DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The one thing they've kept since Carmack's days, were his strong focus on player and control feedback. Having the 1:1 response time.
    And given how fast pace and important timing can be, I think they made the right move.

Eternal is still an incredible looking game. And thankfully, id were smart enough to know people being able to play it smoothly was more important then pushing the boundaries of graphics.
    Yes, there's plenty of room in there for it to be pushed even further. But, given how amazing the game already looks... and how great it plays, I think they did it right.

More studios need to focus on finding that balance.

Turanis and angelgraves13 like this.
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I always disable motion blur because to me it counters the entire point of having a high refresh rate, low response time display which is all about having as much motion clarity / resolution as possible.

Some games use it to mask frame pacing issues though, or rely on motion blur interpolating frames or similar. Can't remember an example but these exist.
    Turn MB off and camera motion becomes stuttery or jerky.

I always turn off motion blur, chromatic aberration, film grain and vignetting, if present.
    On the other hand I always keep depth of field enabled, as long as implementation is high quality (Bokeh) and it's not overdone.

3. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeap, motion blur, CA, film grain and vignette always off. I'm playing a game, not watching a movie.

AsiJu likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Playing a high fidelity game like Control where framerate is lower than you'd want and you dont need lightning fast movements blur can be alright, especially per object blur but yeah, even i turn it off.

5. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Finished the game two times, first on UV and honestly it was a chore at times, especially the latest levels with the constantly repeating arena/platforms scenario and respawning hordes of the same demons.

In second run I selected the lowest difficulty and suprisingly had much more fun with it, not dying as much (if ever) and not being overhelmed in fights. It actually started to feel like a pretty fun shooter. Also this time I didn't felt like an autistic twat with OCD for constantly watching all the stats and cooldown timers. The number of buttons you need to press while fighting just to maintain inventory and keep yourself alive and armed is ridiculous. I seriously think they overdone it in this game, but that just me - some people can't get enough of this it seems.

So overall a nice shooter. The engine optimization is phenomenal and keeps me hooked the entire time. But still - the platforming sections can go f..k themselfs! They don't make any sense and if some clever demon would remove them, because demons can spawn/jump/fly wherever they want, apparently the whole doomguy's quest would be screwed...

Turanis and AsiJu like this.
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Personally I don't mind the platforming but neither do I feel it really adds anything to the gameplay loop.

Yes I can appreciate that it allows more verticality and creativity in level design but even then travelsal could be via lifts, jump pads or teleports.

On the other hand figuring out how to reach some tricky secret can be rewarding and so far these have been cleverly designed.

Perhaps at the very least make Slayer autograb those climb walls (even without dashing) and maybe allow SSG hook to grapple to these surfaces.

How cool would that be, to swing around like a Spiderman with a shotgun...

Duke Nil and Turanis like this.
  7. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Current climbing the walls somehow sucks,a heavy demon Slayer jumping like an Spiderman...
    Supershotgun hook to grapple things its an interesting idea,like Spiderman. :)

AsiJu likes this.
  8. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I'm finding the ammo management of this game really annoying and just the annoying need to constantly switch weapons.... I've just got to the Super Gore Nest so maybe this is just early game, I hope it improves in this respect. Chainsawing fodder to replenish ammo is just far too gimmicky. Only let down for me so far.

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    @Turanis
    Yeah well not sure how much use that would be as is, just an idea, lols.

Just realised I haven't posted an "update" recently and currently starting mission 7. Still on HMP difficulty and having more fun as game progresses!
    ARC complex was a neat map, so far all Earth based levels have impressed me! Hopefully last maps will be as solid.

I did the Slayer Gate fight with two Tyrants and I don't think I've been that much on the edge of my seat ever. Really fun yet challenging.
    You certainly understand what it means that this game demands more from the player than your usual old school shooter.

Juggling weapons and abilities is becoming more natural and upgrades do help.

To try and "force" myself to learn to remember to use grenades and flame belch I invented the following rules for myself:

- always use flame belch on a group of fodder enemies
    - always throw a grenade at a group of fodder enemies
    - always switch grenade type after throwing one
    - always use flame belch before chainsawing or glory killing a demon

ofc you can mix and match: first throw an ice grenade, then flame belch, then frag = profit :)

Oh and the rune that decreases equipment cooldown for enemies killed by, or under the influence of, equipment is quite useful.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It helps at 60FPS and below, as it hides the framerate blur and replaces it with motion blur that looks less bad. Usually you want to lower the setting the higher your framerate gets. At 30FPS you'd need a high value, at 60 a low one, and once you get to 90 it should be set to zero. Once you get to around 80-90FPS, it is pointless. This assumes a high Hz display though. With a 60Hz one, you'll always have ugly 60FPS blur, so a low amount of motion blur can help.

Except for per-object motion blur. That one is actually nice because it makes fast moving objects look realistic.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hmm, never thought of it that way.

Guess I gonna try it with games that allow setting either camera or object motion blur.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah if it's done right.

Evil within has camera blur and object motion blur, i disabled object because it looked ugly, monsters lost detail.

Crysis 1 looked better with blur, masked that jitter at lower fps.

