Downgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 26, 2012.

1. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Guest

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    thanku, me an u think alike i am tierd of this win8 basting too. :(

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

You forgot to read the thread in your haste to protect 8 ?

If you had read it, you would have seen an example of 8 taking longer than 7

Anyway, enough of this, I`m not hanging around the bois any more, enjoy your 'experience'

3. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    You know, you come across as quite arrogant yourself...

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I did read the thread. And the "fanbois" statements are pretty pathetic. The hate8 bandwagon roadies label anyone that likes Windows8 as "fanbois"....and those that hate Windows8 as "seeing things clearly". That is pure arrogance. If you can't respect someone else's opinion, you make your own opinion worthless.

I've been using Windows8 since RTM. There is literally NOTHING I can't accomplish as fast or faster in Windows8 than Windows7.

I'm assuming you're referring to the example I've quoted below....which is wrong.

Funny, I did exactly that....and got a dialog box similar to that displayed in Windows7. I have the option to overwrite files, skip files, or select an action for each file. Lets stick to facts please.... The lies are getting pathetic.

No, I'm irritated by all the lie filled rhetoric. People can't find anything factual to support their hate of Windows8, so instead they post lies. When someone points out the lies, they're called "fanbois". If someone likes Windows8, they're called "fanbois". **** is getting old.

Do I like Win8 in general? Yes. Do I like every aspect of Win8? Not even close. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but there's no excuse for spouting blatant lies to dissuade others from even giving Windows8 a chance. Let people form their own opinions based on actual facts.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

5. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, +it when showing copy conflicts it explicitly says when the displayed group of files has the same name, size and modification time - no need for Total Commander.

But if someone hates, they will hate. When Windows 2000 and XP were released, some were saying that their new solutions suck and 98 is better. "People hated" Vista Start Menu, and when it was virtually the same in Win7 it was said to be great, etc.

Regarding 8->7 downgrade, the rules should be pretty straightforward and I hope MS will explain it so there are no questions left, so everyone in need would know if and when they can downgrade. Again, it'll mostly affect corporate users, and they often have special agreements.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Meh, personally I like Metro UI. Wasn't a fan of it at first, but I've been rolling with it for about a week or so now and I'm liking it a lot. Seems big and bulky, but flows very nice.

Also, let's not start to throw insults now.

7. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    To those who apply: I absolutely respect your guys' opinions so please do the same for me. I know you guys have your reasons for sticking with Windows 7, and I completely respect that, but please don't assume I'm an arrogant, mindless individual who's blindly supporting something that in actuality I would drop in a second if it didn't meet my needs and expectations. I know exactly what I like and what I don't like when it comes to the things I use every day, and whether it be a video game or an operating system, if I don't like it, I avoid it. :)

And as vbetts said, there's absolutely no reason to resort to name calling. We all have a common interest that brings us here to Guru3D and we shouldn't make that interest coming here just to degrade ourselves by bickering and spitting insults amongst each other like teenagers in the comments section of youtube. We're all better than that.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  8. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Well said! This is one of the best posts I've read in quite some time. I wish more people felt this way. Kudos to you!

9. sw1000xg

sw1000xg Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    NO idea why people hate Vista so much, I used it for Gaming, the Internet and Por... Er moving on! And All I had problems with was, it was a bit slower than W7 and a few driver problems, that didn't eff up my day to day usage, but did annoy that W7 fixed! Nothing else!

Only the die hard hardcore computer programing nerd would complain about!

But other than above I didn't mind it!

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Well said. Windows 7 is what Vista SHOULD of been. Though Vista worked & was an improvement over Windows XP, it was slightly sluggish, heavy on resources & had some driver issues.

Windows 8 is a more polished & better looking OS than 7. It looks slightly different but it's something we have to get used to. Sooner or later many people will eventually upgrade or switch to Windows 8.

11. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Hilbert, the same moron put in his blog that you can't multi-task in 8 and have multiple windows open which is a complete fabrication.... The only thing damning is the guys obvious stupidity....

