Doom III technical problems

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by jackliu913, Aug 6, 2004.

1. jackliu913

jackliu913 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti AMP Extreme
    Hey all.

Well, it's a fact that ATI cards runs doom 3 crappy. And I'm personally not that satisfied with the performance I'm getting right now. Probably average 30-40 fps on ultra settings (1024x768 res)

But then I'm getting this strange problem of getting tons of artifacts in the game that's it's scaring me and making me think that my 9800 Pro is gonna fry any second. I have my 9800 Pro (arctic silenced) running at default XT speeds, with a overclocked xp2800+ @ 2.4 Ghz. However I got sufficient cooling for my CPU as well, and my room is pretty cool now, so this shouldnt be an issue.

The most strange thing is that all my other games runs perfectly without an artifact in sight. WTF is going on?

2. PixelDude

PixelDude Pixelated Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT (Albatron) on a 19" 8ms LCD
    Have you tried different Catalyst drivers? You may have ran into the ATI tradition of swapping catalysts drivers depending on the game you want to play.

3. PhantomCracking

PhantomCracking Master Guru

GPU:
    7970 Ghz
    Hmm..

Regardless of how close the 9800 Pro & XT are in core/mem speed, i'd say lower it some and it should rid of the artifacts. ..Has something to do with doom 3 causing more stress than other games out there, that would explain why your other games run fine. ..I dunno though, i am pretty dumb though so, don't listen to me. :D

4. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Raedon 9800 flashed to pro
    Check around the web. TONS of people (myself included) are having problems with 9800 series cards. I can barely get it to run. Try downclocking to stock, it seems to have helped some people.

5. It's a pipedream to think you'll get decent FPS running in Ultra mode with a 9800 Pro. You should be running medium quality instead. There's a reason why 512MB of video ram is recommended for Ultra mode. Also, I'd suggest checking out the little Doom 3 tweak guide over at Viperlair if you haven't already. They point out some interesting tweaks and issues. I run a 128MB 9800 Pro, softmodded to an XT, and anything above medium quality will drop the FPS down as low as 12 during hectic battles. I'm still using the 4.7 CAT'sm which ATI admits has some problems. I haven't bothered to try the 4.9 "Doom3" beta CAT's yet. Doom 3 looks awesome to me, no artifacts at all. Just takes a beast of a video card if you want to run it full steam with all the eye candy turned up.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2004
  6. jackliu913

jackliu913 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti AMP Extreme
    Yes I agree. I tried it with my Stock 9800 Pro speeds (378/338) however I want better perfomance for my gameplay because Radeon cards are already crappy for Doom 3 already.

I tried it with all the other graphically intensive games such as UT2004, BFV, Painkiller and Call of Duty. All ran perfectly with no artifacts at all in 415/385 overclocks but Doom3 is pissing me off.

7. Abunai

Abunai Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY Verto 6800 GT
    Overclocking causes conflicts with the Doom 3 engine. Thats right out of the horse's mouth (id). Don't bother with OC'ing, artifacts are guaranteed. But install the 4.9's, they do help. I can run on High now with a consistent 30-60 fps. Significant dips below 30 are rare now even in heavy fire. There are the odd hitches when loading textures however, just cant get past that with a 128mb card. Thankfully its not too frequent.

Oh and what the hell are you doing trying to run on Ultra? ;)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  8. aaroncp

aaroncp Guest

I'm done with ATI after the crappy drivers they have out right now. I'm switching to nVidia and probably won't look back, at least for my gaming machines.

9. jackliu913

jackliu913 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti AMP Extreme
    i dont know

i wasnt aware of this 512MB video thing on ultra settings only. Was too busy trying the game out with everything maxed.

So seriously, ultra and high has no difference whatsoever?

10. krisha

krisha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTS250 512 mb
    ATi still rule

11. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    what are you talking about. i have my stuff OC'd and have no problems

12. jackliu913

jackliu913 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti AMP Extreme
    Striker, because you have a Nvidia Card.

Nvidia is known to have superior support for OpenGL games. Just look at the benchmarks from the article posted from anandtech.com

And people said there are issues with 9800 Pro cards that artifacts shows up really fast once you overclock the card. I think that problem applies to me too since I run all the other games perfectly with O/Ced speeds, yet Doom 3 I only run it at slightly O/Ced speeds and artifacts show up everywhere.

13. You should check out the link in my previous post, but first check out the HardOCP link here. That will help explain the quality settings and why your 9800 Pro isn't doing as well as you would like.

14. krisha

krisha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTS250 512 mb
    I have read about people with the 9800 series that have big probs and those who have none whatsoever! I think there is more to it that "just bad open GL support" and that is an overstatement - i have had no probs with other games run in opgl. the system ram seems to be a factor to i'll be getting the game i 1½ weeks and we'll see.

My theory is that if there are other smaler bottlenecks in the system (be it cpu or ram) then the nvidia chipset cards will rule. In the case of a highend system (like mine) i am not at all worried.

15. krisha

krisha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTS250 512 mb

16. krisha

krisha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTS250 512 mb
    the 6800 had a minimum of 25 fps and the 9800xt 23 - two lousy frames i mean common'