Doubts about Crysis

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Devolution, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Crysis at the lowest settings has the graphics of farcry at full, not even joking... it looks exactly the same. My friend walked into the room when I was screwing around with the graphics options and was like "Why the hell are you playing Farcry?"

2. Waffen-5

Waffen-5 Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX 768mb
    Personally i'm really looking forward to FarCry 2, on graphics it looks on par with crysis and has a more believable story line, which excludes the god like nano suit and forces players to stop and pull bullets out of themselves with a pair of plyers, excellent!!!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/103158.html

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    falcon northwest yes is $5k, some more, sven scveate or whatever his name is mentioned at very high with 1900xxx resolutions you need hardware similar to that to play qx6850, sli..etc, he didnt mention what frame rate but i think sven was giving an estimate off his head based on what he's seen on various hardware rigs

i'll bet performance wont improve much at all, improved drivers should help some. i've been Fp subscriber for a while and all the beta's i've played before showed little noticable frame rate improvements with final releases less theres bugs that are hindering it in beta

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    yeah..... if you buy a pre-built "enthusiast" computer. Alienware.... Falcon Northwest..... any of those. EVERYONE knows that building your own is typically MUCH cheaper than buying any of those. Usually you're paying for the emblem of the company.... and their custom cases. WOOHOO! i'd rather save a few grand, build it myself, and have it in a case that i choose myself. Just as a bit of a demonstration..... i threw together some parts on Newegg.... that you probably won't find in any of those "enthusiast" computers.... or at least not for the price:

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 = $1039.99
    4GB (4x1GB) 240-pin DDR3 1333mhz = $930
    Asus P5K3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP Intel P35 motherboard = $239.99
    2x eVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MB = $1,259.98

Total = $3,469.96

That's even going way the hell overboard if you ask me. still a grand and a half away from $5k. even throwing another 4GB of the DDR3 into the mix (max the board can handle is 8GB) would still leave it rougly $500 off the $5k mark.

5. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Lol, there's a good reason you wouldn't find those parts in a prebuilt machine! Good luck trying to run SLI'd Ultras in a Crossfire Motherboard. :dave:

6. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    .....mr technical. i was just trying to prove a point. went with the most expensive motherboard i found on Newegg that happened to support DDR3 1333. wasn't really looking at specs.... since i was just looking for a general price.

7. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Considering the utter lack of creativity on behalf of the music industry and movie industry, the gaming industry is next on the list really..

I hope that they can stay fresh and release different breeds of games for the new generations, but I have to say, if gaming gets to be anything like the music and movie industries have been lately, devoid of any real creative thought, then I'm a little more than worried.

8. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    As long as those of you who are highly anticipating the release of Crysis keep in mind that its just a PC game, then I think everything will pan out just as it should.

Crysis is an amazing game so far that seems do nearly everything available in current FPS just a little better, with better visuals. I was highly skeptical myself, but after spending some time with the MP Beta, its safe to say this game is truly great.

9. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS (G80) @ 600/1800
    I disagree, while I don't think PC gaming is dead, or really even that close to dead, it is the worst it has been relative to console gaming that I can remember. The reason is two fold imo; lack of creativity in gaming as a whole which will obviously effect PC games and the other obvious one, massive improvements in the quality of games available on the consoles and the platform exclusive titles. I mean I play WoW, but it's more out of habit now then anything else, Crysis does look awesome but we have no idea what the single player game will be like at this stage and Bioshock, while great, is available in just as good a version (if you can get over the pad controls) on the 360 which costs only £180 compared to a decent PC at say £400-500. Games like Gears of War (which is coming to PC thankfully) and Heavenly Sword have, temporarily at least, put the graphics crown in doubt between PC and console gaming, something which has really never been seriously disputed before. UT3 is another example of the console world finally "growing up", especially with PS3 gamers able to play custom mods and compete on equal terms with a keyboard and mouse if they like. This current generation of consoles, well at least the PS3 and 360, do really need to be taken seriously by the PC gaming community because they have ample power to compete graphically in the short to mid term and some games are simply better suited to consoles, full stop.

With all the hype surrounding it Crysis had better be amazing, but if it does sell amazingly well you can bet there will be a console version coming because that is where the serious money is and that is what drives the industry. Personally what I have seen of Far Cry 2 has impressed me more, but ofc time will tell.

10. nas711

nas711 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Dell 30" BFG 8800gtx OC + PhySEX
    OMG NO. How dare you say brilliant artists like WILL.I.AM and FERGILICIOUS are lacking in creativity. Shame on you.... :p

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    who said anything about building your own machine and why are you argueing about price differences? those prebuilt machines are expensive cause their heavily overclocked and offer 24/7 support, expensive glossy custom paint jobs that you wont find on your cheap plastic/steel newegg box and a WARANTE..please tell me you know that right?
    Top shelf hardware to run crysis maxed is still not within reach of most pc gamers. wether its 3 grand, 5 or 10 grand. crytek tried to futureproof it for 1 to 2 years down the road as they already stated

also the only people who can build a pc themselves and overclock like that are enthusiasts like us..which are under the 5% pc user margin btw
    i take it you plan your one of those who plans to play crysis maxed out and will make pissy threads in forums if it doesnt.

whew, its like pre oblivion/doom3..etc all over again, d@n kids never learn, i guess you can take em to school and buy em books but you can't keep em from doodling stick figures with giant penis's on the pages

hard to be creative when its all been done before.
    most games that are the most creative usually have the highest chance for failure, theres no bling bling in failure son.
    messiah, omikron or city crime anyone?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    :p :) What's sad though and what scares me the most is that devs can see just like us what kinda utter crap passes through the halls of the music industry, and yet nobody seems to care.. people keep buying dumb music and paying money to see completely retarded movies!

