DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yeah, first time I faced one it took me ages to dispatch him. After ice bomb and blood punch to his rocket sled he became much easier.

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Yeh blood punch is basically OP against him but you need to set it up.

Other way is have chaingun shield up and advance to him -> blood punch + frag for example.

Either way I find destroy the sled first, don't bother with plasma disabling the shield.

Maddness likes this.
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Started UN attempt of base campaign if anyone wants to watch:

Exultia is also up on channel. Cultist Base next once I practice run it a few more times.

I actually did this a few months back first time but decided then need more training, lols.

Maddness likes this.
  4. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    you weren't kidding, it is kicking my ass lol. Can't seem to get past that small arena with the foggy pit area, it's so cramped I can't move without bumping into something hostile.

Also if any of you guys lift weights, this is good motivation

cerebus23 likes this.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Yeah that bit is tricky. Avoid going down to the fog, stay up and use the portals to sort of 360 the area all the time. Also avoid the center as it's shield guy town often.

Save your ice bomb until the spectre whiplashes spawn, I think it's after you kill most arachnotrons.
    Try to kill them all at once with destroyer blade.

I often just fire a BFG once the barons spawn in. It won't kill any of them but weakens them nicely (and clears the area otherwise).

Also you'll be glad to hear the real nasty bits are only coming up...

(After playing TN ML more I've changed my mind about it actually, even if it has really hard fights it seems more fair still than Super Gore Nest.
    Still have to do it on Ultra Nightmare and then I'm 10 / 10 for Taras Nabad too.)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Duke Nil likes this.
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Frick yeah, managed CB for the first time ever in UN. In other words UN is practically in the bag now, lols.

Update 6.66 is out on the 26th btw (all platforms except Switch at this point).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP

AsiJu likes this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    cerebus23 and vestibule like this.
  9. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    I'll bet somewhere there has been a lot of rage inducing moments with keyboards, mice and controllers bouncing off their monitors.

10. noGuruATall

noGuruATall Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580 3GB
    How can I take screenhots from DOOM Eternal?
    GeForce Experience don't work for me. It wors in other games but HDR is disabled on screenshots. Windows game bar allow me to take sshots with HDR but in DOOM also don't work. There is any solution? BTW I don't understand why game bar allow HDR screenshots but GF Experience no.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Making progress in campaign UN, maybe I can make it...

Pretty easy and safe strat for Doom Hunter boss btw:

(Btw Youtube auto-pick thumbnail really favors chainsaw images for some reason, lol).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    cerebus23 likes this.
  12. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    How about the Slayer Gates on Ultra Nightmare?

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    I'm skipping them on purpose, you get enough weapon points for important mods even without.

(If I succeed I may try 100 % UN later)

cerebus23 likes this.
  14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Had to share, this mofo is bonkers :eek::

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  15. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    So, I completed the game yesterday evening. Overall, I had a lot of fun with the combat, as punishing as it was. Ammo upgrades were a top priority, otherwise the lack of ammo hampered the fun factor. Fully upgraded ammo stockpile made the combat shine. I won't go for Ultra Nightmare, as I feel that that's where any enjoyment would cease, and I'd hate to see this game as a job. I liked that there was a slight shift from 2016's arenas. Eternal seems to have gone for a larger number of smaller/faster encounters, with some levels being focused a lot around the enemies being simply "in the level" as opposed to teleporting into an enclosed arena. I like the variety in the bestiary, and the guns were fun to use. The movement was snappy, and I wasn't bothered too much by the occasional platforming (albeit it wasn't entirely necessary to add it in).

The bosses were not that great, though. D2016 did them better. In Eternal, the Doomhunter was fun, the Gladiator was meh, and the Icon was, imho, horrible - a terrible bullet sponge that felt like a chore to get through. It wasn't that hard, it was just long and drawn out. It's also as close to earrape as I want to get in a paid, professional game. I can't speak for the DLC's, but I've hared that the boss there isn't all that great either.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    What happens in the video is as follows:

yb(t3) ~ pb > frag + sb(ps), sb(ps#3), sb > rl(ps), j.rl(ps), j.rl > j.slob, j.slob(msc) > j.bal

@TheDigitalJedi
    See, Eternal is a fighting game :D

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  17. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + C1 OLED
    Lol! :D:D:D @AsiJu You are the Doom Eternal Fighting Champion. This game is such an action packed adrenaline rush and the performance is through the roof. I can't think of another shooter that has as much action as this one. What sets this apart is the immersive feel of the weapons and the thunderous boom of the explosions. I still haven't played this game. This is one of those games that goes places that make me feel uneasy. I do know that this is just a sci-fi bang bang boom boom. LOL.

On a technical level it scales so well across all hardware. It makes me wonder what this engine could do with a third person adventure title like Uncharted. Does John Romero or John Carmack have any positions with I.D. Software?

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Heh, thanks!

Do note though that insane combo video isn't mine and the combo notation was copied from someone else too, just remembered you saying you like fighting games and apparently that's SF3 style combo notation :)
    Imo it was neat.

But yeah, the video shows how insane stuff you can even pull off (but obviously stuff like that isn't needed to play).

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Missed this at first.

No both are long gone from ID and doing their own things. But the new ID is keeping the fire alive.

Marty Stratton (CEO) joined ID when Carmack was still there so there's a link. He's the longest term ID employee from the current roster I think.

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Another strat video, relatively easy and safe routine for Gladiator 2nd phase which is surprisingly hard to to deathless:

see video description for pointers.

apophis likes this.