DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    As Pete Hines obviously said as a joke response.
    Yep.

But, it's the cool thing to do... hate on Bethesda. So, there ya go.

Just asking, how long as this type of anti-cheat been used in Rainbow Six Siege? Seriously.

2. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

- Apex Legends
    - Fortnite
    - Player Unknown: Battlegrounds
    - Rainbow Six: Siege
    - Planetside 2
    - H1Z1
    - Day-Z
    - Ark Survival Evolved
    - Dead by Daylight
    - For Honor

Do you play any of those? Because they all also have kernel level anti cheat that runs when the game does

3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    I would say legitimately, I thumb downed it after writing a proper review of the game primarily not because of the anti-cheat and it's method of operation but the way in which it has been included. Adding it over a month after the games release is pathetic it removes the option for legitimate customers to now ask for a refund and shows a true lack of respect for the games consumer base. The fact I couldn't care a jot about the multiplayer but have to have this software installed if I wish to play the single player also irks me considerably. This is an example where the end user should have been asked to authorize install prior to the update being installed on their systems. Folk like myself who have no interest in the multiplayer could have refused, continued to play the single player game and known that we would not have been able to access the multiplayer until we authorized the update.

I also have to ask why have they added this level of anti-cheat to a game with no persistent online economy where their is no monetization process in place while a front and centre multi-player game that has an economy built around preventing people from cheating and does have in game monetization doesn't.

Why does Doom Eternal need this but Fallout 76 doesn't?

4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Like some guys have already said, this is really a dick move from Bethesda. Selling the game without any of this crap and then adding it when the refund period is over, is such a crappy move, it´s hard to believe they really did it... And forcing single players using it, what for???

Also the fact that so many games are using such invasive software as an anti cheat is horrifyng! No one likes cheaters but that doesn´t mean game studios/makers can install any crap they want in our computers with the excuse they are after the cheaters...

Gaming is becoming such a minefield it´s hard to believe...

cerebus23 likes this.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    What does it do exactly for Singleplayer?

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Nothing. But its still active. Which people don't like.

They need to split the sp and mp into two different installs as there is no need to have it running for sp gamers. which I bet 90% of doom players are sp gamers (with this game).

cerebus23 and AsiJu like this.
  7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Actually I did not know it had multiplayer...

CPC_RedDawn and AsiJu like this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I agree splitting SP and MP and refusing Denuvo for SP would be a nice choice to have but personally not bothered by Denuvo.

9. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    When the programs use Ring 0 kernel driver to access entire sytem then Gtfo.
    Remember when Rockstar launcher act as a intruder and Avira or Avast treat him like a virus and denied acces to the system.

Those anti-cheat should be forbiden to acces Ring 0 kernel.
    Online gaming these days are for harvesting data,not for entertainment.
    GTAV_data1.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    cerebus23 and itpro like this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Halo MCC
    Dragonball Xenoverse
    Dragonball fighter Z

have EAC.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Anyhoo second playthrough much smoother sailing.

Infamous Cultist Base has been more or less a breeze this time.
    Only spots I've had to retry were the Slayer Gate and that secret encounter in that damn narrow space with two or three Whiplashes and a Mancubus.

Lost all my extra lives on that!
    Prior to that don't think I had to use a single one, except one on first level being careless with an Arachnotron.

I'd skip the Secret Encounters but attempting to 100 % all levels... and you do get an extra weapon point per each.

12. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Nope. I do not have those games and I'm not interested in those. Nothing to do with the anti cheat, did not know about it but now I'm even less interested.

This time of corona virus when people are working more and more from home using their own computers to connect to the company network with VPN, I really do not want that kind of stuff running all the time. I would be less of a problem if it only ran and scanned stuff when I was playing MP. Still a problem because of data collecting and possibility to install other unwanted stuff, but less of a problem.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The Anti-cheat added to DOOM Eternal does not run all the time.
    It starts when the game is launched, and closes when the game is exited. Yes, it should only start when entering Battlemode, or... they should separate Battlemode into it's own exe.

But, given the backlash, I wouldn't be surprised if there's an update very soon that changes this.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    they don't run all the time.

15. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500

16. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    It should start when game starts and it should close when game closes. Should. I know many things which should do something but don't. My bad I incorrectly wrote that it runs all the time.

Twitter
    Which is not the case.

Update has caused Linux version to stop working.

Based on this, it's unlikely that they are going to deliver Denuvo free SP.
    If separate SP or MP launchers, perhaps that would be too easy to hack Denuvo free MP? Likely not what they had planned so perhaps not so easy to do that. Interested in how long it takes to hack this.

Is there somewhere information about new people who have been banned?

Very bad communication about this subject from ID/Bethesda.

But all is fine, Denuvo is saying that you can trust them and it will not do anything bad. I wonder if they are going to release more info about how it works. Really not liking how this sounds.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    ^ that Bethesda community rep spoke out if his arse it seems... as not even official patch notes claim that you could actually uninstall Denuvo for playing just SP.

Yes, it (patch notes) states you can uninstall it but doesn't say you could still keep playing.

Hopefully fix for Linux users is coming soon.

I understand the concerns with Ring 0 kernel mode anti-cheat solutions but also understand how a low level access is required for true effectiveness.

Although the alternate way to spin it I suppose is to have a robust cheat detection mechanism on server side where no client app / driver is needed.
    Let the cheaters cheat, that way they should be easier to detect as well. And obviously immediately on first offense issue a permanent hardware ban.

Can it really be that impossible anno 2020 to detect cheating via simply monitoring what actually happens in game?
    Surely this could be done server side and even more reliably than client side?

Someone has consistently 100 % accuracy with inhumane reaction times or can land shots from impossible angles or does way more damage than is weapon appropriate etc.

Edit: saying this whilst understanding that preventing cheating 100 % without causing collateral issues would be the optimal solution.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, the help site on bethesda.net stated that you can uninstall Denuvo anti-cheat, but it is required to run to the game at this time.
    At no place on the official website does it say you can remove it, and continue to play the single player.

I know people want to jump to "The Bethesda guy lied!!!" because they want Besthesda to be the asshole. But, there's a strong possibility... the person simply did not know better.
    Which, happens.
    A lot of the time, support staff... are random people who don't actually play the games themselves, only have a document in front of them, containing various details. And, I've seen first hand, how these people can read something directly off a document... and then repeat it back completely wrong.

It might be a plan to make it so you can play the campaign with it uninstalled, but as of right now, uninstalling it makes Eternal not run.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Has bethesda even been able to release a video without any controversy following it at all.... it's like they are just plagued by stupid decisions.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I dont understand why it has to be activated all the time and not just for multiplayer. It would not harm performance FPS in single player, and it would keep cheaters away in MP (since its active) (also assuming Denove is efficient enough to catch cheaters).