If I was a dev, and I saw that, what in the hell would inspire me to spend lots of hours thinking up and developing a GOOD game, when they can make a game like halo 3 and put it out there, and get hailed as a god. I don't get it.

and I mean, I'm an audio engineer first and foremost, but if I ever got a job where I had to mix out or produce $hit like what fergie puts out, I'd sooner choke myself with an xlr cable.

he hee!! You hit a gad'damn home run with this one chief :D

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  13. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    xrc6 (and apparently these first two threads to Scooby too): uuh.... right now i'm actually playing the Beta with everything set to low, and it's still freakin beautiful. who knows what the DX10 portion will look like on low.... or how any of the DX10 settings will impact performance. we won't truely know that until the game or maybe Demo is released, due to the fact that there isn't really any other PC game with comparable graphics out right not to try it on. But the PTBoats DX10 benchmark seemed to run quite well. who knows.

I've always said.... i don't care what settings i run a game at, as long as it runs smoothly in my eyes. If setting it to max/High (since yes, Ultra High is probably similar to the same setting when Doom 3 was released.... requiring hardware not available yet) makes it run at an average of 30-40fps.... with occasional drops to 20fps... i'd be perfectly fine with that. If it's unplayable... i'll mess with the settings until it IS playable.

And the people who buy those expensive computers from places like Alienware, Voodoo... stuff like that.... are the people who want a good gaming computer, but either don't KNOW how to build their own computer.... or would rather not go through the effort. A lot of times.... their "overclocks" aren't that major. but again.... to those who don't know their way around a computer, the word "Overclock" sounds awesome.

Oh.... and as for the whole "expensive glossy custom paint jobs that you wont find on your cheap plastic/steel newegg box" portion of your statement.... i believe Coolermaster's cases on Newegg have us covered on that one.

(in ascending order by price)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119135
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119125
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119126
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119127

As i said.... a lot of what you're paying for is the emblem of the company that's slapped on the case..... and their custom cases. chances are.... their "custom glossy paint job's" aren't cheap either.... nor using cheap cases. Hell.... the last two of those coolermaster cases are just plain dumb. if you're unsure of what i speak of..... look at the side panel.

14. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Q6850
    2x 8800ultras
    4gigs RAM
    680i Striker Extreme
    1000W PSU
    2x 750 GB HD
    Watercooling
    Case big enough to hold it all

that would easily be $4500-5000. you had $3500 without case, PSU, HDD, or cooling.

this game better be fuc^ing amazing with all the hype for this long.

15. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    I played Crysis...and then I played Frontlines. Had more fun with frontlines....HL2 EP2 where are u.

16. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    I think people are getting over the honeymoon of crysis and the trailers. Quite frankly PC gaming is fine. Console faming stacks 3 platforms versus 1 and PC still holds its own.

17. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    The only doubts I have about Crysis is will it play at 60fps @ a min rez of 1280x960 with 2-4x aa everything on high. We will see in a few weeks;)

18. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    Console = FPS games, 3rd person action game, RPG games, Sport games, Racing games.
    PC = RTS games, MMO Games, Super crappy FPS games.

its very true. only way they can save pc is they use unreal engine 3 because as a late, all unreal engine 3 game run super fine on any pc.

19. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Stranglehold. That was damned fun. I think creativity as a whole is dead in gaming period. I played Psychonauts and I must say it is quite fun when you get past the annoying platforming issues that have plauged that genre since Mario 64. I then played Two Worlds and boy was that the biggest steaming pile of crap known to man.

The depressing thing is that Psychonauts failed horrendously...Two Worlds probably actually sold decent sales, on the basis of being like Oblivion alone. The lack of justice.

When games like Psychonauts fail while Halo 6Xmillion( I do like the Halo series) sells like hotcakes, you gotta think the devs will stick to where the money is at. Not to mention, big publishers like EA, Vivendi, Eidos, 2K, and so on mostly throw their devolpment money at tried and true franchise and genres.

It is a sad fact of life: The uncreative determine what the creative do...and in turn the creative eventually burn out and become uncreative.

20. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    Creativity will be on wholl new level with all new cool stuff they can put in games!!

just think of Vegas.. its normal FPS nothing different from others, but with that awsome hiding system its wholl new game!!

and Cs? there is no creativity just style of u play, and ppl play it becos they mastered game and dont what to let it go...

so far Crisys looked good in my eyes.. i dont know what do u ppl expect from games thise days!!!