DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    After release, similar to how they did Vulkan with the previous title.
    They said making the game the best it can be is the main focus right now.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  3. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    does anyone else want an option in the game to keep the disappearin helmet hud on at all times??? i always love the look ofg it and think it would be awesome to have it as an actual feature you can toggle on or off.

Shataan likes this.
  4. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    Saw a coupla vids where a guy said he had played the pc version of the demo at E3. And both said movement speed seemed slower..... than DOOM 2016. hmmmmmmm

5. hyperboarean

hyperboarean New Member

GPU:
    GTX 770M 3GB
    GmanLives says it's slower.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats not a bad thing

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Depends on how it's handled.
    If it is "slower" then DOOM 2016, it'll still be faster then a lot of shooters. And, speed does not make a game good.

It looks like with Eternal they are trying to emphasis player movement more in other ways, with the ability to double dash while in the air, the meathook on the Super Shotty pulling you to enemies.
    Player mobility seems to be a big focus.

8. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    Speed is not the point actually. I am talking about FEEL. And I liked the FEEL of DOOM 2016s speed of movement. If it feels sluggish iuncomparison, it won`t FEEL right for me. Not to mention, jump pads. I am a fan of how they felt in Quake 3, and Unreal Tourney. The speed FELT awesome. I expect low grav to feel a tad slower. But it`s going to be disappointing if normal jump pad usage FEELS slow. I don`t expect anyone to get my drift on this issue. Well some might. I can see most won`t. But whatever. Proof as always is in the pudding. Hopefully it won`t suck.

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It's id Software.
    If they nail one thing in their games, it's player movement and feel. The weight and heft of being in the world.

I have zero worries about them being able to deliver.
    I've seen people complain about DOOM Eternal being "slower"... yet, gameplay footage on PC looks just as fast as the previous game.
    While the gamepad footage looks slower.

I think some people forget that DOOM 2016 wasn't blazing speeds of fast. And there was a Rune that allowed you to move faster as you fought.

Archvile82 and cerebus23 like this.
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Personally I don't mind at all even if Eternal is a bit slower paced than Doom 2016.

There's fast and then there's outright chaotic, the latter of which isn't really fun to me. It's not fun to have your senses overloaded.

I think D2016 was already at the line of fast / chaotic in places.
    Worth remembering og. Doom wasn't very "fast" either. Yes you could run about 60 mph but combat encounters were paced either way (and enemies didn't move very fast, mostly).

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    To me that was the best thing about Doom 2016, along with the exploration and finding all the secrets. The big battles where waves of enemies assaulted you at the same time and you had to move quickly and strategically to avoid being overwhelmed. That was the essence of Doom.

As a matter of fact, one of the tips they give you in a loading screen is," Hell devours the indolent. Movement is the key to victory."

I hope they multiply that feeling by 10x in Doom Eternal! :cool: The engine improvements would definitely support it, as IdTech 7 can display a lot more geometry on screen without bogging down the framerate.

Shataan and cerebus23 like this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
  13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I get why they used what they used, but, I would rather see a true comparison.
    Actual Doom... not the heavily modded, obnoxious fluff that has been crammed into every WAD out there version of Doom.

14. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I think it's time I considered moving to Ryzen 3000 series. I'd still like to see more new tech, which will likely come next year or 2021. DOOM Eternal should still run plenty fast enough on my rig, but the 5960X is starting to show its age.

15. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    Just watched the DOOM Eternal E3 2019 Story Trailer. And it does give me some hope.

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    They delve more into the multiplayer aspect this year, but they also show one of the new demons from the single player campaign. And once again, I'm pleasantly shocked at how much better the texture quality is in IdTech 7 and how much more polygons are used for the environments and the entities! :D

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
  18. Archvile82

Archvile82 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti FE
    This game is going to ****ing awesome.

Really dont understand peoples worries about it but I do remember the same comments were made about Doom 2016 and look how that turned out...

19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I was hoping for a "no glory kills" mode (because I dislike games that give you infinite health and/or kill the enemies for you instead of leaving that to the player,) but I'll take it. I'll do the same as I did in Doom 4 where I pretend glory kills don't exist. I'll probably just remove the keybind. :p

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    maybe this time it will come with the game soundtrack playable in game? I just recently bought doom and I got say is the most fun i had in FPS game in very long time. its like Doom and Serious Sam had child that know what a good soundtrack is.

Health packs and med station are how FPS games should be played not this hide and regen stuff Halo started