Download: AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.8.2 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 17, 2020.

1. sidi0us

sidi0us Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    Hi, you can run sigverif (win-r), this will verify you system for any missing whql drivers. I'm on 20.8.1, GPU-Z show beta, dxdiag shows whql, device manager show whql. Beta doesn't necessarily mean the drivers are non whql. For any non-whql drivers you will have a prompt on install...

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    What's so important on Microsoft having one or two signatures on the files anyway?
    (Which on the files properties is about the difference you get here there's the MS signature and then AMD's and then that secondary one from Microsoft for whatever it's for again.)

If AMD's happy with 20.9.1 it might get updated in a while with said signature and if they're really happy with it then they might promote it over this "optional" thing which seems like a strange leftover from the earlier driver releases.

EDIT: It doesn't do much for the driver itself especially if it's a almost entirely automated process nowadays too.

EDIT: Not that there's usually a hurry to upgrade to the latest newest driver or anything either unless there's some particular good fixes and less word about potential instability. :D

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    all drivers are required to go through the devportal which applies whql anyway

which means they passed all whql validation test.

4. sidi0us

sidi0us Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    Some old devices don't get driver updates, and the drivers are non-whql, you can still install them on x64 platform, it just requires some tweaking. Remember we are not living in a perfect world :D

Edit: lol.jpg On my system, right now :)

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Those files aren't provided by nvidia or amd, they are provided by and signed by LunarG

MerolaC likes this.
  6. sidi0us

sidi0us Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    I know, I've manually tinkered with them, that's not the point, you can have whql and non-whql in a system and still working fine. But these amd drivers are whql certified.

MerolaC likes this.
  7. Rojama

Rojama Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Why is my post unclear?
    Why would I be bothered looking up other cards that are irrelevant to me?
    It's plain as day 20.4.2 is recommended WHQL driver for MY card.
    Any others are not listed. What is so hard to understand about that?

Your beginning to sound like you know more than AMD & their products!

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    20.4.2 and 20.9.1 are built on the same driver base. The digital signing is irrelevant. The benefit from the newer driver builds are bug fixes, and optimizations. AMD offers a suggested Recommended driver that they feel is their most stable, mostly for users who aren't enthusiasts. If you feel 20.4.2 is the best for you, then use it.

If you are playing a newer game, and are having an issue, or you're looking for the best performance for a newer title, then you can consider the newer optional builds. However, the Optional builds are just as viable as the Recommended ones. Other companies do this, like Intel.

However, if you feel 20.4.2 is better than 20.9.1 because it's Recommended, then you would be mistaken. And yeah, I do know better than AMD. I can count a few issues I've debugged for them while with Asus, including GPU firmwares that just omitted memory profiles, causing instability issues with laptop solutions.

9. qwertydrive

qwertydrive Member

GPU:
    Sapphire rx 480 nitro
    I get a better DX11 API overhead score with 20.4.2 then any of the drivers after, Will probably stick with 20.4.2 for now

10. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    In that case, why would Performance Overlay not show when VSR is used? Patched Win10 LTSC.
    MSI Overlay works on AMD and Nvidia...

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Because MSI tools are using their own injector. It's called a software bug on Radeon's part. They need to fix it. File a bug report with them, and do it on every new build it still exists. They will pick it up eventually.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Jackalito and JonasBeckman like this.
  13. Rojama

Rojama Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

14. HD64G

HD64G Member

GPU:
    SapphirePulseRX5700
    This driver induced some bugs (auto-changing the custom OC/UV profiles, not waking the monitor from sleep) and because of them I installed 20.9.1 which is rock solid.

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    And this is from? (book?)

16. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Proverbs 26:4 (Google is your friend)

OnnA likes this.