DOOM Will Feature 17 Single-Player Missions

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    If the config file can be edited like Doom3's, then no complaints from me. The game is not even out yet so how can it be known that the fps lock cannot be overridden in the config file? Does not matter if it could not while in beta.

2. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    (honest question)

Is it possible to get past 60 FPS in Doom 3 or Rage?

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Id tech engine limitation, not possible. We'll have to deal with it.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Doom3 bfg edition is 120fps, but mods dont work..well dunno now they didnt by rls

5. Jamie T

Jamie T Master Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I like games with allot of gametime on Singleplayer, cause even with nobody plays the game anymore it means you can still play it in the future.

6. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    That's nice. Nowadays I don't have the time to play MP only games, it's nice to have SP games too. Whether or not this one is worth buying is still in the air.

7. eddieveenstra

eddieveenstra Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780@1150MHz
    I hope bethesda takes the effort to put some findable things in the game... Hidden stuff. I like to "wander" through te level and searching for things. And then get the crap scared out of me and **** my pants because i missed some freaking demon in the dark... ;-)

8. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Ok - if those older games have that 60 FPS limitation, I imagine this new game will have a similar framerate lockdown. For the record, I'm fine with 60 FPS for some single player Doom.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    In the past, I tried and struggled just to get 20-30 fps in doom 3. My original posts were a project getting Quake 4, an ID tech 4 game to support shader 1.4. And now with all the mods for doom 3 it is hard for me even now to get doom 3 at 30-60 fps at 4K proper with other mods.

10. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    13 hours? well stuff that then. Unless it costs $20 that's a no buy for me. I have plenty of games with 40-200 hours worth of playtime in my library that also have huge replay value (XCom, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Divinity etc)

13 hours is a "good amount" in your book? Wow. This is why they make games with so little content, because people like you will still buy them!

Are you serious? I've been playing games since the 80s too and there are a ton of games that took weeks if not months to complete. Clearly you actually haven't played many games at all then, at least not good ones. Baldur's Gate I&II, Icewind, Fallout series, FFantasy series...all took hundreds of hours each to play. Not sure what games you've been playing but 13 hours is in no way "good" at all.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016

11. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Real quick, want to ask not to judge people for how they feel about game lengths.

No more of that please. That's rude.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    13 hours is too short for me to even consider buying it for the singleplayer. As others stated it's cut down again in refresh rate and hardware support, so no, not going to buy this one personally. Maybe sometime later for a very, very big discount.

13. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    13hours? fps lock? In 2016 are they serious? Although i agree with quality against quantity, but it should cost no more than 10USD then.

14. Undercova

Undercova Master Guru

GPU:
    660GTX Windforce
    Comparing FPS games to RPGs? Show me a FPS that took +100 hours to finish the SP.

15. sluflyer06

sluflyer06 Member

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte 980Ti G1's
    you guys are DELUSIONAL if you think 13 hours is decent for a single player campaign. 30 hours is right around industry average for single player games. Hell I didn't even finish Batman AK but I felt like I got my money's worth after about 50 hours and still plenty of the game left. Same goes for pretty much every other game I have in the single player realm, typically getting me 30-60 hours without being a completionist.

16. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I think it's you who are delusional. 30 hours is nowhere near the standard for SP FPS, nor it ever was. FPS are a lot shorter and even doom 3 was like 16 hours tops.

But sure there are some sandbox games where you can spent hundreds of hours in SP, these are just not shooters.

17. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    My favourite genre of game is the RPG, which tend to be lengthier than most in the single player department. I've completed all of the Infinity Engine games (BG1+2, Planescape, IWD 1+2 etc), as well as most other major (and many obscure) RPG's over the years. Not one of those games ever took literal weeks or months to complete. If it takes you a week straight (168 hours) to finish a single player game I'm happy for you, but the majority tend to take a lot less time. Even counting additional times played to catch content which you have missed. Let alone taking 600-700 + hours if it's taking you months. Replay-ability is not the same thing as a measurable play though for single player content.

Baldurs Gate 2 averages 90 hours for the main story and additional content, 142 for completionists that desperately need to get and do every little thing. A far cry from a week straight, let alone months. BG2 is one of the longer games which you mentioned, Final Fantasy titles can easily be finished in much shorter lengths of time even when going for everything. Here's a list for you:

Final Fantasy 7
    Final Fantasy 8
    Final Fantasy 9
    Planescape: Torment
    Baldurs Gate
    Icewind Dale
    Icewind Dale 2

As I'm sure you can see, even going for 100% rarely pushes the players of those games over the 100 hour mark. I've been playing games such as the above for a very long time, you are grossly exaggerating how long they take. The same way other people who have compared this game to other FPS titles, while claiming they're 30-40 + hour games when they're really not. As I have proven in earlier posts, 13 hours is about the average length for an FPS, I'm sure it'll take longer for those who want 100%. In fact, the upcoming campaign is one of the longest yet for a Doom game.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    I'm hyped for this, more than I would have expected. I know the engine limitations, but the new Wolfentsteins were EPIC, both visuals and actual game. Even RAGE wasn't that bad, for me at least. So that aside, DOOM looks very promising. Funny though, Wolfenstein, got a great remake and now it's DOOM's turn, in the same order as the original release, hope it won't disappoint. :nerd:

19. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Lightning 1459
    I am not sure if you can compare RPG games with FPS...FPS tend to usually be around that 10-13hr mark, its hard to stretch it further than that.

FPS games tend to have a set start and a set finish, re playability is also diffcult as well, but usually thats where multiplayer helps.

but tbh i am just getting this game for its single player story, i do remember the good old doom days, and the new doom after that they created was alright, but the new new doom 2016 looks interesting, and with i think this time around we might get a good story, some classic doom feeling.

20. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Guys, what did I ask earlier? Come on now.