DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Got him in the end. Guess it was luck more than anything else :) I must have had good aim at those moments. Took a good couple of Super Shotgun blasts.

And yes, it's definitely a Dark Souls miniboss but without the i-frames :p

2. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Those brains on 4 legs ones, im struggling a lot with low ammo

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah you need to stagger and shoot him some half a dozen times.

Btw you can do splash damage to Marauder as well, shoot a rocket "next" to him or remote detonate or throw a grenade.
    Plus it seems if he has his back turned to you you may get a shot in as well, he might not always be able to use his shield in time.

I just did a Slayer Gate where you fight a Marauder and some Sentinel Drones or something (and after that a wave of Hell Knights and Barons and...).
    I could only really focus on the Marauder for a few seconds at a time but he dropped quicker than usual so he must have been damaged already.

There's also a Marauder fight at the beginning of, mission 9 I think it was, but I'm getting used to it already.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So he'll be back? Phew, I hoped I wouldn't see him again :)

I read about that rocket detonate thing but that only works if he doesn't move and not moving isn't exactly his cup of tea. I'll see what happens later in the game, like you said, splash damage could be a thing. Wonder if he can be frozen? Also I've noticed that sometimes he raises his shield for no reason, what a weirdo.

5. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Finished the game couple of days ago. All in all it was great. Graphics are great as is the performance. Sounds and music too, even though I still prefer the music in the previous game somehow. Story? Yeah, whatever.. Ripping and tearing? F… yes!

A few thing annoyed me as hell – jumping sections, buff totems and of course the Marauder.

Jumping was just a bit too much at times, not to mention the Mario stuff .. that was just lame.

Buff totems were totally needless IMO. Just can’t see the point at all, and especially when you have the Archvile, which btw was not introduced like all the other demons, and lead to a frustrating first fight.

The Marauder was not that bad for me. It did not have a place in large groups at all, but fortunately he shows up just a few times.

Finally, the late game bosses were meh … Looked cool, but somehow did not play well.

The game shines when in pure combat arenas and most of it is just that. It just that there were a few duds here and there.

BTW played it on HMP difficulty with a controller.

6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yeah he'll be back and this time he'll have some mob back up to support him and he never ever gets any less f ing annoying.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    On the other hand I've only completed about half the game so I guess there will be other annoying mobs as well :) My guess the Archvile won't be too nice.

8. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I just wanna say how darn good this game is optimzed, i could run the ultra nightmare setting without a sweat on my 1070, amazing job

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I just encountered the Arch-Vile myself and it is annoying for sure.

Spawns in to secluded place so you have to track it down and takes a ton of beating to kill (unless there's some "trick" I haven't found yet).
    I had one round in the BFG so I just whammed the Arch-Vile with it and guess what, it was enough to bring it to a glory kill state, not outright kill it.

At least the hitscanning attack is gone, thank god...

and if you falter the Arch-Vile while it is summoning demons, the summoning will be cancelled.
    Take out the turret immediately with a sticky bomb (shotgun) or a precision bolt (heavy cannon).

After that just avoid getting too close and not too much trouble.
    One tactic I found works nicely with the Arachnotron early on is sticky bomb turret, switch to full auto mod and just pellet it to death.

Remember to chainsaw for ammo regularly, the chainsaw will automatically refill one unit over time even if there aren't canisters around.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    ramthegamer likes this.
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hey anyone know how many Slayer Gates there are in total in the campaign?

You need 6 to unlock the Unmaker (that's the correct spelling ;) ) and I've missed one in Super Gore Nest. I found the key but couldn't find the actual gate at the time.

So will I need to replay the mission or are there more than 6 Gates available total?

11. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yup, what makes it worse is two factors.

1). The level when it first appears is set up so that one arena you have to find the buff totem prior to setting about on your killing spree. The next arena after that the Archvile appears, so on initial start you're thinking got to find the buff totem, you spend a few minutes kiteing around looking for the buff totem only to finally work out that there isn't one. That it's the Archvile doing the buffing.
    2). Unlike every other bad guy the Archvile doesn't get an intro, so you have no idea what it is and what it can do combine that with you having just done a combat section with a buff totem in it.

Is it annoying, no not really. I always keep a cruiable shot or a BFG round handy and the second I enter a situation that has one I make straight for the Archvile and take it out.

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Not gonna lie, chain gun with mobile turret fully upgraded with freeze nades are my best friend for any mid to high level demon.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I keep reading about this "hitscanning" thing. Sometimes I feel like running around doesn't help since mobs always hit you (unless you are actually hidden behind something).

I got the BFG so I'll definitely save it for those situations, thanks for the heads-up.

14. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    Cool, I might just wait for this to drop before I carry on ( have 4 missions left ). Use the break to run through RE 3.

I personally love the game, it has been superb so far but some baffling bugs made it in to final build like dodgy enemy AI in places ,HDR map bug and late game sometimes the glory kills glitch as if it's clipped through the scenery.

15. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I am totally digging this game for sure, but have some similar complaints as the rest of you. That Maurader was one piece of garbage cheap ass demon for sure. The HDR is down right amazing but the map bug is frustrating. I will replay the game on a higher difficulty when they fix it so I can do some secret hunting. I actually opted to play this on my 75" tv at 60hz just for the HDR instead of my 120hz ultrawide just because the HDR adds so much depth, its unreal.

16. OpenSystem

OpenSystem Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    The best part of this game is the comical sound of a head shot.

17. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Looks like I'll get to play the game after all. Valve just released an update for Proton with a bunch of drm fixes.

18. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Oops!... I Did It Again...LIKE Britney Bitch,like Doom 2016 got it,and did not like it.This one thought I was missing something and Did it again,man I suck.Game is not for me.
    Even HDR on did not save the game for me(HDR worked fine on Nvidia Card).I must say all games should play like this game ,so no one ever has to update there graphics card.Yeah not going to happen ever where new games play great.
    Also now that I think about it,I have not liked any Doom game ever,since Doom was released in any form,I will still get the next one again OOPS.

19. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I will never talk sh!t about using controllers for FPS games ever again! :eek:

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    There are no hitscanning enemies in Eternal, as is the case with most modern shooters.
    Modern meaning since around early-mid 2000s ie. after rendering projectiles for all attacks wasn't unfeasible anymore.

Old 90s shooters used hitscanning for some enemies and player weapons purely due to tech. limitations. I think.

Arch-Vile's flame attack in Doom 2 game was a hitscan attack.
    If you are within line of sight, you will take damage.

Same for rifle, shotgun and chaingun zombies and spider mastermind.
    Doom had lots of projectile based enemies too, imps, barons, revenants, mancubi....

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020