The Start menu in 8 is just the start menu same as its always been, you can have what you want in there and remove what you don't want same as its always been....If you don't want the full screen apps in Start remove them and just have there what you find important, set Start up right and its far easier than digging round the old Starts small folder trees to get to anything. The retard in the "blog" clearly did not understand that concept, and the fact the desktop is the same as its always been and you can have as many windows open as you want.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  12. Nchinmay

Nchinmay Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    I came here expecting a clean downgrade procedure :(

13. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I don't hate on 8 because I have no personal experience with it. I will stick with 7 until something comes up that I would NEED 8. What I don't like about 8 on the surface is it's intent. It's a "Tablet OS" intended for Touch Screens. Just look around, manufactures are pouring out full size touch screen monitors for just that reason. IMO that is where alot of the hate with the Start UI comes from, it was never intended to be navigated with a mouse to begin with.
    The thought of having my main PC with a touch screen monitor to me is absurd(But has a certain "cool factor" to it tho) I will have to have a cloth right next to my hand so I can wipe it down after every time I touch it. I can even stand the slightest spec on my monitor, constantly covered in fingerprints? Your Mad!

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This right here is why I cannot stand the Windows 8 discussion because what you just wrote is wrong. I'll give people complaining about how ugly it is, how metro takes up everything, how unintitutive some of the menus are, etc -- all those things are definitely problems and arguable. But as a person who has always used a mouse and keyboard, I have absolutely not a single issue navigating metro at all and neither do any of the people who's machines I've installed it on.

Not only that but Microsoft wrote an entire blog post like 10 paragraphs long detailing exactly how they designed the interface to be used for a mouse and how they talked about how they had people come in and use the damn thing and shown that it actually took people shorter amounts of time to navigate to said programs. Then they also proved via a mathematical equation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts's_law) that the effective hit zone of each icon in metro is significantly higher than the old start menu method.

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

So I really don't get where this whole "OMG ITS COMPLETELY DESIGNED FOR TOUCHSCREENS" crap comes from. There is a lot of bad design decisions with the OS, but if you have problems navigating the OS with a mouse and keyboard (outside the time it takes to adjust, which I think is the problem most people are having, they try it for 3 seconds and then go cry a river about it) the problem is with you and not 8.

Edit: And most of this isn't aimed at you, because by your own admittance you haven't tried it -- but i'm just tired of hearing this thrown around.

I have a lot of problems with this OS. The duplicate functionality of some of the control panels and stuff is extremely retarded. The hot corners are annoying more than helpful. Even dual wallpapers is screwed up (you can't disable switching, so they change screens every x amount of time). The contrast is screwed up (try changing the color of the taskbar to black then say goodbye to title text, minimize, maximize!). It takes like 30 clicks to get to the shut down button. Try entering safemode/preboot thingy when you have a user login problem, have fun with that. Trust me -- I can write a list a mile long about stupid **** they did. But the mouse/keyboard thing is just nonsense.

15. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    the OS gives me nothing over win7, apart from young drivers and an interface which is a pain in the ass, yeah they can design metro like that, an uber start menu, then why that **** has only one window capability, and desktop its like in another part of the OS? seems legit that they designed with for KB/Mouse...

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You listed a bunch of things, some of which I agree with, then concluded with something completely different and irrelevant to the rest of the post. What does metro taking up the full screen have to do with navigating the interface with a keyboard and mouse? You realize that there are plenty of multi-screen interfaces with touch support correct? The two are not mutual. And you can't use one to prove the inadequacy of the other.

And honestly I don't really see the problem with start menu taking up the entire screen. I can't think of a single time it interfered with what I was doing. In fact even the design schism between the two doesn't impact my usability at all. It's ugly for sure, but I don't find it impeding my work what-so-ever.

17. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Will you at least admit that the interface is perfectly suited to a touch screen environment? I mean I have see it on Tablets it doesn't look any different and the touch interface works seamlessly with the very same UI.(As IMHO it was intended too)

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If it wasn't then why would they bother with Surface.

I have yet to try one of them, but it's also perfectly suited to mouse and keyboard as well, even things like shut down have yet to be an issue as i haven't used the mouse to shut down a PC in god knows how many years.

I only started using it on Sunday and i'm already starting to really enjoy using it, it's surprising how quickly you go from hate and confusion to like and smiles, frequently find myself going "ah right, nice"

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Of course ill admit that - it was designed to suit both and it works extremely well with both.

20. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    i have no problem with the big start menu, but i mean, if they didnt design it aiming tablets, why is metro like an alternative-capped-desktop with big buttons :S, makes no sense to me. Single window... well, its a mess, okay lets asume its a mess and done. It's not that i dislike being tablet-designed, but metro it's wrong and sucks, at least when you try to use it for more than start menu.

Plus they inteded to force it for the PC users ._.