DownClock Fix for Fury/390 series cards (may work for others too)...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ReaperXL2, Mar 1, 2016.

1. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    Hi Peeps...

Well, today whilst playing R6 Siege, I got a case of "severe gpu downclocking whilst in a particularly tricky bad guy stand off" that resulted in a very bad end for my character :(

So, after deciding for the 200th time "Enough with this power saving AMD bullsh*t !!!", I decided to start the great internet search for the fabled reg edit of legend...

After several hours of fruitless searching, I happened across the below link & post (the Link will be at the end of this post)...

I followed the simple instructions and in minutes, AMD GPU downclocking was securely ejected from the ****ing building :banana: :banana:

Holy Crap !!! I had found "The Holy Grail" it would seem :kermit: :cheers: :eek:rder: :mhp:

This fix was originally directed towards Fury/390 series GPU's as these were the ones most important to AMD & performance junkies alike... There are reports however that the reg edit entries also work on the majority of GCN architecture cards of the feature level 1.0 upwards...

I can confirm that after using just one edit, I had completely eliminated GPU downclocking outside of game menus, which completely emulates the zero core features of previous & sound 15.x.x catalyst drivers...

I have tested also with over 65 AAA/AA game titles including 95% of the latest releases over the last 2 yrs...

The other awesome thing about this fix is that now the full power of my 390 gpu is unlocked, In-Game performance from the 16.2 crimson driver is nothing short of !!! STUNNING !!! I mean it, !!!STUNNING" I tell ya :gape: :gape:

Anyway peeps, enough talk, more action... Checkout the link & post, complete the edit, switch off un-official OC mode in AB, set ya max clocks, enjoy ya games again & **** you AMD !!! What, ya could'nt incorporate this reg edit into the crimson driver yourselves? ****ing retards :bang:

!!! EDIT !!!

The first reg edit is for GCN cards follow the instructions & you are GOLDEN :thumbup:...

The other additional reg edits are to be included for non-GCN cards...

!!! Instructions !!!

1. Search for TFQ_NA in Regedit. This will take you to a folder like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000. Inside the 0000 folder, you'll see lots of registry keys like "RadeonSoftwareEdition." If you do, you're in the right place!

2. Add a new DWORD 32-bit key in the 0000 folder and name it: PP_AllGraphicLevel_DownHyst

3. Set the value data to decimal 20

4. Reboot

!!! Additional Edits !!!

You can also add these DWORD 32-bit keys, as they may also help resolve the issue if the above edit fails or you have a non-gcn card.

1a. PP_ActivityTarget (value data 30 decimal)

2a. PP_AllGraphicLevel_UpHyst (value data 0 decimal)

3a. PP_AllGraphicLevel_DownHyst (value data 100 decimal) : Note that this edit replaces step 2+3 from above...

Fury/390 series GPU DownClock fix : www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/477ot0/how_to_fix_fury_x_clock_throttling_on_radeon/

Have Fun Gaming people :thumbup:

Peace peeps...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. valkyrjur

valkyrjur Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070ti
    I will try because for example when i'm playing Batman AK MSI AB reports that the core fluctuates between 800-950 Mhz (stock clock is 1060) and the framerate drops to 30-35fps. Same with other titles. It's very frustrating have a "hot red brick".

3. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid

Dude,the first reg edit is for GCN cards follow the instructions & you are GOLDEN :thumbup:

The other additional reg edits are to be included for non-GCN cards (In hindsight I should clarify this in the OP)...

Report back so you can corroborate on the fix ok? Stay Breezy n Be Lucky....

Peace... :cheers:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  4. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 Amp
    Great find! But does clockblocker not work for you?

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    The point is: Why a lot of us need to use ClockBloker in the first place?

To avoid the new Crimson enforced and borked power saving feature.

I read the reffered reddit thread a few days ago:
    I guess this part means the reg key activates pre-Crimson power saving alike mode instead of Crimson one.

Maybe that's the reason AMDMatt suggested to use pre-Crimson drivers if we experienced downclocking and instability while gaming: Catalyst power saving feature is not borked like Crimsons one.

:D

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  6. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    well i for one like the idea of clockblocker since if whatever game i dont need the power saving turned off its handy to toggle it back on. With your method its all or nothing....and thats fine for people who have no desire for any power saving. Now if clockblocker has issues on your pc i can see the need....otherwise you guys reinvented the wheel (which seems to work fine)

7. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    @ReaperXL2
    Thanks for that info, it had fixed all my Problems :)

Totaly wrong, with that Fix the PowerSaving Mode is still active, but only the Version from Pre-Crimson Drivers.

With this fix, I do not have slowdowns in my Games (if the power is sufficient), but when i lock lower the fps very low, the Clocks go down to the needed power. Naturaly the clocks go to idle on the Desktop.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    The pre-Crimson method works so well that even AMD rep recommends to install Catalyst drivers when ppl have problem with Crimson borked power saving feature while gaming.

It's possible that you bought your dedicated AMD GPU to power save while gaming?

:rolleyes:

I could be wrong but i don't think so.

The MAIN reason ppl normally buy a dedicated gaming GPU is to have better performance in games not to power save in them.

The drivers should AT LEAST deliver the FULL (and constant) official 3D GPU bios clocks while gaming and DON'T FORCE GPU clocks and voltages to power save in this mode at the expense of performance.

It's fine to power save power at desktop 2D GPU bios clocks values because it's the intended purpose of this mode.

I think AMD should give the HUGE MAJORITY of their customers an option to get back the gaming performance and stability we had pre-Crimon that's why i launch my My Petition in change.org asking AMD to give customers an option to choice between performance or power saving.

I don't see any valid reason apart an AMD interest to appear as a "green" brand to force GPU customers to power save when they want performance (playing games).

9. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    No i get the argument...but i don't think its a bad idea to have the power saving -When it doesn't cause issues. Knuckles seems to imply clockblocker doesn't work in all cases, and if that being the case..well there ya go. Only time i really ever see mine clock down while gaming is games with very low needs like rebel galaxy....so it doesn't really effect older cards like mine much.

So yea i see a benefit of power saving even in games when it works correctly

10. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    Perhaps my English is not the best, so;

-without this FIX --> Buggy Crimson PowerPlay

-with this FIX --> well working PowerPlay from Catalyst Time + work with every Game!

-with ClockBlocker --> in Games NO powersaving at all!!! And it do not work with all the Games...

So best Solution at this Time --> THIS FIX.

11. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    The real question still is: Why is this issue occurring for some people, and not for others?

Is it maybe related to some brand? Or maybe to some Windows power savings settings? Or some additional software running on the system?

12. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    Perhaps; the most I read, was from People with Tonga/Fiji GPU + Windows 10 (as myself)

13. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    I have a Fury X, Windows 10, and tried most of the Crimson drivers, and have never noticed this behavior.

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Any reports that this works as I can't test it. I will add it to RadeonMod.

15. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    For me it works perfectly :)

I'm realy happy, that i do not need ClockBlocker. I will not say that this App is useless, but from one side it works not with every Game and PowerSaving is off.

16. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    can someone make a app with this fix so that the app detects what drivers you have and what version cards you have then applys the fix for you or removes the fix with a click of a button,

i hate doing reg edits lol

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The fix will be in the next version of RadeonMod that should be released shortly.

18. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK

Thanks!

But hopfully AMD will fix that Problem soon...

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    AMD driver team laziness is contagious.

:D

I'm also in for this option to be added in RadeonMod.

If we need to wait for AMD to fix it, THAT COULD TAKE AGES!!!

:bang:

20. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    REALLY?Like "next week"?

:3eyes: