DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    First playthrough on Nightmare?
    Kudos for sticking it out, I did my first on Hurt Me Plenty (dropped down from Ultra-Violence in Cultist Base) and a few more on UV before even attempting Nightmare and IIRC had to drop back to UV on first go.

These days Nightmare is my casual difficulty so things change. I adore games that push you to master them :)

Yeah RT is a nice upgrade and the implementation is very consistent, if that makes sense.

Krizby likes this.
  2. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    I usually play game at the highest selectable difficulty just to stretch out playtime because I don't like replaying games :D. After finishing the game I still couldn't figure out the mechanics of Quick Scope and Quick Swap though, probably need more hours LOL.

IMO RT Reflection should be minimum requirement for futuristic games going forward, I don't really care if devs scale down rasterization to maintain playable framerate with RT because honestly I would rather play with High Settings with RT rather than Ultra settings without RT anyways.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I often do the same, Eternal is actually a rare exception as I keep replaying it over and over.

Quick swaps are not necessary to play the game but something to practice later if you wish keep playing. Nothing more satisfying than Decimating a Tyrant or Arch-Vile with a volley of precision bolts and rockets!

I started properly training quick swapping only during Ancient Gods 1 DLC first playthrough.
    Keybinds are extra important for quick swaps, choose ones that feel comfortable and easily reachable.

I have mine set as follows in case you or someone is interested:
    movement = WASD and jump = Space as default
    Q - flame belch
    E - switch grenade
    Left Shift - Dash
    Left Ctrl - throw grenade
    G - chainsaw (G is also mapped to DPI switch button in mouse)

R - combat shotgun
    F - heavy cannon
    V - plasma rifle
    C - ballista
    X and Caps Lock - super shotgun
    Z - rocket launcher

B - chaingun (barely use it and not part of any combo so just somewhere)
    2 and 3 - BFG / Unmaykr
    T - Crucible / Hellbreaker

mouse side button 1 = use / blood punch / glory kill
    mouse side button 2 = switch weapon mod

Quick swaps:
    F + C = PB + Ballista
    I mainly wanted to make this as easy as possible, F and C are easy to hit with index finger

F + Z = PB + rocket
    took some practice to hit Z with ring finger consistently, this could be made easier still but I'm used to it now

F + CapsLock = PB + SSG
    still practicing this one and hardly optimal keybinds

SSG + Ballista ie. the Marauder combo can be easily done with mouse wheel back and forth as they are adjacent weapons.
    Actually you can cycle through: rocket launcher -> SSG -> Ballista -> SSG -> rocket launcher...
    for nice damage easily, for starters.

Just mindful of the rocket launcher in close quarters...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    cerebus23 and Krizby like this.
  4. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    I managed to squeeze between 150-175 fps out of this @ 3840x1600 ultra nightmare preset with dynamic res and dlss set to performance with my rtx 3080 ti. Pretty impressive, kudos to the team behind the engine.

If any single player game deserves to be played at >120 fps it's this

AsiJu and cerebus23 like this.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Returning to this:

I'm (re)watching Hugo's livestream part 20 where they talk about update 6 in particular and Billy Khan (lead engine programmer) confirms 8 GB is really not enough for max settings and RT.

Some users actually reported issues similar to yours where everything was previously maxed, then RT was enabled and they didn't get the performance they should have even with DLSS.
    Reason being they ran out of VRAM.

Also Billy said that dropping texture pool size to High doesn't affect actual texture quality.
    It just increases the amount of texture streaming / decompression needed, marginal increase to CPU usage according to him and anyone running the game from an SSD should see no practical difference.

In other words I guess the highest setting just stores "everything" readily in the VRAM to minimize or outright eliminate texture streaming in game.
    Ultra and High settings increase the amount of texture streaming needed and I suppose only Medium and Low start dropping actual texture quality.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    MarkyG likes this.
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    cerebus23 likes this.
  7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB

AsiJu likes this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I thought this was pretty darn cool:

Corrupt^ and cerebus23 like this.
  9. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Well i stuck it out and have just finished the main game and the 2 Ancient Gods add-ons. Some of the arenas were insanely hard, especially in the Ancient Gods 2 where you had to do the gores nest for a second time for the unlocks. It's so very easy to get trapped in a corner and get overwhelmed.

10. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    better late than never

Maddness likes this.

11. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    We have basically been in lockdown for the last several weeks. So I have managed to play from scratch and finish Doom Eternal plus add-ons, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Control. :D I think my GPU needs a holiday.

12. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Some of the areas you can actually feel the demons slowing you down trying to escape after getting cornered.

There was a tough section on nightmare in Ancient Gods Part 1 with lots of containers. Lots of shield guys, cacodemons, fire barons, Doom Hunter. It's crazy how quickly you can get swarmed to your death by those shield guys. As they stand their constantly spamming shotguns.

Those shield guys really make me sweat more than anything else. They'll two shot you if you're anywhere near them.

Maddness likes this.
  13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah they are a threat, need to be aware of them at all times if present.

Btw microwave beam destroys the shield like that. Also meathook gets past it (falters the soldier).
    Alternate these two to remove shield guys quickly.

Ofc sticky bombs at feet or remote det. rocket behind also work but are less effective.

Or just destroyer blade all at once if grouped up, pretty sure 1 charge is enough, 2 is for sure.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I did not come up with this tech, but I think this is a fairly easy variation of it. Should anyone care:

credit for discovering the feet ballista falter goes to Sylar and bowsr. I think.

15. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That's pretty cool. I had no idea that was even possible.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    There's lots of stuff being discovered still.
    Like instant double lock on, yeetblast (double heatblast), punchswapping, mod swap canceling, fast destroyer blade...

Eternal is legit a fighting game with all the tricks!

17. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Is there any other shooter with this level of weaponry, gameplay and action? I'm just curious. I haven't seen one.

18. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Yeah, killing shield guys isn't the issue. It's when there are 4 - 6+ of them spamming the guns in close quarters. No time to faff with the laser beam. The shotgun guys wouldn't stop coming until the Doom Hunter was dead.

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ultrakill comes close but honestly I prefer Eternal over it.

Try Eternal if you're interested, it's on sale pretty regularly these days.
    I'll say already though, give the game time, it might not win you over instantly and there's a learning curve to it.

Maddness likes this.
  20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Mind your distance and keep moving.

Shotgunners spawn in as long as DH is alive but you still should kill them off if they get in your way.

Also ice bomb + blood punch and SSG at the sled + lock on burst the doom hunter = dead within seconds

Maddness likes this.