I personally keep CA, in destiny2 it makes a nice effect on riskrunner :D

AsiJu likes this.
  13. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I have to agree with you on this, while the combat has clicked pretty much for me it sits in a weird area between being OTT and silly. For example a new enemy who does the buff perk on the bad guys gets no introduction so I was left wondering where the totem was I was meant to smash only to finally work out that it was this bad guy giving enemies the perk and he takes a hell of a lot of fire power to put down, the entire time you're kiting bad guys and taking opportune shots to restock health and ammo if you stop for even a split second you get the ever loving bejesus smashed outta of you. The battle is less about strategy and just move, dodge and kill what you can while trying to take pot shots at the buffing bad guy.

The flipside of this happen in the exact same battle, I get to the end and I have one Mancubus and all I have left is my chainsaw. Now I have no desire to get in close to find if this works or as in most cases you go for the chainsaw get told 'nope' and then get slapped down HARD. So now I am having to kite this Mancubus waiting for the game to spawn in some chod so I can go chainsaw it to get ammo to kill the Mancubus.

The game is just an oddity. When it's fast it's too fast and when it's slow it's too slow. The game has way to much micromanagement of player inventory for the pace of combat.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hah like Blood back in the 1990's then. :D

Though that game suffered a bit from how the easy difficulty was more like medium or hard of other Build Engine games themselves not exactly easy or fair at times(Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior chiefly.) and then above that enemies got immediate reaction times and some really terrible abilities.

Plus the basic enemy was a rapid fire hitscanner and these were everywhere!
    Like DOOM2 with 100% more chaingunners.
    (So...Plutonia? :p )

Suppose it's also intended for players to feel a desire to replay levels after finishing the game or getting the various core upgrades and all that on a higher difficulty level after learning DOOMy Dancing and this little ballet meaning how combat works and what works on which enemy type.

...Or you get the infinite ammo collectible and *everybody* gets the Duke Nukem Forever treatment "Have a taste of my ball!" as the BFG is put to some good use. :D
    Assuming it even works with special weapons like that, more of a mop really cleaning up basic and fodder leaving you to deal with or alternatively weaken the big dudes.
    (But then all the weaker enemies are now John Romero'ed meaning gibbed so what to use to refill against when that becomes needed ha ha.)

EDIT: Although for being a cleanup weapon it does still do a respectable job against the "Super Heavy" type of demons even if it's generally not a one-hitter.
    (The other not-chainsaw thingie might work when available though whereas the chainsaw itself far as I know doesn't generally apply to at least some of these enemies in this category.)

Plus the collectible but that's more of a special end-of-game extra.
    Part Unmaker of the N64 DOOM arsenal and part BFG but like a shotgun not bad but not as big of a spread as what the BFG can do though it destroys most any enemy really quickly when not used as a group removal tool aka a room cleaner.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  15. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Do the enemies get weaker at lower difficulties? As in the same enemy takes less shots to kill?

I'm doing the opposite, played first time on UV and now doing nightmare and the enemies don't seem any tougher, just that I take more damage. I'm enjoying it and I don't really want myself to be tougher, but it would be fun if the enemies died easier. Makes the guns feel more powerful :)

16. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yeah I am done with this game. One enemy, one enemy The Marauder it is such a cheap enemy. Immune to all attacks. Has a minute window of attack opportunity to do any damage, takes longer than ANY other enemy to beat, can cover distance in a split second, takes your health down to nowt with one or two hits. The utter definition of a cheap enemy. They are not fun or engaging to fight and throwing them in amongst a mob of enemies doesn't make them any less cheap. They utterly, totally and completely break the flow of the combat, combat is usually the player running around constantly moving ebbing and flowing from enemy to enemy, opportunity to opportunity picking and choosing enemies as you encounter them but stick a Marauder in to the mix and they become the total focus of player because the second, the very second you aren't focusing on them they are either using their stupid flame dog to attack you or doing that stupid multi warping around thing. You can no longer keep moving about as they have a tiny and specific set of circumstances that allow you to counter attack and if you step out side of those circumstance you just get your ass beaten.

The other enemies, the big bads that are a boss when you first meet them and then get thrown in as regular chod as you progress in turn get easier because you either get better weapons that are more effective or develop skills and abilities that assist you, they pose a challenge still but not boss level challenge but The Marauder is immune to even the most powerful weapon the BFG, there is not skill or ability that allows you to over come it more easily because it has ONE, just ONE single window in which you can do damage and nothing allows you to either open or make that window more open

The very definition of a tedious and CHEAP ENEMY.

17. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    While I do agree the Marauder needs to be adjusted.
    Honestly, I'd rather fight him then the Archvile.

The Marauder was great as a boss, that encounter... fine. As a standard enemy, you should be able to counter the shield.
    But even so, he's relatively easy to deal with.
    Keep a medium distance. Too far away, he throws the axe or spawns the wolf. Too close, shoots you with his super shotgun. Keep the middle ground, and he will charge you... hit him once with the Ballista, then immediately follow it up with a super shotgun blast.
    Do this... three or so times, dead.

Honestly, he's not that hard, it's just a matter of using his strength against him.

18. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    You guys reminded me of this lol

[​IMG]

Turanis likes this.
  19. OpenSystem

OpenSystem Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    If you all get bored of Doom Eternal. Start a new game of Rise of the Tomb Raider, it comes complete with Arena combat, Monkey bars and Puzzle Platforming. ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  20. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Guys I figured out fun mode in this game, just play on nightmare with the overdrive cheat on. Infinite ammo, faster move speed, helps if you're hammered drunk too lol

AsiJu likes this.