DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    That's.... not true. :)
    Andrew is indeed incredibly talented, and a great choice. But, in an industry as wide spread as this, there are hundreds of talented musicians capable of taking on such a project.

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Could be we get a new "star" for heavy metal style video game music.

3. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I would love to see them give a talented unknown a chance.
    As much as I love Andrew's work, and stuff he's done for 3DR specifically, it's always great to see someone get a shot.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Like a no-name generic rap band..

Ayyy..

I.. will let myself out.

AsiJu likes this.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yo-yo, dem bitches go crazy for my crucible!

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I'll go all Arch-Vile and resurrect this thread a bit :)

So currently on my 3rd run (Nightmare) which I started instantly after completing 2nd run on UV.
    No game has had me this "invested" in a while where I keep replaying back-to-back so there is something of the old Doom magic there.

Speaking of which I think this is one thing Eternal accomplishes once you get accustomed to the gameplay and pay a little attention to detail:
    Eternal has very much og. Doom and Doom 2 vibe to it. Yes in great part as eg. some textures are basically HD versions of ones used in og games but also level layouts and general setting contribute to this.

LGR stated in his review this game just feels like Doom, moreso than 2016, and I wholly agree.

Another reason to keep playing is of course mastering the gameplay better, skill ceiling is quite high there.
    I'm currently on Urdak and now the game will throw everything's it got at me. Though the player is also at the most powerful there with all weapons, mods and most masteries etc.

I remember feeling at HMP difficulty the game got basically easy in the last few levels.
    On UV the difficulty did ramp up on last two levels but nothing major, just a few extra lives spent (though I did need to retry Icon of Sin two or three times).

First fight on Urdak at Nightmare showed that there's no room for mistakes at all this time.
    You must choose your targets wisely and take them out quickly.

PS: Super Shotgun - Ballista combo is extremely useful outside fighting the Marauder as well!

(TL;DR: my original mini review holds, best game ever ;) )

Carfax likes this.
  7. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070GTX
    glad you like it buddy. i had a rough ride in my second play.. it was almost too tiring
    to finish it. the first run was very good.

AsiJu likes this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yeah I had that feeling initially on my first run when the game kept handing my ass to me on a platter. Was frustrating.

Will be very interesting to see how the next Doom game turns out (there surely will be one).

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Anyone have any good guesses about first DLC release window?

angelgraves13 likes this.
  10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Probably get news about that in August.
    QuakeCon may be canceled, but I'd be surprised if Bethesda/id don't do something around that time to announce/show some stuff.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Sounds plausible.

Oh yeah finished my Nightmare run. The last two levels were definitely something else... battles were completely insane, in a good way.
    The difference between UV and Nightmare was pretty large in Urdak and Final Sin.