's not over yet plus it might continue even after HDMI 2.1 and Display Port 1.5 or what it will be called it's not just the cable features or bandwidth improvements good as these are and even expensive 1000+ USD/EUR displays aren't immune from these issues though at least there's a [beep] effort from the manufacturers to work on and support these expensive models more quickly and also driver compatibility.

EDIT: Actually VA display flickering might still be a bit of a issue on that note, there's work to be done here still.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Embra, GSDragoon and LocoDiceGR like this.
  4. pakoo

pakoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6800xt Red Devil EL
    No gpu scheduling support I suppose

itpro likes this.

5. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    make sure you take that attitude of yours with you

PieEyedPiper, sykozis and LocoDiceGR like this.
  6. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700 XT
    How do you clear DirectX shader cache ?

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    Windows Disk cleanup (run as admin).

Richard Nutman and MerolaC like this.
  8. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    I am sorry, damned ngreedia! AMD rocks, is awesome! Fine wine and better image quality. Anything else? Should I break my monitor with iron hammer and format my pc with an old monitor to satisfy you here? Do not burn me, you can ignore me.

I know facts. As long as I used an old monitor everything worked. I though AMD was great. By the moment two months now I got the best monitor for my money, it is a horror situation.

Known Issues

• Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
    • With HDR enabled, Windows® desktop may experience flickering, and performing a task switch while in a game may cause colors to become washed out or over saturated.
    • Brightness flickering may be experienced on some VP9 video content playback through applications or web browsers on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics product system configurations.
    • AMD will continue to monitor and investigate any new reports of black screen or system hang issues during extended periods of gameplay closely. Users are encouraged to use the new Bug Reporting Tool for any issues they may encounter.

All those came out just by buying a top tier monitor. Isn't AMD a part of PCMR anymore? Search google. There are people forced to use safe mode or format just from enabling AMD's GPU scaling. Is this a professional thing to happen?

9. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    FYI im no Nvidia hater

Thing is I got all new shiny tech too but guess what no problems that i didnt cause

Most issues are user error IMO

But by all means go over to the green side if thats what you want, everyone of your posts is to bash AMD here anyhow

and also im not so petty that i would ignore someone, im old enough to understand the internet and all its forms of "debate"

10. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    Is it bashing that RTG does not allow me to enjoy my system? People in AMD forums in guru3d and elsewhere are kinda toxic and annoying. If you have no positive things to tell about AMD, you are an enemy. I didn't know that I am an enemy because I demand my system to work as intended. :confused:

luciano10rd likes this.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    @itpro isn't necessarily wrong to complain. Yes, most of the time, the user is at fault. But not always. Is he to blame for his problems? Maybe, but here's the thing: AMD is still at fault for having something that is so easily broken by the user and no clear way to reverse it.

In general though, if you're going to be a relatively early adopter of a niche technology, expect to be disappointed.

As for Nvidia, yes, they are typically better at giving a more complete experience sooner than AMD (at least on Windows), but not everything is sunshine and rainbows with them either.

itpro likes this.
  12. luciano10rd

luciano10rd New Member

GPU:
    Asus HD 5850 1024MB
    I agree with your complaint. I bought a 27 "AOC 27g2 monitor, something as simple as being able to run at 144 hz native, with my RX 5700XT, it is not possible today in my system, I have never been able to use it normally, I always have to be forcing 120 hz on the desktop, if I don't, the video card memory works at full capacity, which significantly increases the consumption and the heating of the card and the equipment in general. I have looked for help online and the only thing that I find is thousands of people with the same problem, driver after driver ... the same thing ... In short, I'm thinking of changing the manufacturer.

itpro likes this.
  13. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    @luciano10rd Same here. My PC is hot because of this. It's either 60 or 120. 144 to 240 my rig is getting really hot for no reason. Hell even 120 is not perfectly downclocking like old 60 hz. I remember older monitors and gpus had the same issues with 75hz. Ati never fixed this.

My gpu is always at 55-60 degrees and my room is hotter in summer because I only changed my monitor. I should take permission from amd to change my monitor. They know better. They own our machines despite we give them our money.

@schmidtbag I am sure even with Nvidia I risk having one issues at the same list. But I am sure they would be less. By the end of September I will be on the third month with a new monitor I cannot enjoy. It is more than enough to either keep or kill that gpu. Only if amd can fix those issues with current Gen I will keep buying their gpus. If nvidia gives a better experience only a masochist would like being tortured constantly.

14. Oversemper

Oversemper Member

GPU:
    Radeon 7
    Why do you need it?
    So far it only lowers fps:

Lumaan and Krteq like this.
  15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    Just try CRU, set everything (OC it etc.) then report back.

Go here -> https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/c...ps-tricks-and-monitors-oc-lcd-led-crt.410187/

16. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    LoL.... only a 650EUR monitor? Let's up the bid a little shall we? One of my monitors is C49RG90, a 1500EUR (MSRP, now 1000-1200ish EUR) Monitor + VEGA64 and happy using HDR in games. So yeah... might be your fault or just a bad combination of everything (incl. the user) :rolleyes::D

PieEyedPiper and sykozis like this.
  17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    .48 is an older driver with some issues, although some games still seem to have issues with it, HAGS does help some games though so GN's claim regarding any game is not the complete truth either.
    I'm quite sure that AMD will support it on Windows in time since I assume that they already support it on the Xbox Series X, it might be more of a matter getting it done right from start rather than rushing into it and providing something only working halfways.

18. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    If I had the space I could buy G9 odyssey. It's irrelevant, already my G7 has better image and faster blacks than old generation VA panels. And HDR is not working keep spreading dreams. Happy for what? Is amd lying at known issues? HDR is washed out, desaturated or oversaturated depending on game. So, yeah go play one/two games working good with HDR, tell us HDR works flawlessly. Nice for you. I'm happy you enjoy it. And do not compare our knowledge as a user vs cs and it professional. You are annoying here, all of you, saying it's user's fault, not AMD's. AMD IS GOOD. YES.

19. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700XT Gaming OC
    I think this is a monitor issue more than a driver issue. You need to change the vertical blanking lines to a higher number. I had to do this with the current monitor AOC CU34G2X. On the other hand, with the previous Viewsonic XG2401, it worked out of the box because it had a higher vertical blanking.

IIRC the default was at 50 which resulted in the memory running at 1750MHz at idle. Now it runs at 200MHz.
    upload_2020-8-28_22-41-50.png upload_2020-8-28_22-43-50.png

OnnA and GSDragoon like this.
  20. Pictus

Pictus Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    Witcher 3 and Control DX12 is OK here with a 5600 XT + Win10 + AMD R5 3600

MerolaC likes this.